So,poison Ivy doesn't bother you..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Less frequent and less vigorous scrubbing helps the skin do its job and protect you.
Darn right... don't wanna' wash off that protective coating very often.
I bathe just before I put the union suit long-johns on around Thanksgiving, and just after I cut 'em off around Easter :D

FWIW, looks like you used your arm to wipe sweat off your head, could be poison ivy, could be a reaction to a caustic solution. Different people can react differently to both, extreme heat makes most more susceptible to both. The way that people react to both can change over time. I have to be careful with water based paints, when that started it was a new thing.

Watch the eye carefully and be vigilant about infection.

I've had it look like that but it was from the diggin and scratching of the ivy rather than the ivy itself if you know what I mean..

To me it is simple. If you scrub your skin you expose newer layers that are not as tough as the dead skin layer on your hands and such. You could think of it as exposing sensitive skin like happens when a sunburn peels and leaves you vulnerable to damage. Less frequent and less vigorous scrubbing helps the skin do its job and protect you.

skip to 2:00 for his actual advice.

He forgot one important type of soap. The one that every greasemonkey/mechanic uses to wash up with after grinding around on a greasy oily machine. My personal favorite is Go Jo with Pumice. There are many brands similar and they are specifically designed for oil. I get poison ivy but sometimes when it is tightly mixed in with plants I want to save I will pull it out with the roots and immediately wash with the good soap. Someone with extreme allergies might not get away with this procedure though, like the folks that get it from the smoke in the air.
340296.jpg

As a kid I would run bare footed in the hay field behind my house, our play areas were the poison sumac stand of woods, as a boy scout I wrestled in poison Ivy patches, at the golf course I'm the one who finds other players golf balls. At 67 years of age I have yet to contract Poison Ivy. Is something wrong with me ??

Nothing wrong in my book. I am also 67 years old and don't even notice PI until someone else points it out to me. By then I am usually knee deep in the stuff.

BEWARE....My dad said the same thing for decades. A few years ago, about age 70, he got one of the worst cases of poison ivy I have ever seen. I don't know what happened but he developed an allergy to it later in life,,,,and it was bad. I hope you don't experience the same. I would avoid it at all costs whether you are allergic or not.

BEWARE....My dad said the same thing for decades. A few years ago, about age 70, he got one of the worst cases of poison ivy I have ever seen. I don't know what happened but he developed an allergy to it later in life,,,,and it was bad. I hope you don't experience the same. I would avoid it at all costs whether you are allergic or not.

Ditto. When I was a kid I would rip out handfuls and chase other kids that were allergic to it. They would run with terror in their eyes and I would be laughing all the time, never intending to touch them with it. Then the summer I turned 21 I got it covering both legs and arms. That really sucked and I developed a keen eye for it almost like it glowed red for danger. For a few years I was very allergic to it then I gradually built up immunity to it again somehow, purely natural. Now I don't get it much again. Paybacks are hell.

I almost forgot. I had 2 friends that had a cure, they claimed. One made a tea with PI leaves each spring and drank it and the other chewed up a PI stem on only one occasion. Both of these guys swore that was their cause for immunity. Each was told later by doctors that it was a dangerous experiment. I don't advise it.

I almost forgot. I had 2 friends that had a cure, they claimed. One made a tea with PI leaves each spring and drank it and the other chewed up a PI stem on only one occasion. Both of these guys swore that was their cause for immunity. Each was told later by doctors that it was a dangerous experiment. I don't advise it.

You might want to delete that post. That sounds like it could be fatal to somebody highly allergic....

I have heard of this, but never gutsy (or stupid) enough to try it.

Great!
Only time I've had it bad was an all day yard clean-up. Fence row with string trimmer to whack the wild grape vine. Didn't get properly cleaned up till very late. Can't remember if the OH bonds(OH-OH-R) is caustic/acidic.
Cleaning is #1 with all chemical burns.

Someone please teach this guy how to face cut.

Famous last words are I'm Not bothered by Poison Ivy.
A few tree service guys I know now dress in hasmat suits to continue working.

A great tip I got from one of them was butter.
Before doing any cutting or going to an area suspected to have Ivy take a small amount of butter and rub it on your hands, into fingernails and on any exposed skin.
Just a tiny film of butter will stop the ivy oil from penetrating to your skin.
Wash like you would normally wash after suspected Ivy exposure and never worry again.

If you would like to try the butter trick before working on a greasy car it works just as well to stop grease.
Cleanup is simple when you pre butter yourself :)

Guy in my church used to eat some at the beginning of every season.
There is online info on how to eat it without touching it (wrap it in a piece of bread) and they advise small amounts of fresh young leaves.

HOWEVER, that being said, many people are (currently) not allergic to it, so it doesn't harm them. Most people are.
The scary thing is that allergies can come and go- maybe years, maybe your whole life, but they can change without you doing anything at all.
You can't really build up immunity, despite all the internet hype about it. DO NOT EAT POISON IVY.

I heard one story of a guy who ate 'too much' and ended up with a bad rash on his bung hole!
A fate worse than death, to be sure.

Latest posts

Back