Smoking saw question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alderman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've got a little Homelite XL that was given to me. The little bugger runs very well and I use it for light cutting and limbing. The other day I was burning a couple of brush piles and was using the saw to cut limbs. I restarted the saw after it was sitting for 5 minutes and got quite a bit of smoke out of the muffler. It ran fine and the smoke cleared after 30 seconds or so. Only happened the one time as I ran it several times after and there was no smoke. Was curious as to what would cause this so I am seeking answers from those in the know. I am running 32:1 mix in all my saws.

Quit giving it cigarettes? It probably hadn't run for a while and you broke loose all the gummy crap in the crankcase and carb and burnt it out. I bet it even smelt a bit like kerosine or really nasty gas for a bit!
Andy

Better give it the patch. :D

My old super wiz had smoke pouring out of it at first, from the old gas in it.

The smoke may be from bar oil. If the duckbill in the oil tank isn't working properly, or if the clearance for the shaft that's on the oil pump diaphram is too large (for the XLs that use the pump diaphram), the engine can suck in bar oil into the crankcase. There are some previous threads that talk about this problem.

Dan

Latest posts

Back