What Husky to port?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathan gravitt

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
New member here. I am considering having a saw ported. I have a 390xp that I have no complaints about. I am just wondering if I can port a smaller saw and still get the same power as the 390 XP? My guess is no. There is a big jump from a 372xp oe and a 390xp. I generally only run the bigger saw 15 to 20 hours per month with a 24 inch to 28 inch bar. The 390 does everything I needed to do I was just seeing if I could get a lighter package. I have previously had a 372XP oe, but when compared to the 390XP, I felt the 390 was better for me. I’ve narrowed it down to a 346xp for my smaller saw but am still trying to dial in what I am really looking for for my 2nd saw as I feel I only really need 2 saws. Any help is appreciated. Only interested in Husky saws

It might have been the wrong topic area to post this - the chainsaw section probably would have generated some responses.

You’d definitely get closer to the stock 390 power, but I do think the 372 with a lightweight bar would be more maneuverable and handle better.

If you are just starting the porting game, start with a 372 X-torq ( 2010 to 2017) era as they have transfer caps. Makes getting into the upper transfers easy. AND they respond well to the conventional techniques. Once the skills are developed then maybe mess with a 390. And actually a 385 has almost perfect numbers so only opening up and getting compression right makes for good sold gains

Back