So, it rained today...project time

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oldsaw

oldsaw

"Been There, Milled That"
Got my 3120 and 066 all tuned and somewhat cleaned up, but found out that one of my cant hooks was goofing up. A long, drawn out story with a simple solution.

You see, I splurged on a LogRite cant hook about a year ago, and haven't used my old one much...those who have one know what I'm talking about. So, my old cant hook, which has seen many big logs has been a bit ignored. Well, I used it today, and decided it was time for a bit of work.

Evidence that I have in fact used my old cant hook:

P1010003.jpg

The hook wasn't moving like it used to...wonder why. It has kind of a lightning bolt shape and crushed threads. Had a reasonably difficult time getting it out. But once it was out, I decided to upgrade a few things and spiff it up a bit.

The end result:

P1010005.jpg

I replaced the bolt, upgraded the screw that holds the hook collar on, and filed a much better point on the end of the hook. Topped it off with a nice coat of paint, and, pardon the mess, but now it's kind of spiffy...but still not nearly as cool as the LogRite. But it will stick a lot better now.

I really wanted to cut some wood today, but I guess I got to handle some saws and have a "maintenence day".

Mark

manual

manual

Addicted to ArboristSite
Now you done it.

The little woman saw that picture of you work bench.
She sad." It's that your garage? why did you put that on there for"? and kept on walking.
You should see my cant hook. I broke the handle, so I took Gorilla glue and six hose clamps to put it back together.
I have another one broken. I cannot get the handle out of the hook. What do you do burn it out. to replace the handle?

Last edited:
computeruser

computeruser

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Looks good! Excellent choice of color, too. Sap will love it, but I recently repainted my wheelbarrow that color, to go along with all my shovels and rakes and such that get painted Ford Tractor Blue so I can see them in the woods or when working, and so people won't walk off with them when I work with groups (Habitat for Humanity volunteers are the worst, they think that everybody's tools are there to be shared).

Cut4fun

Cut4fun

Faster is Better
Good choice of color. Brighter the better on outdoor tools. Hate trying to locate **** when working. I need to paint my sledges and pry bars like that. While tearing up the barn, it was like where the *&% is the tools. Be laying next to a beam or tall grass and couldnt see them in the metal color and wood handles, great idea there.

oldsaw

oldsaw

That was the factory color, but, it matches the LogRite, so I kept it.

You want a stick you won't lose in the grass?

P1010006.jpg

You want one that is going to stick in the log and not let go?

P1010007.jpg

Powder coated bright blue aluminum. The old fashioned wood stick is now just for "back-up", but it still has to work. BTW, that one is a 60" version, that extra foot is a wonder with big logs.

Mark

oldsaw

oldsaw

manual said:
The little woman saw that picture of you work bench.
She sad." It's that your garage? why did you put that on there for"? and kept on walking.
You should see my cant hook. I broke the handle, so I took Gorilla glue and six hose clamps to put it back together.
I have another one broken. I cannot get the handle out of the hook. What do you do burn it out. to replace the handle?

At least I'm not alone. I've had it cleaned off 4 times in recent weeks, but everybody treats it as a catch-all...including me.

Mine hammered off and on fairly easily. I'm not too sure if I would be too keen on a repaired handle. Check this site out. They are good people and make a great product. I have no connection except being a fan of their stuff.

www.logrite.com

You won't break that handle.

Mark

manual

manual

Addicted to ArboristSite
Used one, Loved it. Grabs any log no problem without kicking it into the log.
60" handle would be the way to go also. unless your skidway is waist high.

RaisedByWolves

RaisedByWolves

Addicted to ArboristSite
Good thread.

Im in the process of making a timberjack and was wondering if you guys would mind giving me some measurements from your logrite and cant hooks.

I would need the measurement from the pivot bolt to the tip of the point as to figure how long to make the arm and cypher the dia of log it will work on.

Thanks in advance.

oldsaw

oldsaw

RaisedByWolves said:
Good thread.

Im in the process of making a timberjack and was wondering if you guys would mind giving me some measurements from your logrite and cant hooks.

I would need the measurement from the pivot bolt to the tip of the point as to figure how long to make the arm and cypher the dia of log it will work on.

Thanks in advance.

9 1/2" and 9" respectively. I've used the regular cant hook on logs north of 40" (Hence the crushed threads and bent bolt), ditto the LogRite.

Mark

oldsaw

oldsaw

RaisedByWolves said:
Thanks oldsaw.

So it would be fair to say that a sharp point is more important than the amount that the hook will wrap around the tree?

To a point. You need to make sure that the tip can clamp the log into the point, that's what makes it stick.

Mark

Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
Not that some of you will care, but the logrite is the same Peavey and Cant hook now sold by Stihl in orange. I of course have one.... and can't keep them in stock!.

Love the length, and that it will never rot or split.

What do you all prefer - the cant style or the peavey? and why...

oldsaw

oldsaw

Lakeside53 said:
Not that some of you will care, but the logrite is the same Peavey and Cant hook now sold by Stihl in orange. I of course have one.... and can't keep them in stock!.

Never used a peavey, only a cant hook. The poker would only get in my way more often than not.

Mark

manual

manual

Addicted to ArboristSite
RaisedByWolves said:
Thanks oldsaw.

So it would be fair to say that a sharp point is more important than the amount that the hook will wrap around the tree?

Old saw is right a point, If you do a side by side test on logrite and the wooden handle you will notice the logrite grabs without slaming it into the log.
thats because of the arm design.
If someone could take a picture of the two arms on top of one another you will see.

manual

manual

Addicted to ArboristSite
Lakeside53 said:

" The Same " :jawdrop: I'm starting to see a pattern. Hope Sthil don't run out of paint. Make mine a cant style. Something about pointy objects, prying, then maybe falling scares me.

Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
It's intersting... We've alway sold only Peavy style out here, and rarely even see Cant stlye. I messed up a few weeks ago and ordered Cant by mistake. I thought I'd have to eat them or send them back, but the flew off the shelves.

I use the peavy points as a pry bar to open up rounds etc.. Also good for spearing the ground to stand the peavy up!

manual

manual

Addicted to ArboristSite
Some guys at a sawmill have one "the cant style" and the cap end where the screw in tooth goes broke. It could be tigged on again.
They are going to check with logrite herd they stand by there products.
Spreading open the rounds good idea. if its too big to turn or you get you bar stuck.

Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
I wanted to covert a cant to a peavey, and guess what - log-rite makes the two inserts a different size! That's getting fixed (on mine)... I'm also making an eyelet end to hook a cable onto the cant/peavey for stretching around big logs.

manual

manual

Addicted to ArboristSite
Lakeside53 said:
I wanted to covert a cant to a peavey, and guess what - log-rite makes the two inserts a different size! That's getting fixed (on mine)... I'm also making an eyelet end to hook a cable onto the cant/peavey for stretching around big logs.

Do you mean an eyelet to use to pull the cable under the log that is on the ground for skidding?

Latest posts