Solo 654 carb prob

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSS

Cowshot
Reaction score
Got this 654 for cheap. Full of stale gas, cleaned it out, took carb apart and cleaned it, blew it out etc, got the thing running.{sort of} The problem is it runs like crap, sometimes it idles,sometimes it wont. Sometimes it revs good, sometimes it just bogs. Biggest thing is that its blowing mix back out of the carb into the air filter. Quite a bit of gas,actually. I had the carb apart twice and can't see that I'm doing anything wrong in there.....what would be the problem with this thing??? Seems like it might not be a bad saw if I could fix it.

How old's the saw? Any idea how long the old fuel was in there? Were the old diaphragms hardened and the fuel lines gummy? Did you install a carb kit?

Gas out the carb throat points to leaky inlet valve.... Or reeds (if this is a reed valve engine, I dunno)...

Did you service the main nozzle check valve? Had one recently that behaved similarly, erratic WOT mixture, often sick rich on coming off wot to idle, starve on acceleration... Check valve was shot... Check it with a piece of (clean) fuel line - press the fuel line onto the exposed main nozzle... SHould be able to blow easily, but suck should slam'er shut.... Any leakage on suck = dead check valve.

Some stuff to ponder...

J

How old's the saw? Any idea how long the old fuel was in there? Were the old diaphragms hardened and the fuel lines gummy? Did you install a carb kit?

Gas out the carb throat points to leaky inlet valve.... Or reeds (if this is a reed valve engine, I dunno)...

Did you service the main nozzle check valve? Had one recently that behaved similarly, erratic WOT mixture, often sick rich on coming off wot to idle, starve on acceleration... Check valve was shot... Check it with a piece of (clean) fuel line - press the fuel line onto the exposed main nozzle... SHould be able to blow easily, but suck should slam'er shut.... Any leakage on suck = dead check valve.

Some stuff to ponder...

J
Saws maybe 20 years old or a little better. Gas was in maybe a year? Fuel lines were ok, and I did not do a carb kit yet, just took it apart and soaked it, everything looked good,diaphrams etc. Dont think its a reed engine, have to take the carb off and look at the check valve I guess, probably order a kit also.

If the carb bolts to the side of the cylinder, no reeds. If it bolts to the crankcase, reeds. Probably none.

Start with the carb kit. Might just be leaking inlet or over-stiff metering diaphragm. They don't have to get very stiff to stop functioning.

If that doesn't do it, time to dig deeper.

Also, before going too far, pop the muffler off, and the plug out and inspect the cylinder bore with a flashlight. Should be mirrory goodness. Much scoring and.... Well you know.

J

Had the muffler off ,looks like brand new.:biggrinbounce2: Guy I bought it from said he just used it to trim branches, that story. Couldn't have been used much according to condition. Guess i'll get a carb kit.....it's all good:hmm3grin2orange:

mountainlake, you may be right, but that's not been my experience.

I've bought or acquired 8 or 9 diaphragm carb'd engines (saws, pumps, trimmers etc.) at flea markets over the last 3 years.... And every one needed a kit.

'Course, none were built later than 1980, and probably they'd been in a shed for 10 years full of old gas...

Maybe our fuel is different 'round here? I dunno.

I tend to flex and bend the metering diaphragm.... If it's not supple like inner tube rubber, I just kit'em and save myself another disassembly... $15 is worth my hour...

J

mountainlake, you may be right, but that's not been my experience.

I've bought or acquired 8 or 9 diaphragm carb'd engines (saws, pumps, trimmers etc.) at flea markets over the last 3 years.... And every one needed a kit.

'Course, none were built later than 1980, and probably they'd been in a shed for 10 years full of old gas...

Maybe our fuel is different 'round here? I dunno.

I tend to flex and bend the metering diaphragm.... If it's not supple like inner tube rubber, I just kit'em and save myself another disassembly... $15 is worth my hour...

J

I guess being that old might call for a kit, around 1980 is the last time I bought a kit. I've had to clean a couple of them more than once to get them to work

Steve

Last edited:
I have the exact same saw. Bought it as "needs a carb rebuild" It needed MUCH more. Of course it wasn't as pristine as yours. I would highly recommend a pressure/vac test on your saw

These saws are prone to vacuum leaks, especially around the intake/carb insulator.

When I pressure tested mine, it leaked around the seals, transfer covers, and intake. Pretty much anywhere it could.

If you need parts for any reason, Solo still offers parts if you call their USA HQ. They were also sold as the Homelite 340 and in 47cc versions as the Solo 647 and Homelite 290

Last edited:
Problem solved. I was going to order a carb kit this morning, but thought I would put it back together and try it one last time first. Three pulls and VROOM. Must have been a wad of schnit somewhere that went away. Runs great,idles, revs, starts good...perfect. As was mentioned ,think I'll try a vac test just to be safe. Thanks for the help guys.:givebeer:

Any more idea's on the 654's? I have one that is acting the same exact way. Had it sold on eBay then the buyer backed out, good thing too I would have felt bad sending him a saw that runs this erratic...

I liked that saw but it never seemed to run right for long so I traded it for a poulan. The ignitions are not very good.

This one is blowing lots of gas out and still running erratic. Put a carb kit in, pulled the carb intake/isolator and resealed it up good. Was going to pull the jug and reseal it, but it doesn't come off like a normal saw and didn't feel like tearing the whole saw apart to do it.

I have two and this one has a intake port about half the size of the other one, was there two different models?

This one is blowing lots of gas out and still running erratic. Put a carb kit in, pulled the carb intake/isolator and resealed it up good. Was going to pull the jug and reseal it, but it doesn't come off like a normal saw and didn't feel like tearing the whole saw apart to do it.

I have two and this one has a intake port about half the size of the other one, was there two different models?

Sounds like the one I had. I always found everything I tried to do to that saw was a pain in the arse. I just got tired messing with it.

I have no idea about the intake, sorry.:cheers:

Back