So, I Had Chinese Cylinder Kits Shipped In PIC Heavy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OOOOOOOORRRRRRRRR by reading and comprehending the research put in by folks like Duke and Randy and Brad and others who figure things out and spread knowledge rather than posting crap ad nauseum to the benefit of pretty much nobody.
DDave

How many people outside of AS know of or read what is posted on here by fellows mentioned? If I ask Joe public about AS or other saw sites they know nothing about them. They just buy a shot in the dark, some get lucky many not so much. Now I know the good, better and best AM stuff that has passed through my hands and I get to read all the posts on here but the general public that buy many thousands more times the parts that all of on here combined only have to gamble on a hit or miss purchase.

Tangential: Are shops rebuilding customer saws with these kits, or are they primarily/exclusively marketed to individual DIY types and/or saw-flippers?
Locally, a friend of mine who has been in business since the early 80s swears by OEM Stihl stuff and rarely strays far from the path when it comes to aftermarket.

The majority of his choices favor OEM parts when it is available. He will offer aftermarket to customers he knows and trusts if they are willing to take the "risk" of a non warranted product with the understanding that he will receive no backlash should the parts fail as a result of defection, not his work.

How many people outside of AS know of or read what is posted on here by fellows mentioned? If I ask Joe public about AS or other saw sites they know nothing about them. They just buy a shot in the dark, some get lucky many not so much. Now I know the good, better and best AM stuff that has passed through my hands and I get to read all the posts on here but the general public that buy many thousands more times the parts that all of on here combined only have to gamble on a hit or miss purchase.

Jerry,

That is why I'm taking the time to investigate this market, and there are some other folks here who have likely put a lot of sweat into it as well.

Basically what it comes down to is the person selling it at retail.

Is he going to inspect the product thoroughly prior to sale?

Is he going to stand behind his product after its out of his hands?

So, I know that Meteor and Tecomec make good stuff in the AM world. I just flipped over to Bailey's, and the Meteor kits seem reasonable at $120-150; I can see the appeal when some of the OEM kits are $300+ (254, 262, for example). Given that Meteor seems to be able to get it right at this price point, and their products are a known quantity (much as OEM is a known quantity, albeit at a higher price point), is the appeal of these lower-end Chinese kits that they provide a lower customer price point or a higher profit for the reseller?

I am somewhat surprised that the proliferation of AM kits (particularly on eBay) has not exerted measurable downward pressure on the price of OEM kits.

So, I know that Meteor and Tecomec make good stuff in the AM world. I just flipped over to Bailey's, and the Meteor kits seem reasonable at $120-150; I can see the appeal when some of the OEM kits are $300+ (254, 262, for example). Given that Meteor seems to be able to get it right at this price point, and their products are a known quantity (much as OEM is a known quantity, albeit at a higher price point), is the appeal of these lower-end Chinese kits that they provide a lower customer price point or a higher profit for the reseller?

I am somewhat surprised that the proliferation of AM kits (particularly on eBay) has not exerted measurable downward pressure on the price of OEM kits.
It likely hasn't because the portion of the public with the willingness to rebuild their own saws is minor in comparison to the guys who drop their equipment off the have the air filter and plug changed let alone rebuilt.

I think most saws that end up with AM stuff would have had declined repairs at the dealer.

Duke, just it chime in. i took my old 023 in to my dealer to have a new p&c put on . thought we were going OEM used but it turned out to be some chinese stuff. i have been running it more than usual just to see how it holds up and so far it's running really good alibeit really loud like it had a muff mod.

Sure. Most customers we get don't care as long as the saw runs and the fix was cheap. I have never seen anything as **** as the cylinders in these photos though, holy cow!

Tangential: Are shops rebuilding customer saws with these kits, or are they primarily/exclusively marketed to individual DIY types and/or saw-flippers?

I put an AM 55 P/C on my 51 when I got it because I didn't know if the bottom end had a leak or if it really was straight gassed as the guy claimed. I was pleased with the kit, and I'm near certain it came from Bailey's, but I don't recall who made it. It was miles ahead of these in fit/finish and ready to bolt on out of the box.

Unless you can honestly expect a saw to have good performance, there's no reason to dilute your brand with "cheap" offerings. There comes a point where the transaction doesn't benefit either the customer or the seller in the long run. Buying under performing stuff could pollute someone's impression of your other wares and cause them to shop elsewhere in the future. It's not like you'd want a disclaimer "These parts are pretty crappy, but they're cheap" on your site. "He warned me not to expect much" isn't the memory that will be retained when the saw craps the bed.

With that said, I sent ya a PM on the 372 BB. I'm curious about putting a grinder to it. :)

Latest posts

Back