Soaking wet rope - any issues climbing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeanBrown3D

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Should I be aware of anything special, if the climbing rope is soaking wet? E.g., does the Blake's hitch work ok? (I'm using DRT).
Cheers,

Dean

Causes it to bind more(i use traditional taughtline)plus is slippery in yer hands other than that i live in fl and rains most every day ive had my share of wet ropes.Its wet trees that cause most probs.JMO

l2edneck said:
Causes it to bind more(i use traditional taughtline)plus is slippery in yer hands other than that i live in fl and rains most every day ive had my share of wet ropes.Its wet trees that cause most probs.JMO

It's my clothes coming back all covered in black and cray smears that cause the problems!

"your not bring thos into the house, are you?"
:laugh:

RolloriClimber said:
I kinda miss thoughs pinellas county 1/2 hour thunderstorms.
I remember growing up in Tampa seeing a full out storm on one side of the street, while the sun shined on the other side of the same street at the same time.
normally lasted 5 to 30 minutes.... daily.
try to get the neighbors job also, so you don't have to stop working while it storms. :yoyo:

Here's a situation to avoid:
I left my climbing line in a tree because I was going to return the next day to climb more. It rained overnight. I used a ladder to get to the roof, tied in, and stepped off. I pretty much fell the whole way, because my rope was soaked and all my prussic did was squeeze out the water. I got a twisted ankle.

???????

The situation to avoid would be leaving your rope in a tree overnight. You have broken one or more of the ten commandments.

Seriously though I would never leave my rope in a tree overnight. What could've happened to that rope while you were gone besides getting soaked? Leave your throwline in the tree tied off securely and take your lifeline home and then pull it back through to start work. No soaked or potentially rodent chewed (or who knows what else. Stolen?) rope in the morning.

Hahahahahaha....

squisher said:
???????

The situation to avoid would be leaving your rope in a tree overnight. You have broken one or more of the ten commandments.

Seriously though I would never leave my rope in a tree overnight. What could've happened to that rope while you were gone besides getting soaked? Leave your throwline in the tree tied off securely and take your lifeline home and then pull it back through to start work. No soaked or potentially rodent chewed (or who knows what else. Stolen?) rope in the morning.
Seems like perfect sense doesnt it squisher...:laugh:

Makes you wonder doesnt it...:mad:

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=33861&page=2

Ya I read that awesome thread right after I posted that reply. That is some impressive knowledge. Thanks for taking the time to share it.

THE ROPE IS EVERYTHING
When I was still rockclimbing I never got into aid climbing because it was so much more dangerous than free climbing. Anytime your life is dependent on gear you had better make sure that you have the best. The best you can afford and the best looked after and inspected. I don't even leave my rope or any of my climbing gear outside in a truck. It always comes inside the shop or house and is constantly inspected. My wife thinks I'm obsessed and my daughter thinks treeclimbing is cool.

Back