Snowblowers what kind would you buy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saginaw22

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I know that this doesnt have anything to do with wood heat or firewood,
but it does relate to the cold.

So what kind of snowblowers do you guys like?

Toro
Ariens
Simplicity
John Deere
Cub Cadet
Snapper
Craftsman

I am looking for a new model with at least 8-12hp with a 28" cut

mine old snowblower is an old 826 Toro its a hand me down and it starts great
but its starting to have some issues with the drive train , also the handle on the left hand side is broken and the part has been dist. cont. but i know a master welder that should be able to fix it.

I just bought new auger and traction belts......and it blows the snow great but the drive train needs some work.

would you drop anymore money it to and old tank that still runs but its days
could be numbered?

thanks everyone.

I have had an Ariens 9526 Pro a little less than a year. Last winter was mostly a bust so it only saw a couple of storms but I have no complaints so far.

The other morning it chucked a newspaper about 20 feet. WHOOPS!

depends how much more money to stick in it. the brands you listed are ok, except the craftsman. reason being is parts are high, and they only ship thru their carrier--and thats a rip plus. been there

MTD. good blower for the money.

besides, MTD makes almost all of them behind the scenes. but, as for engines.....tecumceh suck. i'd go with a briggs and stratton only.

I had an Ariens 10-28 before I bought my tractor. It would throw snow close to 50 feet in one direction (chute in line with the impeller) and about 35 feet in the other. Heated hand grips and electric start. Paid about $1300. Easily moveable and quick when doing the driveway. Anything too big will be a chore to move around.

No problems with the Tecumseh engines on any blower I've used, and I used to make my living clearing snow with blowers. Change the oil and you'll be fine with B&S, Tecumseh, or Honda.

In terms of brands, Ariens, Simplicity/Snapper (they appear to be the same unit), Toro, and Honda seem to have the best machines in terms of build quality and durability according the the folks on plowsite and elsewhere. Toro probably has the best dealer network, at least in the places I've been. Rumors of JD's quality going downhill persist, though I see lots of newer JD 2-stage machines in service and working fine. If long-term durability is your primary concern, the top-of-the-line Ariens have cast iron auger/impeller gear cases, too.

For my money, I'd probably go with Ariens or Simplicity for a large-frame model, and the Toro 522 for a small-frame machine. These units seem to have the best reputations as solid performers, and the little Toro is super simple and looks to be nice and nimble.

That said, I don't have much first-hand experience with the new machines since I'm still running a 1968 John Deere...

JD_Small_1.jpg

if you get a lot of wet snow or slush.........

the honda is the only way to go.there hydro transmission is pretty much bullet proof.

simplicity is second.

i would not consider anything else.

I bought an ariens 7524 a few years ago and have nothing but good to say about it. I've never had the shoot clog even after a lot of snow then rain on top, making it heavy. It's not too big so it is easy to find a place to store. I'm sure the next size up and so-on would be better and quicker.

the honda is the only way to go.there hydro transmission is pretty much bullet proof.

simplicity is second.

i would not consider anything else.

I wondered how long it would take for Honda to come up. I think it's safe to say if Honda builds something it's going to be among the best. I just wish they didn't cost so much.

That said, I don't have much first-hand experience with the new machines since I'm still running a 1968 John Deere...

lol...well, i guess you can't argue with that.

Yup, I'm the second owner on the JD. Original engine, gears, auger and impeller. I did blast/prime/paint the front half last year, but didn't have the patience to redo the auger and impeller. The drive chain and friction disc were replaced a few years ago. It shifts smoothly, it doesn't creep around in N, and the auger and impeller bushings were still in excellent shape. The previous owner had worn through the back of the housing after he wore away his scraper bar, but he did a good job of rewelding material in and remounting a new scraper bar - a massive 1/4" steel scraper bar, at that.

I think that machines like this and the old two-wheel Gravely tractors that are still working hard today are some of the last vestiges of a day when solid, easy to to work on equipment was the what consumers expected. There are no bells or whistles or safety devices on this machine, and consequently there is a good deal less to have fail. Having spent my childhood mowing the grass and around apple trees in a little orchard with a Gravely, I have a lot of respect for the old steel and cast iron machines. I'm not even that old, but it saddens me to think that kids today will never have lived in a time where solid, reliable OPE was what you used to get work done.

Last edited:
No problems with the Tecumseh engines on any blower I've used, and I used to make my living clearing snow with blowers. Change the oil and you'll be fine with B&S, Tecumseh, or Honda.

In terms of brands, Ariens, Simplicity/Snapper (they appear to be the same unit), Toro, and Honda seem to have the best machines in terms of build quality and durability according the the folks on plowsite and elsewhere. Toro probably has the best dealer network, at least in the places I've been. Rumors of JD's quality going downhill persist, though I see lots of newer JD 2-stage machines in service and working fine. If long-term durability is your primary concern, the top-of-the-line Ariens have cast iron auger/impeller gear cases, too.

For my money, I'd probably go with Ariens or Simplicity for a large-frame model, and the Toro 522 for a small-frame machine. These units seem to have the best reputations as solid performers, and the little Toro is super simple and looks to be nice and nimble.

JD_Small_1.jpg

LOL! Nice piece of equipment. I'm sorry to say I have you beat. I am the 3rd generation running my antique snowblower. Details and photo will have to wait until I get home this evening. You will be proud.....

I dont know if we have a honda snowblower dealer around here by me

I do have a Toro and an ariens dealer in town so thats a bonus.....

I think that machines like this and the old two-wheel Gravely tractors that are still working hard today are some of the last vestiges of a day when solid, easy to to work on equipment was the what consumers expected. There are no bells or whistles or safety devices on this machine, and consequently there is a good deal less to have fail. Having spent my childhood mowing the grass and around apple trees in a little orchard with a Gravely, I have a lot of respect for the old steel and cast iron machines. I'm not even that old, but it saddens me to think that kids today will never have lived in a time where solid, reliable OPE was what you used to get work done.

+1!! I recently bought a house on a couple acres that came with a monky wards mower. That wasn't going to do, I wanted a John Deere like I used as a kid so off to the John Deere dealer I went. All I saw were bright green and yellow mowers similar to the monky wards I had. Did some research and decided what I wanted was a JD140h3, took a little over a year to find one but finally did last spring. It's a great machine! Paints a little worn and it needs a seat but no smoke, creep, leaks, or weird noises, runs smooth and it even had the hydraulic blade and three point attachment! It's more complicated than the monkey wards it replaced but everything on it works better and its 24 years old. Not to mention how much fun it is to use!!

Cool snowblower by the way!

Last edited:
My father has a 60's era simplicity 2 wheel tractor that still pushes snow. Yeah, no safety features. Belt driven with no covers. The thing is unstoppable, wont even burn (ask my brother in law).
I found the catalog for it and saw a nice brush cutter attachment. It was a large circular saw blade on the front. Must have been 20" in diameter with no guards.

Latest posts

Back