Soft Wood... wow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
Reaction score
I don't cut soft wood. Never have, never had a reason to.

Well, we lost a small tree to some wind a few days back. I think it was a curly willow, about 8" at the base. I went to cut it up to drag it to the burn pit and was shocked at how fast the 361 fell through it. This is with the RM2 chain that I de-humped with my 4" grinder. I am used to feeling some resistance when I put the saw to the wood, but this stuff might as well have been Styrofoam.

Ian

thats how willow is...

btw, i dont suggest cutting styrofoam with chainsaw, its pain in the ass the scratch of that molten styrofoam from muffler and all that stuff under clutch cover....

blis said:
thats how willow is...

btw, i dont suggest cutting styrofoam with chainsaw, its pain in the ass the scratch of that molten styrofoam from muffler and all that stuff under clutch cover....

Stick to cutting wood and vegetables.

I've turned very thin (1/32 inch) bowls out of willow, and it dries to the same weight as balsa, I swear. Dries to a dark unattractive color, though. Nastier to cut when dry.

In terms of styrofoam, cutting a piece of small cell styrofoam (like a cup) is the best test for the edge of a hand chisel or plane. Needs to be scary sharp to make a clean shaving from the stuff.

Last edited:
B_Turner said:
Stick to cutting wood and vegetables.

I've turned very thin bowls out of willow, and it dries to the same weight as balsa, I swear. Dries to a dark unattractive color, though. Nastier to cut when dry.

In terms of styrofoam, cutting a piece of small cell styrofoam (like a cup) is the best test for the edge of a hand chisel or plane. Needs to be scary sharp to make a clean shaving from the stuff.

Same goes for a knife blade.

Need a new thread

"Things I have cut up with a chainsaw"

complete with pros and cons of each material and reasons why a chainsaw was chosen

Latest posts

Back