So I was always told there's no dumb questions just dumb mistakes...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedyOH

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I've never used or personally seen an Alaskan mill in use before.....I bought a 36" mill Friday, the description says "36 inch mill can cut a max width of 32 inches and you need a 42 inch bar to achive the maximum 32 inch cut" .
My bar is 36" so why couldn't I get the 32 inch max with my bar?

Thanks!

Standard Alaskan mills use a bar clamp system requires the clamp be set around 4" back from the end of the bar to avoid crushing the nose sprocket.
Then the inboard end has to dodge the CS dos so around 2 inches or bar are lost at that end .
So a total of around 6" is lost this way - a 36" bar will thus only have a max width of 30".
To max a 36" mill out then requires a 42" bar

In practice logs are rarely straight so dodging lumps and bumps on the side of a log requires another couple of inches.

There are modifications that can be made to an Alaskan that allow the bar to be bolted direct to the mill (i.e. no clamps) that gain 2.5" at the nose and if the dogs are removed from the CS an inch or so can be recovered from the inboard end.

Got it - good advise on the spikes as well, just measured them and mine are more like bear claws, I'll gain about 1.75" if need be.....I appreciate the detailed explanation Bob!

Latest posts

Back