so when its 99 degrees out...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

builttoughf350

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
and youre out working in the sun, taking down trees and dragging brush, sometimes you HAVE to wear jeans cause shorts dont protect your legs....

how do you keep your "franks and beans" clean and dry? i know its a dumb question to ask online, but, we've all experienced this problem, the "fromundacheese" ( the cheese from under my balls )

jokes aside, this is a hygene issue right? whats the cure, or do we have to sweat it out for 8-14 hours and wait til we get home to shower- anything you can buy at a pharmacy to powder up with and stay fresh?

ever hand someone a dollar bill out of your wallet at the end of the day, and feel guilty cause its covered in sweat from being in your back pocket?

Gold Bond in the GREEN bottle. Put it on your berries before you start working. You may need to freshen up throughout the day. But if you wait until "the uncomfortableness" has started, it will sting like a SOB. I have been doing this for years, its great.

Any talc powder is better than nothing at all, though I agree the Gold Bond stuff is the best. I also find that if you do get chafed, skin creme meant for baby rash is also helpful. If you gotta get into the back of the truck and peel off your pants in public, so be it, otherwise wear a speedo type bathing suit and just peel your pants off in public-also useful if there is a beach or pool closeby for a noon hour swim.

And yes, chain saw pants on a hot day are a b*tch, but you have to wear them here....fortunately the summer weight pair I have are quite comfy, no warmer than jeans.

Gold Bond in the GREEN bottle. Put it on your berries before you start working. You may need to freshen up throughout the day. But if you wait until "the uncomfortableness" has started, it will sting like a SOB. I have been doing this for years, its great.

+1

This could almost be in the " Tips and Tricks " thread.

What is the issue here? I don't need to expose my ballistics to anyone but my wife. A shower every night is good enough for me, besides I am pretty sure that the smell of trees and petro drown out any unpleasant body odor. Use deodorant and some powder if must, but I thought it was women who had freshness issues.

What is the issue here? I don't need to expose my ballistics to anyone but my wife. A shower every night is good enough for me, besides I am pretty sure that the smell of trees and petro drown out any unpleasant body odor. Use deodorant and some powder if must, but I thought it was women who had freshness issues.

There ya go thinkin again.

:dizzy:

I had to change several things in the way I dress and operate in the summer after I moved here. Jeans in cooler weather but after it gets in the mid 80s and up I go to lightweight, loose fitting, 100% cotton pants. I dont like to wear jeans in the summer here even if I am just sitting around, let alone working. To me its like night and day difference. Never tried them but nylon pants seems like it would be like wearing a plastic bag. Still wear the chaps when falling and they are hot but thats just part of the fun of it.:)
Used to wear a tin hat , but a white plastic one is so much cooler. World of difference. I cant wear muffs unless it is below zero so its always ear plugs.
Changing shirts every couple of hours or more helps me more than anything when its really hot. A wet shirt soon makes your lower regions wet and that is no fun.
I have used the neckerchief and the hat insert that have crystals in them and they work pretty good for cooling. Bought a vest that was the same kind of stuff and thought I would have it made,like air conditioning, but 15 min after you put it on your pants are soaking wet from dripping so it went on the shelf.
For me its hard to change speeds. I just cant go like I want to in the summer. Maybe for a short time in the morning, but then its either go home or crawl and then go a little slower. And count the days until fall.

What he said...

after it gets in the mid 80s and up I go to lightweight, loose fitting, 100% cotton pants. I dont like to wear jeans in the summer here even if I am just sitting around, let alone working.
Jeans became the American style due to marketing, not practicality...Loose light pants work best in all seasons.

Jeans became the American style due to marketing, not practicality...Loose light pants work best in all seasons.

+1, I use loose cargo pants for working in usually. Lots of pocket room, less likely to bunch up, more comfortable and less "abrasive" than jeans.

I was going to stay out of this one...but someone else included the fairer sex!

Bottom line (literally) get the sweat away from your skin, with fabrics that 'breathe' and dry quickly. Use technical fabrics where possible...that means polypropelene etc. DITCH the COTTON.
Cotton will absorb sweat fine but the fabric holds it, not allowing it to evaporate quickly, the accumulating sweat allows bacteria to breed (gold bond powder helps with the whole bacteria thing)...damp, sweaty = smelly, not to mention chafe.

Nylon, spandex, lycra, poly blend fabrics for underwear to wick away the sweat, to an outer layer that will dry quickly. Arborwear Tech pants are ideal.
If tech fabrics are not available or practical then light and loose is the next best, jeans...yuk!
The newer UK style ballistic trousers are manufactured with this whole idea in mind, they utilize fabrics that breathe, wick sweat and dry quickly.

Stay cool and comfy:)

Seriously though, I don't know what your climates are, But here and further south, "technical" clothing would not be enough. It is 95 out and 100% humidity. You are continuously sweating no matter what. Therefor, Even if you are nekkid, the moisture doesn't ever leave. Even in clothing as someone suggested, what about when you strap on a Leather and Nylon harness? I have "technical" clothing, I wear it when I am riding or racing my ATV. You stand up and instantly feel the air blowin through, but it soesn't stop the problem. Gold Bond is medicated and is designed to not harvest bacteria, unlike talcum or baby powder. Also, if you drink plain water you sweat way more than if you add some gatorade with it. I found drinking too much gatorade makes you squirt, but water makes you sweat like crazy. A good 50/50 mix of the two seems to work well.

Hope this helps

I have started wearing the under armour tights instead of boxers or breifs with this stuff called monkey butt powder. In this region there is no dry heat. We get the 90 degree days with 100% humidity. I have two pairs from my days playing basketball. I got them freshman year of high school since our damn shorts were too short. They help wick away sweat from the body and that region very well. They're a little bit warmer than your average boxers but they're not bad about like wearing the old tighty whiteys.

Agreed Treeman,
The sweat keeps coming, the idea is to get it to evaporate...as easily as possible, the new fabrics allow this, that combined with your powder reduces bacteria growth...etc.
Obviously the higher the humidity the slower sweat will evaporate...viscious circle, I just cannot see myself going back to wearing cotton clothing in the summer, remind me why we do this job in the summer???

BTW our summers are like yours 90+ and nothing less than 85% humidity. I like your obsevations on water and gatorade, I put lemon in my water, it quenches thirst better than water alone, so you drink less but aleiviate thirst, at least one gatorade during the day is a must for the electrolytes, and a cold coke at lunch gives a sugar and caffiene kick, how to stay hydrated without bursting your bladder is another thread!

Back