small stump grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SWAMPY036

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Is any one out there running just 1 small stump grinder? Being new to the tree business I do not have a stump grinder yet . My only problem is I am worried about subbing the stumps out because I will not have control of when or how the job is done. I am taking alot of pride in my work and building a good image of my new company. But some people want the tree and stump done by one person or under one bid. So if I get the tree down low impact take the extra time to do a great clean up and billy stumper comes in throwing cigarette butts everywhere swearing and leaves a mess now my name is bad. So I was thinking of maybe a 1625 or a 4012 can these machines do almost any stump. I dont know of very many trees around that would be more than 4' across. most are smaller than 2.5' :cheers:

i started out with a used rayco 1620 i still own it it worked good then i saved up and bought a vermeer 252 and a rayco 1665 tow behind for the large stumps. you can make do with a small self propelled unit.

For now you can always rent a grinder as needed. I agree that the rental units generally bite, but heck, let them buildup until you get enough to make it worth your time, rent one and bang them out on a friday. at least you know what kind of job was done if you do it.
-Ralph

i use the husqvarna stump grinder.

it's made by bluebird.it's alot better than the vermeer that HD rents.it's nice and easy to get in back yards.if i get a bigger one i'll keep this.i really like it.

I own a 630B Vermeer 35 hp. Its a pull behind but small enough to fit in a 35 inch gate if you turn the wheel around which is easy. They are for sale used about everywhere and have had mine 7 years and always ran well. I have taken out 6 ft stumps and 6 inches. You can also pull it with a 4 wheeler in tight areas. I avoid the rental walk behinds they will plain flat ware you out if you do it very long. If you want to sub contract which i do for several tree firms just stay with them for the 1st few and see how things go. If they want your business they will perform to your excitation's if not there is more where they came from. I would just buy the grinder and it will pay for itself in a year or two at most.

swampy,

I've been using solely a vermeer 252 for 4 years now. After renting one for a year, I had no other option than to buy my own. I found that rental shops just don't keep sharp enough teeth on machines since most renters are homeowners who don't know how to properly operate a stump grinder.

I've ground probably a thousand stumps by now with my vermeer 252 and my only suggestion if you get one is to throw the vermeer teeth away and switch to greenteeth (which I use) or the sandvik wheel which I've heard a lot about. The greenteeth switch out so much faster than the factory teeth do. As a result, you beat up your machine far less by keeping it set up with sharp teeth all the time.

I just completed a 500-stump city contract that included stumps from 6-60" in diameter. I ground every single one with the vermeer 252. Big stumps do take longer since you have to clean up grindings as you go or else they pile up and block your view of the remaining stump. However, for just getting your feet wet in the business, I wouldn't hesitate to advise you to start with a machine of that size.

As for me, now that I've been in business for 4 years, I now have sufficient clientel to justify adding on a bigger grinder which is what I've just done. As part of a business buyout, I just acquired a vermeer 665A (65hp) grinder and a Rayco Super Jr 1625 (basically the same thing as my vermeer 252).

The 665A will hopefully help me tackle the larger stumps in less time; however, I'll still keep my 252 handy for backyard extractions and for when I'm working on plush lawns.

If you're interested in the Rayco 1625, I have more info on it listed in the Trading Post > stump machines section. It's a 1998 with a new motor and only 310 hours. It runs like new but, I'll sell it for half the price of new.

For now you can always rent a grinder as needed. I agree that the rental units generally bite, but heck, let them buildup until you get enough to make it worth your time, rent one and bang them out on a friday. at least you know what kind of job was done if you do it.
-Ralph

This is what we do for now....for a small startup company, it doesn't seem worth the cost to buy one yet. This is also a great way to try out different machines.

This is what we do for now....for a small startup company, it doesn't seem worth the cost to buy one yet. This is also a great way to try out different machines.

this is what I do after 6 years in biz. I utterly despise grinding and cleaning up stumps, so the last thing on earth I want to buy is a stump grinder. I only grind those stumps that I cannot get out of doing.
-Ralph

Swampy036, If you are in a position where it is financially feasible, a small stump grinder (in my experience) is a good investment. We bought one 13 years ago with the idea that the tree business would pay for it and it would be something we could still do in our "retirement" years. The machine paid for itself in just over a year. We schedule stumps one day a week and generally speaking are booked.

It is a reliable money maker and clients definitely like to have one company to deal with.

DMc

Back