So, I just got back...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...but if your hanging out with guys that know there stuff...
No doubt they know their stuff... it's a bit humbling for a simple firewood hack like me.
What I really noticed was the throttle response of them saws... and it became even more apparent yesterday when I noodled a couple big rounds of elm with my saw. Heck, I always thought my little 026 ran damn good... but it ain't got nothin' on what them boys have got. I ain't never noticed the little hesitation in the throttle till now... thanks a lot boys :D

I made a couple cuts with one of Homelite410's saws (I believe that's right, I was gettin' all the names mixed up)... but like I said, I ain't much of a "cookie-cutter". Darn thing ran and cut so good (better and faster than I'm used to) I started leanin' on it rather than just let it work. I mean, I know better... but it was hard for me not to because it felt like it was runnin' away. Basically, I don't know how to use the more powerful saws... I'm a newbie fur sure. I've had bigger saws in the past, way back in the past, but at the time I didn't have any idea how to tune 'em, and I didn't sharpen 'em myself either... the chains were always dull(ish) and no doubt (rememberin' the smoke and plug fouling) they were runnin' way too rich.

What ya think of "the other German saw" you ran?
Is that the one I'm talkin' about above??
Yeah... "snotty" is a good word.

Lookin' forward to a "next time" when I can learn a bit more... honestly, I really didn't understand some of what I was bein' told, and there wasn't enough time to ask a thousand and one questions.

Holy Moley‼ Seriously??
Most of the time mine wears a 16 inch, but I do run a 20 inch with .325 chain when needed, it pulls it "OK" I guess.
But 28 inches?? And that looks like 3/8 chain‼
I do not like to bend over cutting stuff ,and do not bury the whole bar ,if i did the clutch may explode lol ,the extra reach is nice limbing also ,I run 32 inch on everything else ,I also have a 16 inch pico bar for this saw also for up in trees ,or carpentry work ,I run the ms440 hybrid 90% of the time with a 32 though ,With a real sharp square chain the 28 is not too bad in softwoods ,just do not use all of it at once .
If need a hedge trimmer i use the 36 inch bar ;)
026 086.jpg

Spidey,
I know you don't spend too much time down here in "chainsaw forum" but yer more the welcome to come hang around..
now that you met some of the guys I'm sure they would be nicer then the "firewood forum" guys....( never thought I would say that out loud)
He ran a Dolmar 7900 now...
It's just a matter of time fore sumthin' happens...

I do not like to bend over cutting stuff ,and do not bury the whole bar ,if i did the clutch may explode lol ,the extra reach is nice limbing also ,I run 32 inch on everything else ,I also have a 16 inch pico bar for this saw also for up in trees ,or carpentry work ,I run the ms440 hybrid 90% of the time with a 32 though ,With a real sharp square chain the 28 is not too bad in softwoods ,just do not use all of it at once .
If need a hedge trimmer i use the 36 inch bar ;)
]

Damn, that looks like an exhausting weight to be swinging around. I'm beat after a couple of hours with a 24 inch bar. 32 - 36 and I'd be begging for help.

Damn, that looks like an exhausting weight to be swinging around. I'm beat after a couple of hours with a 24 inch bar. 32 - 36 and I'd be begging for help.
I run lightweight bars ,i bet it feels no different ,my 32 inch then your 24 does ,that 36 on the 026 was just a gag picture a while back for an older thread ,i would never run a 36 on that saw ,the 28 i have though ,the 28 light feels similar to the 20 inch es bar i have on it for balance .

and a "FEW" more saws to acquire... !!!!
Let's not get too hasty...
Maybe one... well... maybe two... and maybe a little top handle... but that's it... really... no more than that... seriously... I have the will-power of a mountain... really... I do... :rare2:

Did he get to run a ported 385/390 by any chance....Im stuck between that and the 7900 for chainsaw( firewood) nirvana ...

* I have not run a ported 660 or a stock 661 yet....
I prefer a 7910 if you want to run a 28" bar or smaller because of the weight difference. And a ported 7910 is just the s##t. Lol.

Latest posts

Back