Good, better, and best

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rx7man

Cattle Rubbing Post
Reaction score
What saw brands are good? which are better? and which are best?
Just kidding.. no, this isn't about that :p

Good: a saw that runs good

Better: a ported saw that runs better

Best: I just discovered it.. a PIPED saw!

I just built a pipe for my Manhattan project Husky '277'.. I still have some tuning to do to it, but I can DEFINITELY say WOW. It currently is tuned to fall on it's face just after it hits powerband to help the bottom end hold together, and it's tuned for too low an RPM at this point, but it HAULS ASS with a 32" bar buried in fir!! and that's with an 8 pin sprocket... you can't LEAN on it, but you don't needs to be lighthanded by any means either. I'm going to work on tweaking the pipe a little, then I'll take some video.. I should have something for y'all by the end of the week I hope

Here's the mockup of the pipe on a parts saw... it's not quite as big as it looks, perspective is funky in the pic.
20151012_014221sm.jpg

Yeah, it's pretty easy to burn yourself on it.

Brad, the pipe has a super narrow powerband and you can't really tell if it's rich or lean by how it runs.. its going to take a lot of plug checks.. it seems to be that the way to tune this one is start rich and lean it just until it runs clean, you won't gain anything by going leaner... of course once cut the pipe and hopefully tune it to go to 11,000 that may change a little.

What I can say right now is it has all the balls a mildly ported 2100 has, but with more chain speed.

I can't wait until I have some wood to noodle with too... this tree that fell is HUGE, and twisted badly too, so I don't think I'll bother with splitting it, I'll just saw it into chunks.

Great, now that I've run a piped saw I won't bear to deal with the sluggishness of a ported saw anymore.

Yeah, it's pretty easy to burn yourself on it.

Brad, the pipe has a super narrow powerband and you can't really tell if it's rich or lean by how it runs.. its going to take a lot of plug checks.. it seems to be that the way to tune this one is start rich and lean it just until it runs clean, you won't gain anything by going leaner... of course once cut the pipe and hopefully tune it to go to 11,000 that may change a little.

What I can say right now is it has all the balls a mildly ported 2100 has, but with more chain speed.

I can't wait until I have some wood to noodle with too... this tree that fell is HUGE, and twisted badly too, so I don't think I'll bother with splitting it, I'll just saw it into chunks.

Great, now that I've run a piped saw I won't bear to deal with the sluggishness of a ported saw anymore.
You guys are killing me. I'm just starting to understand porting and itching to do my own. Now this when will it end. I need help!! Hi my name is milkman31 and I have CAD! And a few others that lm not sure of yet!

OK, I shortened the pipe a little bit, I think I got another 1000 RPM out of it, may have to go shorter yet though.. haven't put it in the wood yet. But I do have better pictures

IMG_0711sm.jpg
IMG_0712sm.jpg

Back