so here's the video

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rx7man

Cattle Rubbing Post
Reaction score
Here's the Manhattan project husky 61... not much left that's stock... bored. .. stroked.... ported.. and piped.. 32" unmodified Stihl skip full chisel.. and a big darned fir

I'd love to put a race chain on it and change the port timing to optimize the pipe, but I still want it to function as a work saw

Oh yeah... hutzl top end

I might tune it even higher at some point.. but I'll have to change the exhaust port timing to make gains up there.. its at about 12,300 free revving, and between 9000 and 11000 in the cut.. it has NO grunt at the bottom end, but once you get it going it really wakes up... it's set pretty rich too.. tuning a piped saw is TOTALLY different than a mufflered saw.. the pipe I designed to limit the RPM with a steep baffle, and it does it very effectively.. there's only 1000 RPM between free rev and peak power, maybe 2000 between peak torque and free rev.

Not your average 61 eh? How do you think it did in those cuts?

I love the older jonnys i am very happy with my runner 630. Ive wondered if i could pull a 24" or so with it no pipe tho.
Did the pipe make a big difference in the cut?

Timing specs are pretty much a woods port, with a little more exhaust than most people here would have.. I think it's 97/121/80... I'm considering getting the grinder out and going to under 90 on exhaust and about 90 on intake, then shortening the pipe a little more.. yeah, it would lose some more bottom end, but I think I could get it up to 13,000 in the cut...

Compression was at 180 PSI when I put it together, I might have fired it up a couple times, haven't checked recently... it's a standard 77cc geometry with 52mm bore and 36mm stroke. transfer ports have 'minifingers' that are about 6* advance of the main transfers, lots of cutting and hacking has been done on the lower side of the jug, I have pictures of that in the 'My life, my workbench" thread

The bar is an oddball.. it says "Pioneer P60" and seems to fit a husky fine, 32" from spikes to nose, but 111 drive links.

@smokey7 , the 630 is much like the 920 right? should pull a 24" bar no problem, especially in softwoods, and with a porting job it'll do it in hardwoods too

Im not familiar with the 920. Its just like a 162se closed port 48mm by 36mm. It seems to have a aweful lot of torque to spare with a 18".

Latest posts

Back