From 0 ported saws to 2 in 2 days...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Storm56

NOT blinded by brand...
Reaction score
Never owned or ran a ported saw, muff mods were as far as I went. Always wondered, well now the wondering is over. Made a deal with Nate, Fordf150 on the Masterminded Dolmar 6100 which showed up on Wednesday, was also working with Chad, chadiham, the guy from PA with the chainsaw dyno on a Masterminded 261. Ended up meeting him on Thursday after trying to get together for about 2 weeks. Was really only looking for one, but made such good deals on both that I decided to bite the bullet and purchase both. Found Chad's saw on craigslist of all places...

Well had a chance to try them out this morning on a 20 inch white oak. WOW! Both are very impressive. Obviously the 6100 was noticeably stronger as expected, both running 20 inch bars as that is how they came. I am now a believer!

Randy - You build one hellova a saw!!!

IMG_20151031_100251.jpg

I just met Chad in the process of buying this saw but he indicated he has been busy working. He works his day job as a mechanic at a farm store, said this was a busy time of the year for them.

Wanted to add a separate post regarding Nate, Fordf150. He was a complete professional to deal with. He was honest and up front in every aspect regarding this saw. I am sometimes hesitant buying used items over the net when I cannot actually see and handle/run them, but will absolutely deal with Nate again in the future!

While I am sure I will enjoy the increased performance these new saws provide, doubt I will throw my stock/muff modded saws away! I just enjoy cutting wood no matter which of my current saws are in my hands, though obviously some are more fun to run than others.

While I am sure I will enjoy the increased performance these new saws provide, doubt I will throw my stock/muff modded saws away! I just enjoy cutting wood no matter which of my current saws are in my hands, though obviously some are more fun to run than others.

Hell no you don't throw them away..... you start porting them. Id start with the cs 530, 346xp, 359, and Stihl 360. Get a 79cc kit on one of them 6401s. Nate sells the kit. Once you run a ported 346 or 530, you'll sell either the ported 261 or stock 261c, then you move on to a 461.

You have a lot to consider.:yes: For me the hardest part was always picking which saw first from my current group. Once I got all them done, I just started having them done as I bought them. Cant tell you how many new saws I had shipped directly to Randy up thru 2014.

Happy porting!

I have wrestled with spending the $250-$300 it costs to port a saw and thus far have chosen to use those funds to purchase additional saws. Buying these 2 slightly used seemed like a more cost effective way to get into some ported saws. After making some chips with these 2, I may have to rethink my former position...:cheers:

Chad did my 066 last year. He admitted he really needed/wanted more time to be able to consider doing more saws. He made a ton of dyno runs on it as well while he had it, trying different things. Turned out awesome, pulls a 36", .063, .404 at 8500' NO problem! Now I feel like there is nothing around me worthy of pulling the cord on it for....

Duane

Back