So question of the day did poulan ever make any good reliable chainsaws or weedeaters etc

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in 1976 I bought one that a "friend" I loaned it to straight gassed and the cost to rebuild it was higher than what I paid for it. I liked that saw and if nothing else, I learned not to loan a saw to an inexperienced operator. I bought a used Poulan 4000 a while back and it runs fine today:
1713461873466.jpeg
No chain brake but a lot of grunt.

Ought to rename this the world of poulans thread lol also I don't know how one could a bow saw those things look hard to use also (correct me if I'm wrong) the kickback on them look mighty terrific

Have rebuilt the carb's on my Counter vibe's a few times and replaced lines, crank them regularly to keep the seals limber. All still have good compression, you can pick them up off the floor by the Recoil Pull Cord and they drop very slowly, one compression stroke at the time, even throw they are heavy saws. They all got even cut time except maybe the 4000 with the bow bar. It bucked a lot of firewood over the years.

I don't know ifi could still trust it I've seen some sketchy **** with a concrete saw a Bow saw and a new guy sounds like a ambulance ride
As long as you keep the gig at the bottom of the front blade engaged in the wood you will have no problem, that is what controls kickback. It's a pleasure bucking with a bow saw, you can stand up while cutting, let the weight of the saw do the cutting, no blade pinch, just push it on through, Don't have to replace or sharpen the chain as often, when finishing a cut just and the gig hits the ground just rock the saw forward, no stooping or bending over to finish a cut. A bowsaw will out produce a barsaw given a time frame because less user fatigue and faster production.

As long as you keep the gig at the bottom of the front blade engaged in the wood you will have no problem, that is what controls kickback. It's a pleasure bucking with a bow saw, you can stand up while cutting, let the weight of the saw do the cutting, no blade pinch, just push it on through, Don't have to replace or sharpen the chain as often, when finishing a cut just and the gig hits the ground just rock the saw forward, no stopping or bending over to finish a cut. A bowsaw will out produce a barsaw given a time frame because less user fatigue and faster production.
Damn I'm liking the sound of that gets me wondering though how many people have tried to cut a tree down with it lol new thing added to the list of buying

Mentioning bows. Some saws I sold in past here. Local friend put bow bars on both due to his back and not having to lean over.

I tell you what running that 371/372 with a bow is scary. IMO bows meant for slower saws.

The 026 pro was woods ported by Dan Henry way back when.

Attachments

• bowbar.JPG
    bowbar.JPG
    265 KB · Views: 0
I like the lighter mag case series the best. Sold the crap out of those to locals. Sweden cranks etc. 46cc, 49cc, 54cc 60cc

Just a coupe 54cc 49cc

Attachments

• pcrankk.jpg
    pcrankk.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 0
  • psaws.jpg
    psaws.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 0
The 70's and 80's Poulan S25CVA's are good reliable lightweight,, well made quality built chainsaws with anti-vibe. I heard a rumor that the Homelite EZ's were built to compete with the S25 Poulans. The EZ's are good strong little saws but do not have anti-vibe other than a rubber wrap on the handle.
They will pull a 16 inch bar with ease when all is correct and they are also top handle.
I use them in the firewood woodlot for trimming.
Few years ago I was going to throw a new to me donor S25CVA in the trash and the guys on this forum advised that most generally they are worth the effort of repairing if you need a good trim saw.

The re-branded Craftsman type's are not as well built. When you see the words FOR OCCASSIONAL USE ONLY on the front page of a craftsman owners manual that is a hint of what you have.

You can see pictures of the S25CVA's on flea bay.

poulan done by partner
I remember back in the mid or late 80s, my stepfather ran an equipment rental place and he brought home a Partner chainsaw, man that thing was strong with excellent anti-vibe. (This was before I discovered Stihl saws, but at the time, that Partner chainsaw seemed like the nicest saw I'd ever used...IIRC, he said that they also had "rescue" versions of that Partner saw for cutting people out of car wrecks...)

Latest posts

Back