Snellerized saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Locust Cutter

Sawing for Sanity
Reaction score
I got to play with some of Brad's modified Stihls via a friend who lives close. Now having played with Snellerized MS261(s), a MS241c, MS660, and an MS880 via a different friend, I am impressed. I have saws by Randy (which are NOT for sale) and one of Stumpy's, but the saws I ran today were NOT lacking torque or HP.

No real purpose of this thread other than to recognize that there are many ways to port a saw and I am just as impressed by Brad's handiwork as Randy, Chad and Terry's.

I have a ported ms261 Snellerized and its been dead reliable in tree service for two years. Just checked the comp as its a single ring and it was a tad over 180psi. I was going to put new cabers in it but it is very healthy as it sits, piston is clean with no visible blow by. The only issue is the sticker has near worn off completely.:guitar:

I have a ported ms261 Snellerized and its been dead reliable in tree service for two years. Just checked the comp as its a single ring and it was a tad over 180psi. I was going to put new cabers in it but it is very healthy as it sits, piston is clean with no visible blow by. The only issue is the sticker has near worn off completely.:guitar:
Glad to hear a good report of a heavily used saw.

Removing the bottom ring has virtually no affect on compression and frees up a significant amount of parasitic loss due to friction. I have a lot of saws out there like this, even in commercial use, and haven't had a single issue. It makes some people a little nervous, but it works.

Hey, Brad...
just an fyi for ya...

my 661 got about 2 full days of cutting up a bunch of big Euch...some over 4' diameter along with a huge Ash tree. Home owner had hired a tree service to just get the trees on the ground so was left with a huge pile of brush and logs, :p
anyway...by the 2nd day the saw really started to seem broken in, finally. It is quite the screemer with short or long bars. One climber there got to try it out and had a ****-eating grin the whole time.
I used 24, 36, 32 and then the 28" bars just for fun and found I now prefer the 28 with comp chiz chain and a 7t sprocket rather than the 24" with 8t. This was some of the hardest wood I've ever cut and chisel chain worked much, much better than semi at all lengths...weird.

The tree guys had never seen built saws at work, LOL, they were amazed.

thanks again!

Hey, Brad...
just an fyi for ya...

my 661 got about 2 full days of cutting up a bunch of big Euch...some over 4' diameter along with a huge Ash tree. Home owner had hired a tree service to just get the trees on the ground so was left with a huge pile of brush and logs, :p
anyway...by the 2nd day the saw really started to seem broken in, finally. It is quite the screemer with short or long bars. One climber there got to try it out and had a ****-eating grin the whole time.
I used 24, 36, 32 and then the 28" bars just for fun and found I now prefer the 28 with comp chiz chain and a 7t sprocket rather than the 24" with 8t. This was some of the hardest wood I've ever cut and chisel chain worked much, much better than semi at all lengths...weird.

The tree guys had never seen built saws at work, LOL, they were amazed.

thanks again!
I LOVE getting reports like that. Reports of a commercially used saw really tell the tale. Thanks for the good word!

And any claims of dishonesty or leaving anyone high and dry is a bunch of crap. I am currently in a bit of a situation with him now and he is doing everything he can to help me out when he does not really have to. He is a man of his word and stands behind his work period.
Thanks Rory. I'm just trying to make it work best for both of us.

I got to play with some of Brad's modified Stihls via a friend who lives close. Now having played with Snellerized MS261(s), a MS241c, MS660, and an MS880 via a different friend, I am impressed. I have saws by Randy (which are NOT for sale) and one of Stumpy's, but the saws I ran today were NOT lacking torque or HP.

No real purpose of this thread other than to recognize that there are many ways to port a saw and I am just as impressed by Brad's handiwork as Randy, Chad and Terry's.

You can try my 460 by Brad at the next GTG. It is no joke,,,,,one of my favorites.

I LOVE getting reports like that. Reports of a commercially used saw really tell the tale. Thanks for the good word!
The sound this thing makes is nothing like a stock saw (the other guys had several different Stihls) and the home owner who had run dirt bikes when young wondered what mix I was using on this obviously 'hot-rodded' saw :p

Latest posts

Back