Some designs that could be better

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old2stroke

Never too many toys
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Here are a few items that have annoyed me, I'm sure some of you can add more.
CLUTCHES: You should not have to remove a clutch to change a sprocket. I like the Stihl design with the clutch drum on the outside, held on with a simple E-clip. Of course it would be difficult to have the oil pump driven by the clutch drum with this layout, has anyone been able to do this? If the clutch has to be removed to change the sprocket, it would be nice to at least have it mounted on the crankshaft with splines like Pioneer did. Just a simple easy to remove nut to get the whole thing apart. Some of the screw-on clutches can be a real PIA to get off.
STIHL FLIPPY CAPS: Enough has been said about this exercise in unnecessary complexity so I just want to badmouth them about the stupid string and ball tether that holds the cap to the saw. When I drain a fuel tank, I want to get the cap off the saw to make it easier to drain without splashing fuel all over and this tether makes an easy job harder. Might be me just being too picky.
RUBBER CARB BOOTS: This is the rubber boot that connects the carb to the cylinder on some saws. I know these items aren't something that has to replaced very often, but I swear you have to practically dismantle some of the saws to replace them.
IGNITION/CHOKE LEVER: Remember the old saws that had an ignition switch, a choke lever that would let you run part choke if necessary, and a button on the handle to hold the throttle partly open? The manufacturers have gone too far in their efforts to make things simple. So many owners don't read their manuals and without the throttle button, they don't understand how to achieve the "partially open throttle without choke" function on modern saws. Stihl has gone even further with their one control lever, it has to be the only saw on the face of the earth that requires you to hold the throttle open before you can move the lever to full choke. Put that saw in the hands of some ham-fisted operator who isn't familiar with Stihl and you know what he's going to break when he tries to force the choke on.
CRIMPED MUFFLERS: Many saws now have mufflers that are crimped together and if you take them apart, you need a tig welder to put them back together. Is this an effort to stop us from modifying them or is it just cheaper to build them this way? I would really like to see what's inside a muffler before I start making changes.

the one on the top near the carb. there is no room to get the plug into the back of the buffer by the fins. open to suggestions. i helped my stihl guy take the one i got off a straight gassed saw and we had to take the motor bolts loose to get it apart.

Crowbar comes to mind. [emoji848]

Here are a few items that have annoyed me, I'm sure some of you can add more.
CLUTCHES: You should not have to remove a clutch to change a sprocket. I like the Stihl design with the clutch drum on the outside, held on with a simple E-clip. Of course it would be difficult to have the oil pump driven by the clutch drum with this layout, has anyone been able to do this? If the clutch has to be removed to change the sprocket, it would be nice to at least have it mounted on the crankshaft with splines like Pioneer did. Just a simple easy to remove nut to get the whole thing apart. Some of the screw-on clutches can be a real PIA to get off.
STIHL FLIPPY CAPS: Enough has been said about this exercise in unnecessary complexity so I just want to badmouth them about the stupid string and ball tether that holds the cap to the saw. When I drain a fuel tank, I want to get the cap off the saw to make it easier to drain without splashing fuel all over and this tether makes an easy job harder. Might be me just being too picky.
RUBBER CARB BOOTS: This is the rubber boot that connects the carb to the cylinder on some saws. I know these items aren't something that has to replaced very often, but I swear you have to practically dismantle some of the saws to replace them.
IGNITION/CHOKE LEVER: Remember the old saws that had an ignition switch, a choke lever that would let you run part choke if necessary, and a button on the handle to hold the throttle partly open? The manufacturers have gone too far in their efforts to make things simple. So many owners don't read their manuals and without the throttle button, they don't understand how to achieve the "partially open throttle without choke" function on modern saws. Stihl has gone even further with their one control lever, it has to be the only saw on the face of the earth that requires you to hold the throttle open before you can move the lever to full choke. Put that saw in the hands of some ham-fisted operator who isn't familiar with Stihl and you know what he's going to break when he tries to force the choke on.
CRIMPED MUFFLERS: Many saws now have mufflers that are crimped together and if you take them apart, you need a tig welder to put them back together. Is this an effort to stop us from modifying them or is it just cheaper to build them this way? I would really like to see what's inside a muffler before I start making changes.
Saw the newest Stihl’s and no Flipy caps

Maybe its easiest to think in terms of what features you would like?
- Tooless cover removal.
- Be able to take the top cover off without having to disconnect the plug wire.
- Two piece muffler.
- Side chain adjuster.
- One fastener to remove air filter.
- Inboard clutch.
- Oil and fuel caps that have both hand and scrench removal.
- Adjustable oiler.
- Good chip clearance.
- Owner adjustable carb.

372xp was a good design, largely copied by dolmar with the 7900. but with better ergonomics.

An air filter on a chainsaw should be very easy to access. Why the need for a screwdriver to remove the air filter cover?

Some saws you only need a finger or two, to remove the air filter cover. Other saws, you need a good-sized screwdriver and you have to push down hard on it to disengage the screws. :dizzy:

It should only take a couple of seconds to access that filter.

inboard clutches can transfer a lot of heat to the case, but since we are talking little firewood saws, I guess that doesn't matter.
Chiming in.. Make it a 6 month jail sentence for designing any rev-limiters, or any facsimile to that effect.

Back