solo/dolmar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luke_w

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
i am a die hard stihl guy but.............ive been looking at all these dolmar and solo saws and they got me achng to try them...i was wondering which model of these two brands would match up best with a stihl 044....and if you guys had any pros or cons with solo or dolmar compared to the classic 044....besides the heated handles..thanks

Last edited:
Generally in the pro lines from Dolmar the only two considered worth buying are the 5100/5105 or the 7900. In the Solo line (I'm not sure what is available in the US but here in the central european german speaking threads) the 656 and the 681 are considered the buy. They are in their size class the max cc&hp engines with approximately same weight as all smaller cc models.
Similar like the Sthil 290/310/390 line of saws. All the same size but different cc&hp.
I would definately go for either the Dolmar 7900 or Solo 681 if you have the $$. At about the same weight of a 440 you get 9-10cc & 1hp more!
You can always search for a Dolmar 6400 used from a rental place and upgrade to a 7900 with simply a p&c swap. If money is a rare.

Solo saws are no longer available in the US. Gotta love the EPA.

If you're itching for a 681 thee's prolly a few left out there brand new but not many at all. I'm sure there are some used ones around though.

I myself like the 681 a little more than the 7900. But it's a minor preference thing like those who may choose liking the 372 over the 2171 and vise versa.

The 7900 is a bad ass saw though. I have a 681 and a 7900 and they're both a real pleasure to run. You can't go wrong with either. Your best bet (if you want one new) is to go with a 79'er be it that they're still available.

A 681/7900 will spank an 044/440 in the power department by the way. ;) :D

I prefer the 044 for overall handling vs the 6400-7900 Domar but the Dolmar is nicer in many ways. I used a Makita 6401,same as the 6400 quite a bit. It was very smooth,powerful for its displacement,started excellant cold or hot (but so does my 044) , handled to me very well for bucking, but not as comfortable to swing around as my 044. I believe the 7300 is near the displacement as the 044 but weighs the same as the 7900 or 6400. I don't think any of them would dis appoint you if you don't expect them to do things a lot better but they do exceed some in some area's such as vibration and the air filters don't seem to need as much service.

2010 Bailey's catalog lists the 694 for $880, supposedly first come first serve though as they are being closed out.

I would go for the 7900 because it has the HD filter option.

Yes, but the added cost of the aftermarket set up negates any cost savings that the Dolmar has over a comparable Stihl or Husqvarna. The 681 has much better air filtration at no extra cost. Future parts availability may be an issue though....

Yes, but the added cost of the aftermarket set up negates any cost savings that the Dolmar has over a comparable Stihl or Husqvarna. The 681 has much better air filtration at no extra cost. Future parts availability may be an issue though....

Yes, but the 7900 does have the option,the 681 does not...and i wouldn't say it filters that much better than the 7900 stock filter.

If you try out a Dolmar 7900 you will be wanting to buy one and sell that 044.

At least thats what I did, I got a 7900 to run against my 460.

A 7900 now sits in my barn.

The replacement air filter from solo is almost $44. So you can buy 3 standard dolmar 7900 filters for the price of one solo filter. I have a couple of the 681 filters in stock but I didn't realize the price till I got them.

So a Replacement solo 681 filter is about $44
The stock dolmar 7900 filter is about $14
The HD Filter kit for the 7900 sells for $70
The replacement HD Filter is about $24 with the wrap

Steve

Most parts for the 681 are much more than the 7900. An example is the gas tank / rear handle. Dolmar is 1/2 the price of the solo one $88 vs $176.

Steve

Latest posts

Back