Socket needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozflea

Good ol' BP Zoom 25-1
Reaction score
Were would a fella get a socket to suit the bigend conrod studs to suit a big Mc eg; 125/105, engine. I would say that they are 1/4" drive ??

Mc Bob.

I think those are normally 5/16" bolts, at least on the larger engines I've done they are.

That is a freak 8 splined #10-32 cap screw.Give that guy in Maryland New York a shout.You can't replace them with a standard 10-32 socket head because there is not enough clearance on the stuffing box.I turned the heads down with a lathe on mine but perhaps a low head 10-32 would work.I was lucky and found an old Mac dealer that had one,which of course he didn't want to sell.

Let me bring this thing up,again.I don't have one of those sockets,but here is a picture of the offending bolt.I erroneously thought it to be an 8 spline bolt,but it is,in fact 6 spline.It measures .260" across the round part of the head.I'm sure these type bolts are used on something besides the Mac SP 105's and SP 125's but I really haven't seen that done,on any other application.

oldsaw-addict said:
Al, that pic is a little blurry, I cant quite make out the head of the bolt.
Well then,somebody run it through a picture editing program.I'm not worth a hoot at it. :)

Al Smith said:
Let me bring this thing up,again.I don't have one of those sockets,but here is a picture of the offending bolt.I erroneously thought it to be an 8 spline bolt,but it is,in fact 6 spline.It measures .260" across the round part of the head.I'm sure these type bolts are used on something besides the Mac SP 105's and SP 125's but I really haven't seen that done,on any other application.
Im not sure,but i think i have seen those kind of bolts already on small B & S engine ,like 3.5 hp on lawn mower.

ill let you in on my secret that i allready told ozflea.. you probly know a 1/4" socket fits but you will round off the head.. i use a 6mm socket.. you will have to tap it on with a screwdriver handle or something but be gentle.. you will scuff the bolt but you wont round it off.. and keep a small punch handy to get the bolt back out of the socket.. i use a 6pt craftsman 1/4" drive socket for this job. generics should be avoided due to bad tolerances. you want a STRONG thin walled socket. using a 1/4" socket i destroyed one of these bolts. then i found the 6mm and it has worked on my mac connecting rods ever since. shhhhh just dont let anybody know! LOL

I got a couple from a fella called nolid_2 who runs them on Ebay and are the proper tool for the job.

Look at karts or McCulloch thats where he lists them.

Mc Bob.

You can't clear the picture up if you start with a blurry shot, Al, but I think this might show just a little of the head.

attachment_24261.php

It looks as if you're just a hair out of focus. Also, the screw head isn't readily apparent because of the dark background. Simply laying the screw on a white sheet or something of that nature will improve the detail immensely.

Oh that pic was shot with my $29 web cam.I should have used my HP 945.Thanks for trying.

Thanks for the info,I also now have one coming :) The buy it now price,with shipping,is a tad less than what the thing sold for in '98.

Al, try taking a picture without that planter box in the background. It appears that the camera is fousing on it.

Good morning Al, well it is here at least.

Yes old mate these sockets should be in any decent McCulloch tool kit cause your buggered without them especially when it's time to retorque the bolts.

Did you realise that the buy it now price was for the socket only ??

Mc Bob.

Yep,sure do.The price on that thing,stock number 85583,was $10.06 in 1998.I'm happy to find one.It's a pain in the backsides to get them out,then turn the neck of a #10-32 socket head to replace them. :)

Latest posts

Back