solo 656

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leed3349

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i just picked one up its in real good shape what do you guys think of this model

It never became a popular model, so I don't think too many have any real experience with it. Looks good "on paper" (specs), but Solo has a bad reputation for "optimistic" specs.....

I have no idea what sawtroll is talking about. The 656 is quite popular in german threads. Those who have it have described it as noticible more powerful than the Dolmar 5000. But just try it out and give us a feedback.

well i tried it out had to tune it this thing rips for the size its not light but not heavy its feels like my husky 359 and its very well made

I have no idea what sawtroll is talking about. The 656 is quite popular in german threads. Those who have it have described it as noticible more powerful than the Dolmar 5000. But just try it out and give us a feedback.

That may be, but it hasn't happened in the US. I haven't been much on German forums for some years......

i just picked one up its in real good shape what do you guys think of this model
haven't herd much about them ,like to see some pics tho!!!!!!! I've got a Solo super Rex coming down in the new year ...:cool2:

the 656 feels and balances like a husky 353 except with better a.v.. feels about the same weight aswell. it will absolutly put a stomping on the husky 346. all day long. even if the 346 is mm'd. it's realy too bad the dealer network didn't catch. the 651 and 656 are damn good saws.
if you can find one for a good price, snatch it.

I went from an older McColluch timber bear that I wore out to a Solo 656. I spent a hell of a lot more time cutting and a lot less time wrenching with the 656 that's for sure. It's been a learning experience for me with the 656 though. I have made some mistakes that have cost me some money but the important part was I was able to repair the 656 with positive results.
I highly suggest keeping an eye on the spark arrestor screen on the silencer. This became carboned up on my saw and made it run like crap. Thinking I knew it all I kept adjusting the carb to make it run right and wound up running it too lean. That was a costly mistake.
With proper maintenance and cleaning though I love this saw. Starts easy. Idles without fouling out. Has good power. Even though I've had to do some major repairs, which were my own fault, I look forward to many years of service with this saw.

Back