Some pictures from Norway

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds close enough, that's a lot of firewood - but spruce and pine?????

That's what is here. About 50% of that, and the rest of leafed trees. I could make 4-5 times more, according to the growth, but large parts of the property is more or less difficult to reach without building roads. I take what is close to roads or in reach of the tractor winch (50 meters).

Sounds about like here, except we have mainly birch + some planted spruce that doesn't do too well, really - some agressive thinning is long overdue......

...what has been holding us back, is that we don't like spruce as firewood, and birch is much nicer to handle.....

:bang: :bang: :cheers: :cheers:

Last edited:
Yes, I agree on the birch, its what I prefer too. But selling spruce as energy timber is very bad business at the moment. I prefer feeling it warm in my farm house rather than using expensive electricity for heating. No gas here! Then I sell most of the birch, and buy more saws from Ebay! Or a new Valmet tractor soon!

Sounds about like here, except we have mainly birch + some planted spruce that doesn't do too well, really - some agressive thinning is long overdue......

...what has been holding us back, is that we don't like spruce as firewood, and birch is much nicer to handle.....

:bang: :bang: :cheers: :cheers:

second that, spruce is nasty when burned on open fire since it crackless and spits sap...

Hydraulic cutter / splitter

This is a hydraulic wood processor made in the mid-80 from the norwegian company Moelven. Cylinder pressure is about 23 tonnes for a 190 bar pressure. Works well in softer wood up to 30 cm / 12" diameter.

This is a hydraulic wood processor made in the mid-80 from the norwegian company Moelven. Cylinder pressure is about 23 tonnes for a 190 bar pressure. Works well in softer wood up to 30 cm / 12" diameter.

Don't you like splitting with an axe, Fiskars 2400 works really well, and it is fun and free exersize.......:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

We have had a "Gråtass" with a hydraulic splitter until last year, but it wasn't used much (by me, that is)......:cheers:

...didn't use the buzzsaw we had for it either, chainsaw is much more convenient and fun (also faster, all things considered).

Last edited:
I also use the axe, but not as the main splitting tool. Too much firewood is processed here. Also some of the firewood to be split is half dry, and not easy to split.

Last week I had a Porsch vertical splitter on test, pictures will be posted later.

When I have difficult wood-pieces, I saw partially into them from the side, with a inboard clutch saw with a comparatively long bar (usually 361 with 18" on 12" pieces) - makes it a breeze to split them with the axe afterwards...:clap: :clap:

The 372xp is not quite as good as the MS361 for this, as it has a more "busy" area under the clutch cover.

Last edited:
The Husq. 455 is being sold this weekend, so please do not tempt me with a Stihl 361...... I guess this saw would suit me well, making a perfect felling saw for spruce and pine.

Yes, I know using a chainsaw to partially split, makes splitting much easier.

The Porsh vertical splitter (12 tonnes) was impressive, taking a lot of LARGE birch last weekend. PTO and separate oil system at 235 bar. Not a single piece was left unsplit. The largest pieces were 26" in diameter. This is large wood for Norway for sure.

Yes, that is large, at least up here.

The largest one I have cut here was pretty close to that at the stump, but 24" x 20" at DBH. What puzzled me, was that the was no core rot, as the tree obviously was very old, for a birch - the year-rings vere very close to each other, and it was really hard wood, for a birch.....:biggrinbounce2:

The nabour here at the cottege cut one that was about 36" at the stump a few years ago, but that one devided into 3 logs, at about DBH height.

Latest posts

Back