So... is this the standard way to cut palms? Wild Ride!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seen guys try to get more whip out of topping pines, but never like this really crazy.
Climber here is significant weight part of problem of the bending etc. then becomes part of whip too.
Does not even try to slow whip down by pulling back as it goes forward etc. like child on swing chokes down speed.
Would seem like an angle that can lay to, if can control pull angle.
This was my go to strategy for palms, damaged trees etc. with no branches to throwline:
throwline_no_branches.png

Would give great directional command to clear falling area (if any).
Some times have thrown rope over single lowest branch and then Bowline to back and do lift from top, lone branch as obstacle netralized.

Seen guys try to get more whip out of topping pines, but never like this really crazy.
Climber here is significant weight part of problem of the bending etc. then becomes part of whip too.
Does not even try to slow whip down by pulling back as it goes forward etc. like child on swing chokes down speed.
Would seem like an angle that can lay to, if can control pull angle.
This was my go to strategy for palms, damaged trees etc. with no branches to throwline:
View attachment 858957

Would give great directional command to clear falling area (if any).
Some times have thrown rope over single lowest branch and then Bowline to back and do lift from top, lone branch as obstacle netralized.
Pretty sure I could have gotten a line over that right near the fronds easily.
As far as that method, its great and all in the right situations, but typically when a tree is broke off its not easy to get a throw line to drop right on the broken stem, then when you do you will have a heck of a time pulling up a climb line or bull rope because the throw line gets stuck in the fractures at the top of the spar which isn't fun at all.
If there's one branch up top I'm good though.
That guy in the video is quite the cowboy :happy: .

That guy in the video is quite the cowboy :happy: .

I wonder if his insurance company has seen this?

A while back here in the PNW after they showed the stupid logger shows on TV with guys doing stunts like casting yoder lines, OSHA started showing up to job sites. And the river log salvage guy was busted for illegal salvage logging (WA state owns all river and lake logs) and fined some serious coin. TV episodes were used as evidence.

Latest posts

Back