Soaking spark arrestor screen in Brake Cleaner?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EasyT

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
The spark arrestor screen in my MS170 is clogged. Completely clogged. I don't have a torch so I'm going to soak it in brake cleaner, Brakeleen. How long should I let it soak? An hour? A day?

Thanks

The spark arrestor screen in my MS170 is clogged. Completely clogged. I don't have a torch so I'm going to soak it in brake cleaner, Brakeleen. How long should I let it soak? An hour? A day?

Thanks
Throw it away. Not like you live in Arizona or somewhere that you could even remotely possibly start a fire.

It doesn't take some giant oxy torch setup to clean it. Just a small Mapp gas torch will do fine. I bet you could get one at the hardware store for 50 bucks.

It doesn't take some giant oxy torch setup to clean it. Just a small Mapp gas torch will do fine. I bet you could get one at the hardware store for 50 bucks.
50 bucks will buy a lot of stainless steel screen.

Propane torch setups are way less than 50 bucks.

I've just read through this (sorta "oddball") little thread -- and I can't quite keep my fingers off the keyboard. First, seriouisly to appreciate what a person might call the "practical majority" that lurks on Arborsite. Second, I suppose, to add the semi-relevant observation that BrakeKleen is rather "nasty stuff." To be used when genuinely needed (including for... wait for it ... those nasty ol' drum brakes on that pickup you've had for so long that you are amused to see your grand-daughter driving it around the place). Third to note and, I suppose, celebrate the Promethean "quest" for fire as a diverse aid to human beings.

Oh brother! I love how the simplest of repairs becomes a confusing quest.
Burn it off with a propane torch and blow it out with an air compressor or brush it off.
Be aware if you throw it away, wasps love mufflers. I sometimes think it is more important for that reason alone.

Oh brother! I love how the simplest of repairs becomes a confusing quest.
Burn it off with a propane torch and blow it out with an air compressor or brush it off.
Be aware if you throw it away, wasps love mufflers. I sometimes think it is more important for that reason alone.

That does make sense. But, depending on how they are made the pesky little devils get in there anyway.

It's amazing we survived before some busy body decided to put screens in.

Back