Some vintage muscle saws in action!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What constitutes a "muscle saw" for these old soldiers? I have a Mac super 44A, and I saw the shop talk fellow call it an early muscle saw...

Can someone clarify what makes a saw a "muscle saw"?

Is there a trick to getting these vids to run? I tried both , but neither will play.

If his photobucket account is "public" you can cut n paste his name in the search there and it'll come up then you can view from there.

Thanks oldtimer,

I went to youtube and downloaded flashplayer 10. It works now.

A true muscle saw in my book would be the big old made in the USA saws. (Canada too)

According to our recent muscle thread's, and talk's Oldtimer, a muscle saw is around six cubic inche's, and or bigger.

What constitutes a "muscle saw" for these old soldiers? I have a Mac super 44A, and I saw the shop talk fellow call it an early muscle saw...

Can someone clarify what makes a saw a "muscle saw"?

Not an expert on saws, but the word "Muscle car" sure has been bastertized in the auto world.

Yes I just got the Echo from Wildman, and haven't played with the carb yet. The 550 was really rich when I got it too, but I have it running really nice now.

It is funny seeing Echo's sideways carb design. I'll get it tuned up correctly.

BTW Wildman that is quite an arsenal you are putting together.

That 101b came from BC Canada. Really nice running motor.

It sounds like the Pioneer is running a little lean coming out of the cut. My guess is you have an oil seal on one side (or both) that's getting tired. What's the compression like? The rings may be getting tired as well.

It sounds like the Pioneer is running a little lean coming out of the cut. My guess is you have an oil seal on one side (or both) that's getting tired. What's the compression like? The rings may be getting tired as well.

The compression is low on this saw. I know it is, because it is far too easy to start without the compression release. Probably just needs rings. the piston looks pretty good through the exhaust hole.

It sure runs great though. Starts right up, and has a comfortable feel to it.

No unfortunately the gas has 10% Ethanol in it. When stored these saws need to be drained.

Ugh. Here in the P.R.C. we're in the same boat. I would spend the bucks on non-eth fuel for that Kart saw though. SEF94 and 40-Fuel are pricey.....but how much do you run that saw? Can you get avgas (100LL) localy? The ethanol thing is a tired topic here. Sorry folks. Now go put a good chain on that 750!:D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back