Smoking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marky Mark said:
Smoke, drink, shoot dope whatever you want to do it's a free world here start acting like it is.

Really??? So it is OK to enjoy kiddie P*O*R*N (yes this word is on the nono list) Abuse your wife? Kick the sh*t out of your dog? Beat your children? Knowingly put your employees or fellow workers in dangerous situations? Rape people?

You hate booze. OK fine, but when someone drinks it to excess they puke and are ill the next day/week/month whatever. The responsible person sitting at the bar/party whatever was not subject to being forced to breath in carcinogens. Filth. You might as well breath in vacumn cleaner dust-pet dander, dust, rat poop, insect remains.

Give me a break. The vast majority of people in Canada and the USA have finally figured out second smoke is harmful, and unacceptable, and have caused governments to do something about it. Smoke em if ya got em...but only in your home, on your property, in your private vehicle or outside in the street or on public land. Otherwise the answer is ask for permission, or "NO" in every other situation I can think of.

Last edited:
OK I see that now we are just running around in circles and the thread is getting a bit worn from it.

Let us take a look now from another stand point.

Who here drink? Who then drinks then drives? And YES 1 beer count trust I know I was in an accident where the person had 1 drink. Now lets see.

Someone smokes and lets say they will kill 5 people in there whole life due to smoking related illnesses. This is hypothetical so just stick with me on this.
Nows the same guy gets in his vehicle drunk and kills 5 people including himself your wife and 3 kids.

So know what looks so bad? Don't give me crap about what smoking does to you or or kids or anyone if you have ever drank and then drove. I know most people do because if you go to the bar you need to get home somehow and most poeple drive there and drive home.

There are far worse things then cig. smoke do be worried about and alcohol is one of them. I do drink every now and then. The reason this is because I don't go out and drink because I KNOW I HAVE TO DRIVE HOME AT THE END OF THE NIGHT. This is why is the original post I put "smoke responsibly" hoping someone might pick up on the fact that i took it from the "drink responsibly" ads we see everyday.

I don't intend to sideline the thread now with drinking just comparing smoking to drink because I think far more people drink and it would make people better understand the more harmful things that can result.

Okay, gonna have a stab at this and try to not offend anyone...
Jumper said:
Unfortunately in modern society such regulation is necessary when the actions of a few(up here about 1 in 5 smoke) negatively impact on the rights of many.
The technical term for that is a perverse incentive.
In our society, we have decided (one way or another: the law, indoctrination by the big corps., taught by our parents, etc.) that certain actions/things aren't good (eg: pr0n, robbing banks, rape, file-sharing, etc.) for our society as a whole to be partaking in, so we put measures in place. Now on the face, it seems like that infringes on John Doe's right to do X, but what is really happening is we're protecting everybody else's right to not be affected by those things.
In the case of smoking, the society is slowly coming around to realize that smoking really is bad for your health. Also, as some of you have mentioned, if it's private property, they have every right to do/prohibit whatever they want, it's their property (provided it isn't prohibited by any higher power). In the case of public places, the no smoking laws are to protect the common citizen that uses those places. In a perfect society, we would all be "considerate smokers" IMHO, but our society is far from perfect.. :(
Just my $.02, bash away.

Taylor

Let's be real did I say Kiddy ???? No but being that we lose more and more rights to others is BS, You all drive, you pollute the air more than smokers do, stop driving. Me I don't smoke anymore but I sure as hell don't tell anyone what to do. If you don't like smoke in a bar don't go. Better yet get that cell phone away from your brain. The list could keep going on an on. If most people only cared about what they did you would be having this post.

Look at that big pine RBTREE took down where the guy got a court order. Was that fair to the owner of the tree that was blocking the dope view. NO he knew that the tree was there before he bought the house. The guy with more money won in that game. All the tree apes should stopcutting trees since it gives me the fresh air I breath. Next thing will be workers are complaining about 2 cycle saws it can cause cancer you know.

Where's MB when you need him???

Last edited:
Good point Mark, it is a very fine line between protecting the rights of the innocent (using that term loosely) and depriving the citezenry of their rights.

A sign in one of my favorite "watering holes"....

"If you're smoking we'll assume you are on fire and take the appropriate action."

:laugh:

If you want to kill yourself with tobacco then chew it. You might disgust a few people but unless you're a lousy spitter you won't damage their health or their property.

You guys were pretty right on comparing second hand smoke to farts.
Both about equally stinky and offensive.
But to me i would rather that you blow smoke on me than fart.
Should we make farting in public illegal?
Come on what next?
Ya'll have went way overboard comparing 2nd hand smoke to
child ****, bank robbery, wife beatin, drunk driving , dog beating, rape.
PLEASE... ya'll need a reality check !
It' just a little smoke, deal with it.

I just brought up the drunk driven to show them how silly they all sound.
It amazes me the way some people think.

Climb020 said:
I just brought up the drunk driven to show them how silly they all sound.
It amazes me the way some people think.
I have never driven after drinking, and I'm equally as hard on those who do as I am on smoking in public. Marky, your argument is lost so far in fallacy land that I can't even take it seriously enough to compose a response.

I have tried to stay out of this because I am an uncouth sob who smokes. I have been smoking for 30 odd years nasty habit. But also hard as hell to quit.

I will smoke any damn place I feel like it as long as it is legal to smoke there and cigs are legal. You frigging whiners are really starting to piss me off with your sniffling bull????.

Wonder how many of you whiners drive diesel trucks or run diesel chippers or breath 2 stroke fumes. All cause cancer.

How many of you have cell phone attached to your ear they also cuase cancer.

Hell everything causes cancer.

Your freaking whining is giving me cancer.

Live free or die.

So all you whiners can kiss my ass.

Husky372 said:
I have tried to stay out of this because I am an uncouth sob who smokes. I have been smoking for 30 odd years nasty habit. But also hard as hell to quit.

I will smoke any damn place I feel like it as long as it is legal to smoke there and cigs are legal. You frigging whiners are really starting to piss me off with your sniffling bull????.

Wonder how many of you whiners drive diesel trucks or run diesel chippers or breath 2 stroke fumes. All cause cancer.
How many point the exhaust pipes 3 feet from people's noses and rev the engines?
Husky372 said:
How many of you have cell phone attached to your ear they also cuase cancer.
How many shove their phones against the ears of strangers?

Husky372 said:
Hell everything causes cancer.
Bull hockey.
Husky372 said:
Your freaking whining is giving me cancer.

Live free or die.

So all you whiners can kiss my ass.
Because you're a weakling with no self control?

Weakling you have no clue who or what I am. But I sure as hell aint no weakling. Just becuase you dont put the muffler in someones face dont meen squat you are still polluting someones air right Then of course your phone is giving you cancer but your worried about my cig smoke. Notice you didn't mention the diesel truck that is sitting at stop light next to some lady and her kid and the fumes are going right in her window. Or that chipper that is being worked in someones yard but the fumes are going in neighbors house. They never invited you or your stinky equipment there but they still have to smell. So get real.

Husky372 said:
Weakling you have no clue who or what I am. But I sure as hell aint no weakling. Just becuase you dont put the muffler in someones face dont meen squat you are still polluting someones air right Then of course your phone is giving you cancer but your worried about my cig smoke. Notice you didn't mention the diesel truck that is sitting at stop light next to some lady and her kid and the fumes are going right in her window. Or that chipper that is being worked in someones yard but the fumes are going in neighbors house. They never invited you or your stinky equipment there but they still have to smell. So get real.
Can you please explain to me how smoking compares to things that are essential for our society to function?

spacemule said:
So, are you saying that people benefit from smoking as much as they benefit from electricity?
As long as you get something out of something it is ok. Well I get something out of smoking. I get cancer an the privalage to give it to you.

Husky372 said:
As long as you get something out of something it is ok. Well I get something out of smoking. I get cancer an the privalage to give it to you.
This isn't about me getting something. It's about every person in our society getting something, not just one in five while taking away from everyone else. And, btw, no one is wanting to ban smoking, just keep it to your damned self. Is the legitimacy of this simple idea so hard to comprehend?

I think that if the #s were crunched and we could identify how much cancer is attributed to power lines. The family members of the Dead and dieing Would seem to have a valid point to Ban Electricity (using Anti-smoking NAZI reasoning) How far you gonna go to protect the 'innocent'?

Yup it sure is when dont care if anyone smokes in there own home or car but everywhere else it isn't. Then your infringing on my right to do something perfectly legal. If you or anyone else dont like the smell move up wind.

If I am at someones place and they dont want me to smoke fine I will go outside. I dont leave my butts on there ground. And I respect your right as prop owner to your ideals. But I will be damned if I will stop smoking in free air space so to speak.

Latest posts

Back