Smoking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Climb020

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have noticed while reading many of the threads on many of sites that smokers are getting it stuck to them. I have noticed some tree companies have a no smoking policy while on the customers property. I would hate, as a smoker for the no smoking rule to be implemented in even more companies.
Yes I understand that it is usually the smokers fault in the first place that the rules are implemented. It makes the job site unsightly to the customer seeing cigarette butts all over their lawn. Just asking the smokers to smoke responsibly and help stop the infringement of smokers rights.
And I also understand that time may be wasted during the job due to smoking and this could be stopped as well if we just think for a second.

Here are some general rules I have came up with:
1) Don't take cigarette brakes. We work out side, find the right time to smoke while working.
2) Put the cigarette butts either in with the wood chips if they are going to a recycling center, or in the garbage, or an ashtray. If you cannot find any of these things put them in your pocket until you do.
3) Avoid smoking around the customer at all times. They may see you smoking but just don't approach them while doing it.

Right times to smoke:
1) On way to job site.
2) During the walk through of the job site, after introducing yourself to the homeowner.
3) On your lunch brake or your 15 min. brake.
4) While dragging brush. Almost everyone on the job site drags brush either at one time or another. Smoke while walking back to the area of brush.

Wrong times to smoke:
:bang: 1) While operating a chainsaw. Two hands on the saw. If the butt is in your mouth the smoke will burn your eyes and mess up your vision. Need to see what you are cutting.
2) While climbing unless while in the tree for long periods of time (3 hours plus) and a normal break would be taken for about 5 minutes to collect yourself and have a drink.
:bang: 3) When fueling anything, including chainsaws.
3) When there are rules do to religious beliefs and such that do not allow smoking. The time and place, if any, should be talked about with the client.

I'd argue the wrong time to smoke is anytime in one's life. There is no right time.

As for smoking on the way to the job site, that is now illegal in company vehicles here(because they are a workplace), and what about the non smoker who has to inhale the second hand carcinogens in a vehicle cab.

Smoking as you walk through.....the habit is perceived as low class, so if you want to contribute to the widely misconceived perception that tree service personnel are a bunch of neandrithals, OK fine by me....

You want to smoke-in the street, not on the customer's property.

There are a precious few places left where it is socially acceptable left to smoke- in your own home, or that of someone else that does not give a d*mn about their health, on your own property, or in your privately owned vehicle. Or on the street. Otherwise, not on.

Not the answer you wanted I am sure.

Climb020 said:
Yes I understand that it is usually the smokers fault in the first place that the rules are implemented.

I'm glad you recognize that. But from your further comments, I see that you don't understand the issue from a non-smoker's point of view. Read on:

Climb020 said:
It makes the job site unsightly to the customer seeing cigarette butts all over their lawn.

Yes, and worse, there is the small matter of the SMOKE. Are you hearing me? It's not just about the BUTTS, it's about the SMOKE. For some people, it's jsut a matter of not liking it. For some people (like asthmatics), it's a serious health threat. Yes, I know you're outside. It's still a problem.

Climb020 said:
Just asking the smokers to smoke responsibly and help stop the infringement of smokers rights.

You don't have a right to inflict your habit on other people. Until you can keep your smoke, ashes, and butts to yourself, don't talk about your rights.

Climb020 said:
2) Put the cigarette butts either in with the wood chips if they are going to a recycling center

Wrong answer. If I go get chips from a recycling center, I sure don't want cigarette butts in them. It's NOT acceptable to have cigarette butts on my property - why should I have to pick them out of woodchips that are being spread around my property? What gives you the right to pollute the wood chips? Would you dump used motor oil in them?

Climb020 said:
or in the garbage

Whose? Yours? Fine. I don't want them in MINE.

Climb020 said:
If you cannot find any of these things put them in your pocket until you do.

VERY good!

Climb020 said:
3) Avoid smoking around the customer at all times. They may see you smoking but just don't approach them while doing it.

Nope. Not only don't approach them, don't smoke AT ALL while on their job unless you have asked FIRST.

Climb020 said:
Right times to smoke:
1) On way to job site.
2) During the walk through of the job site, after introducing yourself to the homeowner.
3) On your lunch brake or your 15 min. brake.
4) While dragging brush. Almost everyone on the job site drags brush either at one time or another. Smoke while walking back to the area of brush.

Nope. VERY wrong. VERY bad. See above. Don't smoke AT ALL unless you have permission.

Climb020 said:
Wrong times to smoke:

See above. Anytime, anywhere on a job, is the wrong time and wrong place unless you have FIRST asked permission. (BTW, you don't get the cigarette out, stick it in your mouth, and bring out your lighter before asking permission.)

Climb020 said:
The time and place, if any, should be talked about with the client.

That's it. :cheers:

BlueRidgeMark said:
Yes, and worse, there is the small matter of the SMOKE. Are you hearing me? It's not just about the BUTTS, it's about the SMOKE. For some people, it's jsut a matter of not liking it. For some people (like asthmatics), it's a serious health threat. Yes, I know you're outside. It's still a problem.

:

It is not a serious health threat for "some", it is for all. Ask Heather Crowe, who died recently from lung cancer though she never smoked a day in her life, which ended last month too soon.

Yes folks I smoked until 1979, and to be honest if you came to my house and wanted to smoke inside, I do own ashtrays. I would be a good host, and not force you onto the porch. Otherwise a low clash filthy habit that infringes greatly upon the rights of the majority who do not smoke.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2006/05/23/crowe-mon.html

It's pretty sad when a person can't make it through work hours without smoking. Seems to me this should be a matter of great embarrassment.

Cigs, sodas, dip, or even chewing gum even can be a bit annoying to others if done in an annoying, cumpulsive or addictive behavior.

I agree it does not look good working with one.

Growing up around smokers, mom and sister, then paying attention to others who smoke, I kinda see it as a security and weakness. I'm sure it calms the nerves, but it also signals you might me rattled. I could get mom and sis to light up on behavioral command. There are some people with wicked intense jobs that can't smoke, they get by. This is of course from a nonsmoker so...

I remember spacing (thinning) during fire season, my boss said to the whole crew in a loud voice "anyone caught smoking is down the f-------- road, anyone" I almost feel sorry for smokers now, they are, by definition, drug addicts, a cigarette hanging from thier mouths like some addicts have needles hanging from thier arms. You can quit 020, people have done it, I stopped using alcohol and other fun stuff for over 10 years now, one day at a time, best wishes.

any resposible smoker had a right to smoke..

maybe some of you think it's inapportiated to smoke any place , any time. but still think it wrong for anyone to judge individual that does smoke when nonsmoker walk in wrong time and wrong place. i do smoke and i had had respected most ppl that doesn't smoke and i intended to smoke where they are not present. In fact company no smoking policy is kinda ridulous becuz there are good worker that does smokes and are responible for there behavior habits and i don't think it was sign of security or weakness, just a addiction of one each of you have some addiction personality alike coffee, soda,chewing tabaccos and FOOD.
in years i been in tree service, there not a single one of customer ever complained about smoker worker does smoke whatever they had time for smoke breaks, except we left some water bottle or soda bottle on there property after it done, which they do not like to pick up our trash (oops) 0:X
Anyway instead of nonsmoking rule or policy, be kind and say hey i don't mind if you smoke but please refrained smoking if you can and if you do smoke.. go there . i'm sure it will make everyone happy and smoke responible also you may be lucky that smoker quit smoking sooner or later

Take care of each others and be safe
Treeman67

Climb020 - I admire your attempt at consideration for property owners. Some of your post brought back some memories.

Wrong times to smoke:
1) While operating a chainsaw. Two hands on the saw. If the butt is in your mouth the smoke will burn your eyes and mess up your vision. Need to see what you are cutting.

I can still see my dad with a smoke in his mouth running a saw while coughing and squinting. After about 50 years of smoking 2-3 packs a day, he quit. He actually got to the point where he could not stand to go to meetings where people smoked. He apologized to me, my sister, and four brothers for making us grow up with it. I will never forget the sound of him coughing at night. A shame to have to remember that part of him. He was not only a powerful man, he engineered some amazing tree removal jobs. A shame we didn't think to take pictures back then. By the way, at 70 they took the top of his left lung out. Hated to see him suffer through that.

First time I've seen a smoker admit it burns their eyes - is that why they hold the cigarettes away from them when not inhaling? Second hand smoke is a misnomer. Non-smokers get it first hand from the burning end without the benefit(?) of the filter. Most of the cigarette just goes up in smoke without being inhaled - watch a smoker closely sometime.

Climb020, I hope one day you can muster the willpower to quit. You sound like a good person and the world needs more of them.

trivia........Dean Martin.....

how many of you remember Dean Martin??
always drunk on his show....NOPE!!!
drunk was his gig and everyone bought it. in his glass he would have ginger-ale or apple juice....now his red-glassy eyes; before coming out on stage, he would light up 5-6 cigarettes, put them in an ashtray, and lean over and put his face in the ashtray while holding his eyes wide open and let the smoke burn up his eyes to get that convincing red-glassy-eyed drunk appearance.

a lil off track of the thread, but some trivia

and yes.....i would love to quit smoking myself, but i hate it when non-smokers piss and moan. taxes that smokers pay, pay alot of funds that are also benefitted by non-smokers....with out smokers, our already high taxes would be much higher.
the U. S. of A. originally built itself up with tobacco products in the 1700's not to mention liquor....both are now considered evils.

i am a nurse....i smoke before my shift and make sure i do not smell of smoke before beginning...i save a full cup of coffee to kill my breath before going in and do not smoke till my shift is over for the day. i do not smoke in my house or anyone else's house...i always go outside and walk out to the street when at someone else's home..i do respect other people's rights.

frashdog said:
isn't an addiction a weakness?
NOPE!! addictions are physiological and a "weakness" is mental.
smokers bodies are addicted to the chemicals and chemical by-products of cigarettes. many who successfully quit smoking do so by using other chemicals to wean down the chemicals over time that the body can handle

a good example is a serious alcoholic....going "cold turkey" can kill some people cause their bodies cannot handle the drastic physiological and metabolic change......the people need "drugs" (to put it lightly) to accomodate the bodies needs to wean the transition.

as with both alcoholics and smokers, there is also the "mental weakness" that may or may not go away with time...though the "addicton" or "breaking the addiction" is fought by the physiological body.

Vman said:
i am a nurse....i smoke before my shift and make sure i do not smell of smoke before beginning...

No you don't. Not unless you shower (including shampooing your hair) and put on freshly laundered clothes AFTER your last smoke. (I mean, FRESHLY laundered. If those clothes went from the laundry and into your closet before you put them on, they WILL smell of cigarette.)

If you didn't do ALL of this you still reek of the foul smell of cigarette, even if YOU can't smell it.

And you inflict that on sick people!

And YOU are one of the more considerate smokers. Most just light up whenever, wherever.

BlueRidgeMark said:
No you don't. Not unless you shower (including shampooing your hair) and put on freshly laundered clothes AFTER your last smoke. (I mean, FRESHLY laundered. If those clothes went from the laundry and into your closet before you put them on, they WILL smell of cigarette.)

If you didn't do ALL of this you still reek of the foul smell of cigarette, even if YOU can't smell it.

And you inflict that on sick people!

And YOU are one of the more considerate smokers. Most just light up whenever, wherever.
Take it easy Mark, you old drug sniffing dog you. I don't smoke, but think about this. What if after work I smell of saw gas and oil, the bush fragrance. Then I walk into a store or restaurant before I drive home to have a shower, cause I'm tired or whatever, "Ewww, you smell like gas or something, ewww" Gas fumes are carcinogenic I believe, big deal. What if you forget your speedstick (on the days you actually physically work), not smoking is good enough, stop the jihad.

NOPE!! addictions are physiological and a "weakness" is mental.
WRONG!!! well kinda , yes it can be physiological it also can be psychological.
In all cases, the term addiction describes a chronic pattern of behavior that continues despite the direct or indirect adverse consequences that result from engaging in the behavior. It is quite common for an addict to express the desire to stop the behavior, but find himself or herself unable to cease.
Check it out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Addiction

BlueRidgeMark......as i stated in my earlier post i do not smoke in my home, i should have also mentioned i do not smoke in my vehicles (though i did not feel the need to do so at that time) cause i choose not to expose my daughter to the repercussions of "2nd hand smoke"......yes even if u do not smoke in a vehicle while someone is in there, the chemical by-products are still there if u do smoke in the vehicle and they can be picked up merely by contact.....this goes for anything, not just vehicles (Ha!! there is more fuel for non-smokers!!)......so as i do it is best for a smoker to wash their hands after a smoke if u smoke outside your house when u go back in your home. i should have also mentioned from my morning shower, i put my scubs on, enjoy my last cup of coffee on my way to work which is 10 mins away....and do not smoke on my way there. it is the best i can do, i hope it is satisfactory to you.

frashdog.....my info comes from my medical books, experiences, and teachings, not an internet site (which after reading it i do not see where i am wrong with the many mentions of politically correct controversy to correct use of terms, in my job we do not use the term "addiction" to associate with weaknesses, habitual forming tendencies, and psychological disorders) which boldly hails the disclaimer of:

"This article or section does not cite its references or sources.
You can help Wikipedia by introducing appropriate citations.Some of the information in this article or section has not been verified and might not be reliable. It should be checked for inaccuracies and modified as needed, citing sources."

....i would also like to add the fact of how many people diagnose themselves from reading the internet, than attempt to treat themselves via internet Rx medication sites that anyone can order prescription drugs from, than wind up in the ER, Hospital, Urgent Care Centers, or 6 ft. under.
in any event i shall stick with the training and education i recieved. i am done with this thread and will leave it by saying if u get ill, go to your Doc, not the Net.....i have to deal everyday with patients that "know it all" and wind up at the facility i work for, so i have no need to deal with it here.
enough said

Last edited:
i am a nurse....i smoke before my shift and make sure i do not smell of smoke before beginning...i save a full cup of coffee to kill my breath before going in and do not smoke till my shift is over for the day. i do not smoke in my house or anyone else's house...i always go outside and walk out to the street when at someone else's home..i do respect other people's rights.[/QUOTE said:
I would have thought being a health care professional and smoking would be incompatible these days. Do you not see the results of long term smoking on your job?? (perhaps not depending upon your expertice). Not only in health care, but in other professions, smoking is seen as a negative trait in prospective employees-they are less healthy, are sick more often, and output is compromised because they lose up to 15 minutes of every hour filling their lungs with filth. I have had job interviews where I was asked if I smoked!!!! And I am sure screening drug tests so common these days also indicate the presence of nicotene in the blood. I agree with Mark, your clothing, hair, skin smell of smoke regardless of where you last inhaled. I do not hate smokers, they are to be pitied almost. As for taxes, the revenue generated by cigarette excise taxes is completely eaten away by increased medical expenses looking after all those cancer, cardiac, stroke and lung patients whose condition is a direct result of their addiction.

Last edited:
I smoke. Call it an addiction, a habit, whatever. One thing it is not is a weakness. I still run and work out and climb like a maniac.

I am very discreet, a ''considerate smoker'' if you will. I don't smoke at work but if I'm having a few beers on my own time I smoke. Peolpe who have known me for years are surprised to learn that I smoke because I keep it to myself.

What I don't get is all you anti-smoking nazis making such a big deal of it. If you don't smoke fine, if someone elses smoking bothers you tell them, or ask them to stop. End-of-story.

Vman said:
BlueRidgeMark......as i stated in my earlier post i do not smoke in my home, i should have also mentioned i do not smoke in my vehicles ... i should have also mentioned from my morning shower, i put my scubs on, enjoy my last cup of coffee on my way to work which is 10 mins away....and do not smoke on my way there. it is the best i can do, i hope it is satisfactory to you.

You are an unusually aware and considerate smoker! :cheers:

Vman said:
frashdog.....my info comes from my medical books, experiences, and teachings, not an internet site (which after reading it i do not see where i am wrong with the many mentions of politically correct controversy to correct use of terms, in my job we do not use the term "addiction" to associate with weaknesses, habitual forming tendencies, and psychological disorders) which boldly hails the disclaimer of:

"This article or section does not cite its references or sources.
You can help Wikipedia by introducing appropriate citations.Some of the information in this article or section has not been verified and might not be reliable. It should be checked for inaccuracies and modified as needed, citing sources."

Wikipedia is trash. Anybody can get on there and post anything they want with little or no expertise. Many subjects are 'controlled' by a few (or one) rabid power hungry self-appointed 'experts' who have an agenda of one sort or another. Do some editing to correct errors and you'll come back and find your edits GONE. The entire philosopy behind it is socialistic hippie crap.

One of the founders left when he saw what it was becoming. He realized that the whole idea was flawed and could not be fixed. (IOW, he grew up.) He attempted to persuade his co-founder of this with reasoned and logical arguments supported by examples from the site. The response (from the guy who now runs it)?

"You just don't get it." :rolleyes:

Jumper said:
I would have thought being a health care professional and smoking would be incompatible these days.
After spending time in and around hospitals due to being injured or visiting others there I am no longer suprised to see health care workers smoking. Or the large percentage of them who are large, morbidly obese in some cases. I suppose seeing death on a daily basis has little effect. Mark, you have pretty strong opinions on Wikipedia, look up arborist on it, Arboristsite is a link there, can't speak to other entries but the one about arborist is pretty tame.

Latest posts

Back