so ive got this job to do..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

builttoughf350

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
ive always turned down tree jobs for the last 5 years if they were in the power wires. now ive got to take the approach of NOT turning jobs down... gotta get all the business i can get and i am buying my first house next week, so i gotta make the $$

i have a pine tree to remove for a customer, and the very tips of the branches are just touching the power wires- the 2" thick wires that go from pole to pole. i must be getting arrogent, cause i thought, "well, if i use my jameson poles or Stihl power pole saw and just cut at the very base of the branch and just let the tips down itll be fine"

now im thinking it wont be such a good idea...

with it being the primaries will the power company shut the power down temporarily while i climb and piece down the tree?

will they trim it back and leave the rest for me to finish up?

i understand every location and company has different rules / obligations...

anyone have any advice from experience?

i read the first few pages of the other thread about this, just seems to be going back and forth about what NOT to use rather than what the power company will do.

thanks

2 inch thick? pole to pole are you sure they are power,
must be secondaries? I don't want to give you the wrong
info here but could be cable tv. The only way you will know
is call power company let them know what you are doing
and that you want to be safe! They should send a person
out and they won't charge you. If you try it and knock power
out they usually charge time and a half and material so be safe
call!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 inch thick? pole to pole are you sure they are power,
must be secondaries? I don't want to give you the wrong
info here but could be cable tv. The only way you will know
is call power company let them know what you are doing
and that you want to be safe! They should send a person
out and they won't charge you. If you try it and knock power
out they usually charge time and a half and material so be safe
call!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you get killed you won't have to pay a cent. Primaries are not 2" thick, if it was 2" thick it would be a transmission line. Trees would burn way before ever touching a transmission line. So, if you don't have a clue, do as Rope says and call up the power co.

Call them and find out. Every one wants something for nothing, Did not JFK say "ask not what the power company can do for you, ask what you can do for the power company"? They might send out Asplundh to get it back from the lines, if I was the power guy I would say "Stay the hell away, you are way out of your league"

Maybe they will sleave it for you. USUALLY(Not always so don't count on this, check with the utility first) the primary wires are at the top of the pole, phone and cable at the bottom. call the utility and Live to see this house you are buying.

gotta get all the business i can get and i am buying my first house next week, so i gotta make the $$

I have seen this statement in the newspaper too many times, usually preceded by the desciption of the accident and the friends and family talking about what a great person he/she WAS. If you are not qualified to do the job, don't do it.

Back