So,poison Ivy doesn't bother you..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loadthestove

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I don't know how many times I heard someone say poison ivy, oak, sumac, doesn't affect me.
well until this week it really didn't bother me much . Usually a slight rash on fingers or arms for a few days then all would be well.
Last Saturday night the wife and I were out having dinner and she asked what is that on your forehead..
Sunday the rash had spread to the crown of my head and into my eyebrow and on Monday morning my eye was nearly swollen shut.
Two trips to Dr's office a couple of shots and a script and I think I'm beginning to heal.
Sad thing is , I have no idea where I come in contact with the stuff . I have spent the previous several evenings pressure washing my decks/sidewalks and staining decks and haven't even walked by my woodlot.
DSC_1223.jpg

No chemicals of any type were used, just a gas pressure washer and deck restore from lowes. Dr said I was "digging"in my sleep at the blisters causing
the raw spots

Over the last 3 summers insects really don't bit me at all . Many times I see people go in the house an say I can't stand it and I feel almost nothing . I could not figure out what was going on . Then read about the horny layer .I stop washing it off .What I read about this when you break threw the layer you really open your body to everything pimples are not caused by diet or dirt the real problem you washed off the good layer .About all skin an hair problems are the only reason for this . No shampoo or pimple company or doctor will never tell anyone about this . This secrect will remain ,I wrote places about it and was banned from health care sites an no one would even try it . The only I got was a nose up in the air . My nose has never been plug in four years I had 2 colds in that time one lasted 2 days the other lasted a 1/2 a day an could still breath with my nose .An no one will study this ?

A couple years ago my brother and I were at a state park. Signs were everywhere warning of PI. We both ended up with minor rashes. We were very careful to avoid it, but figure we rubbed the hand railing that others had touched.

physical transfer from previously used tools, clothing. Then there is always the burn pile out back, the stuff that been accumulating for a while that gets set ablaze, yep favorite spot for PI and everyone in the wind drift is at risk. Pets transfer from fur or paws. Mower, weed wacker, saws toss it all over.

As a kid I would run bare footed in the hay field behind my house, our play areas were the poison sumac stand of woods, as a boy scout I wrestled in poison Ivy patches, at the golf course I'm the one who finds other players golf balls. At 67 years of age I have yet to contract Poison Ivy. Is something wrong with me ??

You are fortunate to have an immune system that does not react to the oil. I too have been in it since i was old enough to get around on my own. I have always reacted to it, but not in the traditional sense of blisters and such, More like a nasty heat rash.

Over the last 3 summers insects really don't bit me at all . Many times I see people go in the house an say I can't stand it and I feel almost nothing . I could not figure out what was going on . Then read about the horny layer .I stop washing it off .What I read about this when you break threw the layer you really open your body to everything pimples are not caused by diet or dirt the real problem you washed off the good layer .About all skin an hair problems are the only reason for this . No shampoo or pimple company or doctor will never tell anyone about this . This secrect will remain ,I wrote places about it and was banned from health care sites an no one would even try it . The only I got was a nose up in the air . My nose has never been plug in four years I had 2 colds in that time one lasted 2 days the other lasted a 1/2 a day an could still breath with my nose .An no one will study this ?

So you use no soap or hot water. Curious.....I can see not using smelling/perfumed soaps.

I don't go out of my way to avoid it, but I don't go rolling around in it either.

I was never bothered by it or by poison sumac or poison oak. Not even a slight rash or blister. I couldn't tell you what it looked like, except "leaves of three, leave it be" because I have never been bothered by it.

2 years ago it was almost pushing 100°F out and I cut a bunch of trees that had 1/4"-1/2" dia. hairy vines on them with a t-shirt, shorts and chaps on. I was sweating like a you know what in church, covered in chips and dust, all day long. I had a patch in the crook of my right elbow about the size of a dime get red and itch a little, that's all. No blisters. Still find those vines on the trees, temps aren't as bad since then, and no more rash or itching.

I wouldn't know what ivy rash looked like, so I can't comment on what you have.

As a kid I would run bare footed in the hay field behind my house, our play areas were the poison sumac stand of woods, as a boy scout I wrestled in poison Ivy patches, at the golf course I'm the one who finds other players golf balls. At 67 years of age I have yet to contract Poison Ivy. Is something wrong with me ??
Nope. I think it's more like something is right with you!![emoji106]

Nothing wrong in my book. I am also 67 years old and don't even notice PI until someone else points it out to me. By then I am usually knee deep in the stuff.

Ok, I'll bite. The horny layer?! So is this just like a thick layer of stank? Skeetahs just be like, I ain't pokin that!
OK, I've had my fun...explain please :yes:

To me it is simple. If you scrub your skin you expose newer layers that are not as tough as the dead skin layer on your hands and such. You could think of it as exposing sensitive skin like happens when a sunburn peels and leaves you vulnerable to damage. Less frequent and less vigorous scrubbing helps the skin do its job and protect you.

Ok, I'll bite. The horny layer?! So is this just like a thick layer of stank? Skeetahs just be like, I ain't pokin that!
OK, I've had my fun...explain please :yes:
You never google it ? I tried to copy an paste some pages , anyway by no means thick 1oo of a milllimetre thick takes 4 to 6 weeks to grow discovered in 1886 . Not sure but I believe hot water is washing it off . Millions are washing the horny layer off the best line of defense for germs and about everything else . You can wash every day an save the layer . To start with you can't be in the shower so long the hot water runs out . Remember you are a mammal an can take the cold the brain controls the temperature .

Ivy never bothered me till several years ago when I was hanging some deer stands and got it on the inside of both arms and some on my neck. I never even knew for sure what it looked like because I've never needed to be concerned as I have played and worked in the same woods all my life with no problems. I guess things can change as we age----I certainly keep watch for it now!

Latest posts

Back