so i call about a free firewood add.......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky455rancher

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
old guy answers the phone he goes its oak all big tree no brush or little sh*t. he goes your gonna need a big saw i said i got it covered no problem. so hes talkin to my dad since i dont know directions in the city. anyway he tells my dad theres like 3 cord of wood in one tree. anyway he hangs up and my dads like yeah right theres no trees that big in the city hes prolly talkin about one like this (points to a maybe 2ft across oak. after a while he convinces me thats about as big as the tree can be.

so today after work i head down there IT WAS THE BIGGEST TREE I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!!! i couldnt believe it i wish i had my camera. i took some with my phone but i dont have the cable to hook it to the computer. im talkin HUGE i bet it was 4ft across no lie. i put my foot in one pic of the stump for scale and my 11 1/2 boot looked like a friggin baby shoe. you NEED a $1000 chainsaw to cut this badboy. i still got the 32" bar from when i had my 372 and even if i still had the 372 i wouldnt even have bothered to take it outta the truck!

You just gotta love these free firewood posts.

Forgive me I just couldn't help myself with this one.

So, the now you have really big wood ?

So whats the problem. Chuck up the 32" with some full skip take your time make a nice humbolt cut & just take all the limbs. :deadhorse:

i thought theres no way theres gonna be a tree that big where he lived. youd have to know the area. my dad had me convinced he was old and he must have meant 4ft around not across lol. im gonna call him tonight and tell him about it lol. it was 2 miles from my work so it was worth the ride just to see it. i just took my 455 lol. well the more i think about it if i had the 372 id give it a go just to say i did it lol.

i dunno i wish i had some pics to show you it was humbling standing near a trunk that huge. there wasnt much length to it 12ft maybe. it was 2 pieces but man was it huge. i can see the bar smoking already from that thing.

Last edited:
My dealer rents out a 440 for $ 50 bucks a day. The problem is people keep straigt gasing the thing so it spends more time in the shop than it does out cutting.

There has to be somebody within driving distance that wants in on a part of it.

Start up in the tree taking what you can get. Working your way up a little at a time after work. In the meanwhile get busy searching Ebay and pawnshops for a saw to fit the bill to finish off that trunk. Let the homeowner know whats going on. As long as you are making progress he probably won't mind as long as you arent leaving a mess.

Work safe and don't get hurt.

Dont forget to post pix here !

a "free" wood ad in the local craigslist:

We have 3 established maple trees growing in the back yard. They are 15 to 20 feet high and about 9 inches around (I'm a terrible judge of distance). If you have the equipment to take the trees (heavy equipment is welcome) I also need to dig out a patch of dirt about 5 to 6 feet by 15 feet for concrete. The trees are there for the taking.
PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO AD!!! Best to call 235-XXXX or [email protected]
Thanks and have a great day!

3 small trees, and bring your heavy equipment to dig out his patio.

ive gotten a prettry large amount of wood from free ads. not everyone is a douche. yeah you get the bad ones on occasionm but i still check em out if their close enough. with gas where it is now my 2500 hemi wont go too far for a "free wood" ad, thats for sure!

ive gotten a prettry large amount of wood from free ads. not everyone is a douche. yeah you get the bad ones on occasionm but i still check em out if their close enough. with gas where it is now my 2500 hemi wont go too far for a "free wood" ad, thats for sure!

i do check some out myself. during the summer when it's hot and muggy, i don't cut too much. fall and winter is my time.

A couple years ago when I was just getting started with wood a neighbor had a 37" rock maple blow down in his yard. He knew I was looking for wood and offered it. I jumped at the chance for that much wood I could just pull the trailer up to.

All I had at the time was the Craftsman and Poulan on my sig. Took about 6hours over two days but I got that wood cut up and there is still some of it left in the pile for getting started in October.

Just have to be inventive with your cuts. At one time I remember standing on top of the tree with the saw straight up and down cutting the middle of the tree where the bar couldn't reach from each side.

Latest posts

Back