some saws I found this week

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

struggle

Got stumps?
Reaction score
While I keep my eyes open for stuff I really haven't actively chased anything down, but at tree job last week I asked a neighbor to move his truck so if things went bad at least I would only be paying for a power line to be put back up and not replacing a truck as well:msp_scared:

After the tree job was done I notice the guy out in his backyard and he has quite a few lawnmowers sitting around:confused2: so asked him if he worked on saws and specifically if he had any laying around that he wanted to get rid of. He said gosh to bad you didn't catch me three weeks ago I took around ten or more old ones to the dump:buttkick: But he said he had some. He fixes small engines but I'm not so sure he does much with saws but he gets them from time to time.

This is what I came home with for a fair price of trade of a LP tube heater I had no need for and a little amount of cash mainly for the 290.

This is what I know so far. The MS 290 missing air-cleaner and filter plus adjustment screws plug. Has mint P/C but starts and dies won't rev? I looked at carb and it looks good but doesn't want to transition to high speed and or has leak in pulse line or something. It will idle though. Guy thought it had a coil issue but every time it dies it will start right back up on choke. I will put my 029 carb on it maybe tomorrow and see what happens. 150 PSI compression

032 missing air-cleaner,spark plug and aircleaner cover..........not looked at it
Timber bear no idea the guy gave it to me. Chain rusted to bar. Saw is complete and pulls over but seems rough.
Stihl 017 complete and feels ok on pull start no idea beyond that.
The one I have been wanting to have to see how they run is the Poulan 3400. Pulled muffler and piston looks good, pull rope and handle MIA. No nothing beyond that.

He mentioned a roll of chain oh really:wink2: This is what he found. The chain is crusty from sitting in a barn and really doesn't look to be anything to special but as I understand it 1/4 not so easy to find and the other is 3/8 but must be low pro or something as the cutters are quite small compared to regular 3/8 chain I have. No presets straps or anything else.

Also in the mix was a 20 or 18" stihl bar I am asuming from the 032 and one vanguard chain.

I hope the 017 can be saved as I would like my 11 year old son and I to go through this one and he then can have it as his first saw since it has a chain brake. I have some super E-Zs I was going to let him have but feel this would be a safer option under supervision of course and proper handling.

Pictures are not great from phone.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Nice little pile there. BTW, I just scored a nice roll of .325. Of course, nothing that I own runs it. I might trade it to someone who just happened to have some 3/8 lo pro, as I use that on climbing saws and pole pruner........hint hint

Good work sir. I love those 3400's - I hope you will too.
You will also like the 032, old technology but surprisingly good goers. They have a great reputation here in Oz because for the past 30 years they have served farmers and fire wood gatherers well, cutting the hardest red gum and box wood with an ease out of all proportion to their size. If the rear AV bumpers are shot (as they often are) I have an easy fix - just shoot me a pm.

Al.

man, that's great for only half the potential score!

I can't believe in this day and age with the internet and so on, with the market out there and demand for just about any part, people still scrap saws. Even if not ever going to run, the parts are always worth having to resell, rebuild another or swap around.

Back