Some more and better Redgum pic's as promised

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matildasmate

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Here is some better pic's , of some more of my Redgum , that I just slabbed up . Large slab's are about 3" thick and some of the smaller one's too , small slab's mainly around 1 1/2" - 2" thick . I am hopeing the large 3" thick slab's wont warp to much , if I put enough wait on top of them . Cheer's MM

The natural color of that stuff is awesome. Do you get lots of it where your at? Have you used it for projects and what kinds of finish do you use?? Looks like your having fun keep it up!! Take care irishcountry

I just re-read your post on red gum shorts you mentioned self leveling epoxy. I always wondered how that stuff would hold up over time and how hard it does get when its cured. I have used catalyzed conversion varnish on a electric guitar I built it was pretty easy to spray and it brought the flame maple alive not sure how it would be on a table though (water rings ect.) take care

The natural color of that stuff is awesome. Do you get lots of it where your at? Have you used it for projects and what kinds of finish do you use?? Looks like your having fun keep it up!! Take care irishcountry
Within roughly 12 mile of my place it is Redgum country for a couple of hundred mile's , getting access to is another story , only way I can get any now is off the side of the road , if I am fast enough before anyone else cut's it up for firewood , it's worth about $120au - $130au a ton in the country and about double that in the city . Make's great fire wood .

. . . Have you used it for projects and what kinds of finish do you use??

Aussie red gum is wonderful stuff. Here is a picture of how I use it in small projects. Almost all of the wood for these projects comes from pieces off my (waste) or firewood pile and all of the things marked with blue dots are red gum.

attachment.php

Red Gum checks easily and I generally fill it with casting epoxy resin. Almost every projects in the picture has some resin in it somewhere. The resin sets almost rock hard and does not mark with water etc

Last edited:
Hey nice looking projects BobL and again great job on that guitar!! You guys are lucky to have the "unusual" hardwoods nice looking stuff. thanks for the pics.

MM,
Beautifull wood. Reminds me of some african paduck a customer had & wanted a humidor built. I re-sawed the stuff on a small band mill in my garage....the sawdust stained everything when mixed with water(sweat), what a mess. But i have to say, i inset a slab of Fender Guitar Co. birdseye maple on the top & framed with that paduck & it was stunning. It was a 200 cigar humidor, and it was one of those deals that i way way under bid, but i was dang proud of it.
RD

Hey nice looking projects BobL and again great job on that guitar!! You guys are lucky to have the "unusual" hardwoods nice looking stuff. thanks for the pics.
Thanks IC. At a woodworkers gathering in Melbourne last month we were discussing where in the world is best to live in terms of access to unusual timber. We all agreed Australia was hard to beat. Our native timbers remind me of beautiful but naughty children - good to look at even if they are difficult to work with!

MM,
Beautifull wood. Reminds me of some african paduck a customer had & wanted a humidor built. I re-sawed the stuff on a small band mill in my garage....the sawdust stained everything when mixed with water(sweat), what a mess. But i have to say, i inset a slab of Fender Guitar Co. birdseye maple on the top & framed with that paduck & it was stunning. It was a 200 cigar humidor, and it was one of those deals that i way way under bid, but i was dang proud of it.
RD

Love to see a pic if you have one?

Last edited:
Sorry BobL, it was during the cigar craze in the late 80's early 90's. I didn't take one single pic of it, nor of the 75 or so other humidors i made back then. Most were either oak or maple. Never have worked with paduck since. Funny thing, i ended up with one for myself, and it started out as a mistake(operator error), set it aside and then fixed/finished it a year or so later. That one in maple is in our house in Manitoba. In 2006 i did came across one in a antique store, they had it listed for more than i sold it originally, so i guess i did something right:laugh:
RD

Latest posts

Back