So there's this 441...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcobb2

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So as some already know, I'm butting heads with a MS 441C-M. Some others have this issue so I would like to fill in with my approches. First off this is a saw from 2012 with unknown hours on it. Saw runs great on top end just once warmed up it bogs off an idle. Saw has a muffler mod but other then that it's stock. If the saw is tipped nose down, it DOES NOT bog. If saw is on the side as if notching, it does not bog. If saw is run in blocking position, it bogs. Saw has 155 psi of compression. So first I did a carb kit as it had never been done and swapped the fleece filter for a HD2. Throttle cable was sticking so I replaced that with updated version. From this part forward I'll list my attempts but I would like to protect my sanity and state now I'm trying to remember off the top of my head so this may not be the exact order.
1) swapped coil
2) swapped carb off of another 441
3) swapped solenoids
4)swapped harness
5) swapped switch and harness
6) tried infinite positions of metering lever
7) tried adjusting free air butterfly
8) tried adjusting idle screw
9) put all new fuel lines on it
10) put new impulse line on it
11) did pressure and vacuum test on engine
12) did pressure and vacuum test on tank
13) replaced fuel vent
14)replaced fuel filter
15) checked manifold over 6 times while under pressure to make sure I wasn't missing any cracks
16) inspected manifold off the cylinder 6 times
17) drank beer and cried
18) tried 3 plugs two Bosch and one NGK
19) tried different gaps on the plug
20) tried gapping the module differently
21) tried adjusting coil timing
22) tried cleaning off magnets on flywheel
23) tried a different jug
24) tried a different fuel cap

I may have missed some but I think I got most. And yes I did recalibrate after every carb/coil/solenoid/wiring harness/carb setting/timing adjustment with no luck. I have been chasing Bambi's dad all weekend so I have touched since Thursday. Back at it tomorrow...

Try number 17 again...only this time weep, don't cry.
Can't you hook it up to your mdg1 with the original module and see how many hours are on that sucker?

My '12 MS 441 R C-M (no muffler mod) was doing the same thing. Out of your checklist, the only thing I tried was to alter the free air opening timing. It made the saw return to idle poorly, so I put it back. I had the selling dealer install a new carb, didn't help. I used my pwc mikuni sbn tuning experience and raised pop-off pressure by stretching the spring about a 1/4". It accelerates crisp and cleanly now.

My '12 MS 441 R C-M (no muffler mod) was doing the same thing. Out of your checklist, the only thing I tried was to alter the free air opening timing. It made the saw return to idle poorly, so I put it back. I had the selling dealer install a new carb, didn't help. I used my pwc mikuni sbn tuning experience and raised pop-off pressure by stretching the spring about a 1/4". It accelerates crisp and cleanly now.
I did the same with the free air adjustment. Though I had it then I noticed the delay to idle crap... I'll try the spring later today.

lntake boot failing under working conditions when the rear handle is lifted and the dawgs are set. Passes press/vac when not under stress on bench. Just my 2p
I thought so as well. I thought about replacing it just to try it and I never did. I did however manhandle the manifold bracket while under vacuum and pressure physically beating the snot out of the manifold with no pressure changes. Once again I'll try today again.

Hi Mark.

I have nothing to add that we ain't already discussed.

So.......I offer you this pic.

235f3f94bd77ff2c86262e737520a22e50f7ed59_m.jpg

What we discussed? All I remember you saying was that Jeremy wears tight shorts. And that may or may not be my family reunion...

Tight shorts? That's an understatement.

Jeremy had suffered from really bad headaches for the last 20 years.

He eventually decides to go and see a Doctor.

The Doctor said, 'Jeremy, the good news is I can cure your headaches. The bad news is that it will require castration. You have a very rare condition, which causes your testicles to press on your spine and the pressure creates one hell of a headache. The only way to relieve the pressure is to remove the testicles.'

Jeremy was shocked and depressed. He wondered if he had anything to live for.

He had no choice but to go under the knife. The surgery cost him $15,000.

When he left the hospital, he was without a headache for the first time in 20 years, but he felt like he was missing an important part of himself.

As he walked down the street, he realized that he felt like a different person. He could make a new beginning and live a new life.

He saw a Men's clothing store and thought, 'That's what I need... A new Suit.'

He entered the shop and told the salesman, 'I'd like a new Suit.'

The elderly Tailor eyed him briefly and said, 'Let's see... size 44 long.

Jeremy laughed, 'That's right, how did you know?'

'Been in the business 60 years!' the tailor said.

Jeremy tried on the suit it fit perfectly.

As Jeremy admired himself in the mirror, the salesman asked, 'How about a new shirt?'

Jeremy thought for a moment and then said, 'Sure.'

The salesman eyed Jeremy and said, 'Let's see, 34 sleeves and 16-1/2 neck.'

Jeremy was surprised, 'That's right, how did you know?'

'Been in the business 60 years.'

Jeremy tried the shirt and it fit perfectly.

Jeremy walked comfortably around the shop and the salesman asked, 'How about some new Underwear?'

Jeremy thought for a moment and said, 'Sure..'

The salesman said, 'Let's see..... size 36.

Jeremy laughed, 'Ah ha! I got you! I've worn a size 34 since I was 18 years old..'

The salesman shook his head, 'You can't wear a size 34. A size 34 would press your Testicles up against the base of your spine and give you one hell of a Headache.'

Latest posts

Back