Small stumpers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

topnotchtree

Does anybody have anything good to say about those small stump grinders that look like funky rototilllers? I am sure they would be useless on large stumps, but are they worth while for smaller stumps? They seem like they would be underpowered with only 13 horse engines. Any comments?

I've got a Rayco Rg12 (now replaced in the line with a 13hp Honda instead of the 12 hp Kohler). I have ground thousands of stumps with it. It smokes on small stumps-I can do them faster than a big machine can position for them . On stumps over 30" it does take a while but it makes me money. I can get to stumps that are inaccessible to larger machines. I've watched other guys grinding front yard stumps with tow behind units and they weren't much faster than the RG12.-Probably because guys with horsepower and hydraulics tend to leave dull teeth in place. I run sharp teeth and keep the cutters in the wood .:)

P.S. My biggest stump with the RG12 was 5 feet in diameter. It took me 2.5 hours including bagging all the excess chips for the little widow lady. Typically a 30" stump takes 20-40 minutes to grind and rake the chips back in the hole--depending on access and wood type.

I have the Rayco RG13 with the Honda 13hp motor. I have had it for a year and a half now. I am pleased with it. I am doing my taxes and find that the stump grinder doubled my business. I also like that I can get into back yards that the behind the truck models can not access. There are a couple behind the truck models in my area, so how you make money is to do something that someone else doesn't. I saw the need and bought it new from the factory and shipped to me. I can say that it was worth it. Like Stumper, I keep the teeth sharp ( It only has 8 on it so it doesn't take too long to sharpen.) I too have done some large stumps 4-5 ft in dia., usually cottonwood. The only drawback that I find with the smaller stumpgrinder is on larger stumps it can be a pretty good workout.

I have never owned a small grinder of the sizes that you are saying. Our smallest grinder is a RG 50, which fits through a 3' gate.

About the only time I could think that a tiny grinder would be better is when the access is less than 3', which isnt very many times. However I have a removal job tomorrow that a grinder that size would be nice, but with only 13-20 hp I might fall asleep:D.

its all about horses for courses ..if i had a small machine for tight spots id be chargeing ..a very high rate..as its a niche market..ive been thinking of buying a small machine for ages..

check this out for a great machine www.danequip.co.uk

RC, THose Doskos are not bad machines but the Raycos are more heavily constructed.

Preach, That is interesting -that the RG13 only has 8 teeth. The Small Dosko I ran many years ago only had 8 also. The RG12 has 12. -The tighter spacing makes for a little smoother cutting-but it isn't a big deal.-Is the Wheel 16" on the Rg13 or did they decrease wheel size also?

STUMPER did you notice that danequip has changed the axel so it can fit through a 26 inch gap...danequip manufacture these machines overhere now, but they sell at $10,000 US...... i think that price is a bit steep

I rented those small grinders a few times years ago before the current self propelled grinders came out.. They are sure hard to use, but the 26 inch width comes in handy sometimes.

I have an even smaller one, it's the little 60 pounder with a 6 cubic inch Partner powerhead (much the same as a Husky 2100). Currently, several screws are broken due to vibration, so it is sitting. but I have done stumps with it that would have been difficult or impossible with anything larger. It is a pain to use, as it is just too light. I once did a 3 foot cedar stump...which took a few hours, but did get done!

I rented a praxis eight horsepower a couple of times. I think an ax would be faster. Maybe it wasn't sharp enough but a fifteen inch birch stump took me about fourty five minutes to grind six inches below ground level. The thing was just smoking when I got done.

Stumper the wheel dia. is about 11 in. , not counting the teeth protrusion beyond the wheel. It is heavily built and welded. I haven't had any parts break or fall off. It may be a little on the heavy side compared to some others but it will hold up well.

I rented a rayco once with the 18hp honda on it, it rocks!
I still favor the sc252 for backyard work.
If you get a push type, watch your legs, the handle really hurts when it comes banging down!

may as well get a 25hp hdrulic slew self propeled rayco vermeer for a few extra inches wider there heaps better in the long runyou can do 95 %of stump where as a small manual slew is no fun on a group of stumps or larger ones,hp is the key to stump removal

i lost a good customer through not having a small stump grinder she wanted a small stump out ..but the access was only 30 inches wide so i couldn't get my vermeer to it ..anyway she had to have it out .i couldn't rent one anywhere so she called in someone else another tree firm..i bet she wont be calling for me again :angry: ..i hate loosing customers to other firms..so i will probably be buying ..a small grinder from www.danequip.co.uk i like the fact that there only 26 inches wide but still have 25 hp

I bought a small Dosko a while ago and I've been pleased with its performance. For the cost, it has been a good buy. Two people can lift it up into planter beds and hard to reach areaa.

'The machine is for sale too. I live in Mpls. but it could be shipped anywhere. Drop a note off line if you're interested.

Tom

Heres my grinder. It`s 20 hp but still in the same catagory. I prefer it to the 252 Vermeer because its ground speed and manuverability rocks. If your looking to purchase a unit of this size, get a self propelled machine usually about $2000(20 stumps) more but over the years that you own it and the thousands of stumps you remove you will realize it is a a do-all machine. If your terrain is hilly you must have self propelled machine. Don`t be cheap, spend the extra $ money for a self propelled machine and you will be more profotable and enjoy what you do more. It makes a big difference.

I have a very similar promark machine. We get $150 per hour to grind stumps (for multiple stumps, $300 min. for hourly jobs) and we charge by the inch for smaller jobs. I removed 25 stumps ranging in size from 8" to 30" in 2.5 hours. Sharp teeth are the key.

Latest posts

Back