Some milling piccys...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCW

Somebody's talking crap here & it ain't the tree!
Reaction score
Hi Gents
I tend to hang out in the chainsaw section but thought I'd start bumming around here a bit too :cheers:
I've had a double ender GB mill for a while now but have hardly used it. I have a Husky 3120 to run it but that generally only sees use with the occasional large tree felling. In reality it's a boat anchor and the best place for it is on a mill! I have a variety of other pro saws so really have no need to run the 3120 on anything other than the mill apart from the odd monster tree. I have a couple of sets of rails made up for it to suit either a Husky (Oregon) 42" bar or GB Ti 60" roller nose bar. I run 3/8" on both for milling.

Anyway I got chatting to a local woodturner who wanted me to mill up some Redgum, White Cyprus, and some Red Cyprus for him. I drove the 50 odd miles and when I arrived realised he'd completely underestimated the size of the Redgum log and the 42" setup I had would be nowhere near enough (actual cut around 36"). I'll have to head back with the 60" fitted at a later date. The log is exactly 42" at it's widest point tapering off to 32". It's around 15' long.
Anyway, bolted the rails on and away I went. I was running Carlton semi chisel 3/8" ground to 30° and with every second set of cutters removed. It cut well on softwood like this and with the 3120's "oil boost" on there was no need at all to run the auxillary oiler. Both myself and the farmer/woodturner were very impressed. I think he may become painful asking me to mill about another 140 logs - I'd rather mill my own timber (where I have access to numerous good quality logs) and earn money for myself, not others...
Anyway, have added some photos below. I really enjoyed it so you'll be sure to see me hanging out here more often. Once you start milling everything is a tabletop!!!

Apologies about one of the photos where a fly made an appearance on the lens :(

10102010448.jpg

10102010449.jpg

10102010450.jpg

10102010451.jpg

By the way, I'm still not even sure that I've got the mill assembled properly. It came direct from GB when they were going through the ringer and had no instructions. I'd paid for the mill, they said I'd get it, then it took months to be delivered (I'm sure Bob wil remember my dramas with them). If anybody sees anything assembled or setup wrong please let me know. There are a few bits left in the box that I have no idea how to fit :)

Last edited:
(I'm sure Bob wil remember my dramas with them). If anybody sees anything assembled or setup wrong please let me know. There are a few bits left in the box that I have no idea how to fit :)

Yeah I remember, but hey - it seems to be milling just fine so I wouldn't worry about it.

Anyway - good to see you posting here with your set up and nice looking wood to boot.

Good one Matt,i am allso about to enter the new world of milling (got a 36'' Granberg mill and mini mill) but going to start on some nice soft pine untill i work it out.
The scrub in the back ground brings back a few memorys of around your area.

Yeah I remember, but hey - it seems to be milling just fine so I wouldn't worry about it.

Anyway - good to see you posting here with your set up and nice looking wood to boot.

Thanks Bob. The finish off the saw was excellent so I think I may have caught the bug...

Uh oh...

Good one Matt,i am allso about to enter the new world of milling (got a 36'' Granberg mill and mini mill) but going to start on some nice soft pine untill i work it out.
The scrub in the back ground brings back a few memorys of around your area.

Good stuff Andrew :cheers: The gear I milled on the weekend was pretty soft and like you I thought that would be the best place to start.
Yeah the good old Mallee Scrub. I love it - hot, dry, hardly anything lives in it, but I grew up in it so love it :) Not a good place for milling in Summer though :(

nice pictures. looks like hes got quite a few logs needing milling. looks like you made a "friend" forever.lol

whats the square plate on top of the mill on the saw side?

nice pictures. looks like hes got quite a few logs needing milling. looks like you made a "friend" forever.lol

whats the square plate on top of the mill on the saw side?

Hi mate.

Yeah he's got a few logs floating around to carve up! The plate you see on the mill end is where the auxillary oiler tank attaches. This is a double ended mill so actually designed to run two powerheads. The double ended kits come with a few extra goodies such as this oil tank but in reality it's just a plastic tank with a hose and tap!

I like your aluminum guide rail.

Thanks mtn :cheers:
A mate of mine owns an aluminium shop. I dropped a heap of trees for him and we did a deal :)
I'm actually getting him to make an extension for it so I can bolt two sets of rails together for longer logs.

,just 2 things,the handle being the most important<Plastic crapp:chainsaw:>
attachment.php

Thanks for the advice mate. The handle had already made the "to be replaced" list as the flex is pretty bad. I ended up just holding the main bar - I also found it more comfortable too.

Latest posts

Back