Smokehouse pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeeVee

East Coast Champion
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Sorry this has too many topics, I didn't know where it would fit best, so I'll share it with you guys since this is the room where I spend the most time. I do spend a bit of time at the Firewood and heating room.....

I had some White and Red Oak and Pignut Hickory and Magnoilia milled July 2005. Whiich is being installed as interior planking now. (Thats what I'm doing with my milled lumber) The Wood Mizer came to me and in two days produced 3600 BF, which was stickered under the building.

I had a large Live Oak go down in 03 in Hurricane Charlie. This holiday season, I got around to bucking the top of this tree, and the biggest crotch section was so wet, the rooster tail from the saw was three parts water, one part chips, and gallons dripped out of it when the log was opened.

One of the branches was hollow, and I was aiming to burn it at the firepile that evening. Sitting there watching it burn and enjoying a golden soda, I though out loud, "I bet I could smoke some meat over that open end" To which my brother the artist said something like , "You can't do that" More Adult beverages and Fade to black.

So the next afternoon my wife reminded me we had hungry folks showing up, and when was I going to start a fire and build this smoker? You know how wives are. (I got a keeper, regardless)

I built this little doghouse with a Porter Cable trim gun, and a Ryobi 18 volt circ saw in under thirty minutes. The White Oak is half inch thick by twelve inch wide planks I had milled that were cut-offs from doing the interior work. Maybe they were the cupped ends, or were slightly split from curing for two plus years under the Lounge.....

The rest is history.

I knew it was temporary, but I figure I (recycled) made the most out of what some would have just made firewood.

I fully intend to use every piece I can from the first one, to build a permanent one with a keg or 55 gallon drum as a sidedrafting firebox.

http://community.webshots.com/user/thegeevee?vhost=community

Back