Small telescopic lift in tree service

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GIjim

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently purchased a small lift / cherry picker (21 ft working height) for a good deal. The previous owner had no idea how old it was, but some investigation would lead me to believe its over 20 years old. Appears to have spent its entire life stored in a garage (just barely fits inside mine, few inches of clearance). Seems to be in great condition considering its age. Has an actual full size bucket, not the more common cage. Just telescopes straight up and down. Has 4 outriggers. Just picked it up this weekend and used it on one job already. Really handy for quick trims, obviously smaller trees. Figure 21 ft work height and a 10ft polesaw can reach most everything on a small tree without climbing. Its also handy to move up and down so quickly. This is my first lift, and I could already see how being able to boom around woulda been handy haha. Its also able to fit through small gates. Anyone else use small portable lifts?

The hydraulic system appears to need no maintenance. The previous owner who had the unit did nothing during the 5 years he owned it. He said he was told it was a closed system and needed nothing. I finally was able to dig up manuals for this machine online, and they appear to support that. The only thing stated is to change hydraulic fluid if it is unusually dark but otherwise do nothing. They do not, however, explain how one would drain existing fluid in the system. Any maintenance ideas? Its been well greased it seems.

Jim

Let this sit for a week, no thoughts? What type of lifts are other people using if any? How are you moving your lifts around, leveling them on slopes, etc.

I dont think too many peeps use those man. Bigger maybe, but if its only 21ft, I don't think it would interest to many.

lift

I use a 60 foot articulating lift. You should read up on safety issues concernig the proper usage of this 'new to you' lift. Is it a boom or scissor lift? In either case, forget about it on slopes, extremely dangerous. Never tie off or sling a limb from it. Soft ground could be the end of it & you along with it if you are not careful. Download just about any similar lift's operating manual & all the safety info will be in ther. Good luck

Is the lift like this?

attachment.php

If not post a picture if you can.

The smallest I've used for tree work is 52 feet with a jiv boom, and that's too short at times. Even a 60 foot lift has it's limitations.

21 feet I can reach with a pruning pole from the ground, anywhere under the tree. That 21 foot working height is when the lift is straight up, which means you'd have to have it set up directly under the limb you want to reach at 21 feet. The farther you go to the sides the lower the working height, assuming your lift is the articulated type. If so, it should have 4 jacks on it, and it should have a self leveling system, so that you start it up, set a switch, and push a button for it to lower the jacks and come to a level position, when it's level you should get a green light telling you it's level.

Even so, you're not going to get much done with a 21 foot lift. You'd be better off with a pole, with a pole you can just walk around under the tree, with your lift you'll have to hook to it and move again and again, and you'll still only be working the very lowest parts of the tree.

Unless you have other uses for it, you should sell it or trade it in on something else.

Back