Smoking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
020, I can handle what you say, enough of the pc bs from you puritans, the guy is ok. Marijauna use is very common here, more people smoke pot than cigarettes, cops just take it away, it ain't no big deal here. So, because pot smells a lot better than cigarettes and is much less carcinogenic, is it ok to smoke pot around people? (Mark, don't say you'd call the cops cause they would laugh at you) I am coming from a harm perspective, I don't drink or use illegal drugs but I figure wtf, as long as its green who cares, the white stuff is where I draw the line.

TreeCo said:
I don't believe a lot of smokers know just how bad second hand smoke smells.

No, they don't. But they accuse US of not being willing to see the other side of it.

I'd rather smell skunk, myself. Seriously.

clearance said:
. So, because pot smells a lot better than cigarettes and is much less carcinogenic, is it ok to smoke pot around people?

It's not okay to smoke ANYTHING around other people unless:

1. You can keep it entirely to yourself, OR,
  2. You have permission.

Mark I can only assume by not responding directly to my post that the cat must have got your tongue. If you don't pollute the air in anyway you are liar. Just plan and simple I have the choice to smoke as well as you have the choice to drive, cut your grass or use anything that runs on fuel. So according to you you are no better than myself.

Uh, two wrongs don't make a right, Climb020.
To quote that legend of the silver screen, Yuel Brenner,
"Just don't smoke".

frashdog said:
Cigs, sodas, dip, or even chewing gum even can be a bit annoying to others if done in an annoying, cumpulsive or addictive behavior.

I agree it does not look good working with one.

Growing up around smokers, mom and sister, then paying attention to others who smoke, I kinda see it as a security and weakness. I'm sure it calms the nerves, but it also signals you might me rattled. I could get mom and sis to light up on behavioral command. There are some people with wicked intense jobs that can't smoke, they get by. This is of course from a nonsmoker so...

I hear ya. Ive seen people who have just the opposite. They need something to get them all fired up with adrenalin. Addiction comes in many forms. Everyone is addicted to something, maybe even this internet site...tv...????...buying crap...food...attention...sugar...death...road kill..patchouli oil..

It's changed times these days.

We are aware of the dangers.

It was only within the last what, 10 years perhaps that the whistleblowers coughed up the truth.

Wasn't Russel Crowe in a true based movie called The Insider where he was the cheif chemical scientist hired by a tobacco company to work for them. Then when he realised what his job was and what they were doing he fessed up.

At the same time the Chiefs of the tobacco companies were denying the addictive nature and hazards.

His job was to introduce new chemicals to the tobacco which would aid in the delivery and expedience in the nicotine take up. The cigarette was the delivery sytem for the drug.

I've also used that line "smoke in your own time not mine"

I would like someone to explain where it is said, written, or laid down as law that I can't smoke. If your an inconsiderate person, than your an inconsiderate person. To say that of smokers is a false statement. Hell, two people have stated here that they keep the habit two themselves. Add me to that list. If it bothers you than move on.

nitwit dolt said:
I would like someone to explain where it is said, written, or laid down as law that I can't smoke. If your an inconsiderate person, than your an inconsiderate person. To say that of smokers is a false statement. Hell, two people have stated here that they keep the habit two themselves. Add me to that list. If it bothers you than move on.

Many places have these laws now. I disagree with them when it involves a private business but wholeheartedly support them for truly public places like airports, airplanes, hospitals, etc.

I've known some very considerate people who smoke and some very inconsiderate people who smoke. Sounds like some of the considerate smokers think all smokers are considerate and some of the nonsmokers think all smokers are inconsiderate. Both statements are incorrect, of course. There are some very considerate smokers on this thread and I greatly appreciate your thoughtfulness. Maybe you all can get the message to inconsiderate smokers that it is not alright to toss lit cigarettes out your car window or dump full ashtrays at the interstate off-ramps or smoke in crowded places.

As for other types of air pollution (cars, saws, etc), I would agree with the comparison if the machine was placed next someone and run. Maybe run a hose from the exhaust in next to my table at restaurant? Would anyone get upset if I opened a pig farm 10 feet from their house? How about spraying my favorite cologne all over someone? I like beer and last I heard, urine is generally sterile. - hmmmm? No, I'm too considerate to even think that.

OTG BOSTON said:
I smoke. Call it an addiction, a habit, whatever. One thing it is not is a weakness. I still run and work out and climb like a maniac.

I am very discreet, a ''considerate smoker'' if you will. I don't smoke at work but if I'm having a few beers on my own time I smoke. Peolpe who have known me for years are surprised to learn that I smoke because I keep it to myself.

What I don't get is all you anti-smoking nazis making such a big deal of it. If you don't smoke fine, if someone elses smoking bothers you tell them, or ask them to stop. End-of-story.

i'm glad i not alone,:cheers:

Treeman67

smoker vs. nonsmoker

hey... don't judge other person unless you like other poeple judge you even if you nonsmoker. everyone has their own addiction. this topic get old and stupid that everyone has to get all heat up with it, if your company who you want hire smoker or nonsmoker then it is your business. what i hire my emplyee that my business. Professional is business,it not apply to judges one another business even though we all are competitor ,we all should get along each other and SHOW SOME RESPECT... let laid off this stupid topic

Thank you
Treeman67

Climb020 said:
I have noticed while reading many of the threads on many of sites that smokers are getting it stuck to them. I have noticed some tree companies have a no smoking policy while on the customers property. I would hate, as a smoker for the no smoking rule to be implemented in even more companies.
Yes I understand that it is usually the smokers fault in the first place that the rules are implemented. It makes the job site unsightly to the customer seeing cigarette butts all over their lawn. Just asking the smokers to smoke responsibly and help stop the infringement of smokers rights.
And I also understand that time may be wasted during the job due to smoking and this could be stopped as well if we just think for a second.

Here are some general rules I have came up with:
1) Don't take cigarette brakes. We work out side, find the right time to smoke while working.
2) Put the cigarette butts either in with the wood chips if they are going to a recycling center, or in the garbage, or an ashtray. If you cannot find any of these things put them in your pocket until you do.
3) Avoid smoking around the customer at all times. They may see you smoking but just don't approach them while doing it.

Right times to smoke:
1) On way to job site.
2) During the walk through of the job site, after introducing yourself to the homeowner.
3) On your lunch brake or your 15 min. brake.
4) While dragging brush. Almost everyone on the job site drags brush either at one time or another. Smoke while walking back to the area of brush.

Wrong times to smoke:
:bang: 1) While operating a chainsaw. Two hands on the saw. If the butt is in your mouth the smoke will burn your eyes and mess up your vision. Need to see what you are cutting.
2) While climbing unless while in the tree for long periods of time (3 hours plus) and a normal break would be taken for about 5 minutes to collect yourself and have a drink.
:bang: 3) When fueling anything, including chainsaws.
3) When there are rules do to religious beliefs and such that do not allow smoking. The time and place, if any, should be talked about with the client.
seems extreme who would police the vehicle rule. anyway years back a tree co trying to follow the corporate style like this office policy on smoking, was trying to recruit with a no facial hair rule, i figured if they had that policy,the next problem was how to say no-thankyou

Treeman67 said:
hey... don't judge other person unless you like other poeple judge you even if you nonsmoker. everyone has their own addiction. this topic get old and stupid that everyone has to get all heat up with it, if your company who you want hire smoker or nonsmoker then it is your business. what i hire my emplyee that my business. Professional is business,it not apply to judges one another business even though we all are competitor ,we all should get along each other and SHOW SOME RESPECT... let laid off this stupid topic

Thank you
Treeman67
Huh? We are talking about tobaco smoke, right? :laugh:

As I have said since I was fourteen or so, "If you smoke, you're stupid. Case closed!" OK, I know smokers will attack me for being simplistic, uncaring, etc., but it honestly is that simple. Smoking kills! My father died last year of lung cancer. Had he never smoked his three packs a day for forty-seven years, he would still be alive, I'm positive. He quit twenty-five years ago, but it still killed him, starting with emphysema. Granted he lived a long life, making it to eighty-five, but he would have lived to be a hundred or more without the cigs, as we have longevity in our family's genes, and my old man was super active right up until he hit eighty-three.

Even when I'm fifty feet up a tree, I can smell the cigs of the groundies and it bothers the hell out of me. I am seriously considering banning smoking on my gigs.

Your call as an employer. I often see ads for non smoking employees, the latest this morning for a warehouse manager for a pharmaceutical company. If you are trying to cultivate an upscale image and client base for any company, having employees with cigarettes stuck into their face does not enhance your efforts. The demographics of smokers in this country indicate most are less educated and lower on the wage scale. And you are right about smokers dying off....all my relatives who were heavy smokers to the end are DEAD, oldest lived to just 60, which is a pretty young age to die these days.

I liked these words of wisdom earlier regarding when smoking is permissable. And if you can smell it in a tree, and find it offensive, and did not give permission to the employee to smoke on the job, your call.

"You can keep it entirely to yourself, OR,
You have permission"

Last time i checked USA was still a FREE COUNTRY.
If I still smoked I'd wind up in jail , cause i'd smoke where ever the hell i wanted.

That said ,I would try not to force anyone to breath my second hand smoke. I know how irritating it is, my wife still smokes,and it does bother me.
But this is a free country , sure you should take others into consideration , but this is a free country. I do not want to live in a place where you can't decide for yourself what you will do to your own body.

To me what's worse than the smoke is all the burns everywhere. Smokers always leave behind a trail of burn marks. But whats worse than the burns, is the anti smoking NAZIS

KEEP AMERICA FREE

Doesn't get it.

"You can keep it entirely to yourself, OR,
You have permission"

Blowing smoke on someone else violates rule one, and smoking in anywhere but your own home, property, the street or private car (not the truck you use for business) as well.

Just about anywhere else, without permission, and that includes laws that prohibit smoking in public places, violates #2.

I am not an anti smoking Nazi, as I said earlier, wanna smoke in my house for short visits OK by me. But the non smoking majority have the right not to be subject to second hand smoke, cigarette butts etc everywhere but the places mentioned above.

woodchux said:
Last time i checked USA was still a FREE COUNTRY.
If I still smoked I'd wind up in jail , cause i'd smoke where ever the hell i wanted.

KEEP AMERICA FREE

KEEP AMERICA FREE OF SECOND HAND SMOKE!

Hospitals? Old folks homes? Funeral parlours where the deceased died of lung cancer? In front of your children? Woman while pregnant? Asthmatics? Drug Stores? Supermarkets? Restaurants? Workplaces? Public vehicles? In front of someone hooked up on oxygen after a major coronary? In front of your wife when she is trying to quit smoking? Come on I do not think you are that ignorant-obviously you decided that smoking was hazardous to your health.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back