some splitter pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawjo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Here are a few shots from a build last year. Started with a rolling Mighty Merk splitter from a yard sale for $125. I rebulit cylinder and installed a 16gpm pump, new prince valve, Honda 9HP and a 15 gallon tank. I did all the work myself and added a brake light for towing. Total investment of $1000. This is a heavy duty splitter that really chunks the wood. I think a much better investment than the Lowes/HD stuff. I have since scrubbed the fitting to the pump and installed a little longer hose straight into the pump.

Nice job. I like the height of the wedge and that the guts are back away from the business end( out of harms way from fliers). Maybe a couple of bolts through the pusher plate to stop the rounds from squirreling around? Are you going to add a table around the wedge? ( maybe one that folds down or up for transport considering the distance to the hitch coupler)

Was there some thing wrong with the tank in the axle , or did you just want more capacity. I like the one brake light people will wonder what the heck is being towed at night, viewed from back. Does that splitter bounce when towed down the road.

Beefie

Was there some thing wrong with the tank in the axle , or did you just want more capacity. I like the one brake light people will wonder what the heck is being towed at night, viewed from back. Does that splitter bounce when towed down the road.

Beefie

I thought the tank was too small for the pump capacity. I used it at first but in the warmer months it would fry you if you touched it. I only tow it locally to friends etc. It tows nice and smooth, not too much bounce, I only go 40 mph max.

NICE JOB..SawJo.. Looks Strong and the materials are top notch,,,Go Splitting Dude..! :chainsawguy:

excellent work!

everything looks thought out perfect.

hydro tanks/axles suck!

Wouldn't it be better if the engine heat and exhaust were blowing the other way.....away from the operator?[/QUOTE]

Unless it's really cold:biggrinbounce2: Nice work.

Good looking work!

Wouldn't it be better if the engine heat and exhaust were blowing the other way.....away from the operator?

The operator position is on the tank side. The exhaust blows 180 degrees away from me!

Back