Someone started cutting a tree down for us and hasn't finished the job

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I'm glad things worked out.
The guy needn't ever dog a saw into a tree again, unless it's his own.. He told KitKat that the tree was hollow, nope. Looked fairly healthy actually. I'm on my phone, so the pics are small, but what was holding that thing up? The stump looks smooth. Definitely a healthy ash if it was hanging on by just a few whiskers, which apparently was the case. He's lucky it didn't sit back & bust a corner off when he was busy snapping ropes! I could've whacked it on over in a few moments. There was definitely enough real estate to have gotten a ram in it & the limby nature nimimalizes any concerns of it coming apart when lifting. Ash is an enjoyable tree to cut. I tipped some beauties years ago on a strip bordering Virginia's Natural Bridge. The creek that cut that formation was one of the boundaries. Along with the Ash there were some chunky pines & poplars in that strip. Very respectable wood for east coast stuff. Probably never get to cut another strip as "famous" as that one in my lifetime.

We can analyze the pictures and armchair quarterback these pictures all day long... at the end of the day...

IF YOU START A JOB, YOU FINISH IT. END OF STORY. IF YOU GET IN OVER YOUR HEAD, EAT SOME CROW!

I'm not going to beat this guy up over skill o techniques, but plain old just ethics, and yes, PDQL, help me fix this popup ad problem, I can't seem to post anything without these pop-up ads jumping in.

I'd collect all the left behind rigging then call the business owner the guy works for inviting him out for a chat. Explain what happened then offer the tools back if they are his businesses...you never know if they guy unknowingly took them. You can get a feel of the guys position from the business owner then proceed at your own decisions about restitution or civil charges.

Looks like he has a 7 1/2 k&k & a 5 k&h, if in am not mistaken on the length . He has the best taste in brands. Wrong set up. I use those for holding gates open or may palm one to finnish off the last handful of blocks in residential tree. I'll- prepare and a lack of experience. Alternating 3 or 4 K&K 10 wedges with my little pink axe is what lifts the big boys.

@056kid above
How tricks man?
I clearly quoted you?
Anyhow
I'm doing well. Tying to keep the wheels on the ground. (It can be a problem)
Yes K&H is the one for me as well. I like 2 10s & a 12. Don't know why anyone would want anything else other than K&H really. Well, I guess this god damned inflation could sway that. I cracked my face with a cheapass wedge a number of years ago & decided that that kind of nonsense isn't worth the savings.
I've only made a handful of posts since oh, years ago. Things do seem a little bit screwy logistically. There're ads now as well.
How're you? Anything of notable excitement gone on around here lately?

Some folks are slower than others to get caught up and that is a simple fact which has zero to do with being friendly. I myself sometimes miss many posts and are slow to catch up.
Considering you are guilty of it also then why enphiziz it? Guilty of it too.

There is also elders in their mid 80' trying to enjoy themselves. Not saying this is the case.. and some of them are sharper than you and I put together.
Something to consider.

I am no saint we can both grow, brother.

Considering you are guilty of it also then why enphiziz it? Guilty of it too.

There is also elders in their mid 80' trying to enjoy themselves. Not saying this is the case.. and some of them are sharper than you and I put together.
Something to consider.

I am no saint we can both grow, brother.
Eh?

I'm doing well. Tying to keep the wheels on the ground. (It can be a problem)
Yes K&H is the one for me as well. I like 2 10s & a 12. Don't know why anyone would want anything else other than K&H really. Well, I guess this god damned inflation could sway that. I cracked my face with a cheapass wedge a number of years ago & decided that that kind of nonsense isn't worth the savings.
I've only made a handful of posts since oh, years ago. Things do seem a little bit screwy logistically. There're ads now as well.
How're you? Anything of notable excitement gone on around here lately?
Yes, K&H all the way.
I carry 3 tens or 4 tens to 1 twelve. Our leather pouches in Canada are made for three but they get soaked in the rain naturally or you could do the hot water thing and press 4 in and let it dry that way. Yeah, 12s are 'chaser wedges' basically release wedges. You can release and stack with just 10's as long as they are not balls deep.. (as you know)
Yeah, you know your shît.

You were around before in the Forestry & Logging. You came back in around 2017 for about a week.

Young brother, I have not posted for about 6 months pryor to this thread. Keep up your wild enthusiasm my friend and keep your undercut clean brother.

Jamie

Yes, K&H all the way.
I carry 3 tens or 4 tens to 1 twelve. Our leather pouches in Canada are made for three but they get soaked in the rain naturally or you could do the hot water thing and press 4 in and let it dry that way. Yeah, 12s are 'chaser wedges' basically release wedges. You can release and stack with just 10's as long as they are not balls deep.. (as you know)
Yeah, you know your shît.

You were around before in the Forestry & Logging. You came back in around 2017 for about a week.

Young brother, I have not posted for about 6 months pryor to this thread. Keep up your wild enthusiasm my friend and keep your undercut clean brother.

Jamie
Sometimes I wonder if instead of the obsession with chainsaws ever since I can remember, perhaps computers would've been a more financially rewarding obsession. Looking back at the insane things I was doing by myself in the woods as a kid without getting smushed, I'd say that it was meant to be. I haven't been in the woods for almost 5 years now. My maternal grandmother got sick shortly after my mom passed; within months she asked of me to stay with her. That old French woman spent almost 5 years in home hospice before she was ready to begin the next chapter. God she was one tough woman! She passed November 15th, so my duties are done. Time to get back to being a master of destruction via 2 stroke power. Thanks for the uplifting words, & may I extend the same to you. I wasn't counting on anyone being terribly excited to see me back, which I guess I wouldn't be surprised about. Grandma definitely passed those "trou du cul" genes on to me. I'll grow up one day. Be safe Jamie!

Sometimes I wonder if instead of the obsession with chainsaws ever since I can remember, perhaps computers would've been a more financially rewarding obsession. Looking back at the insane things I was doing by myself in the woods as a kid without getting smushed, I'd say that it was meant to be. I haven't been in the woods for almost 5 years now. My maternal grandmother got sick shortly after my mom passed; within months she asked of me to stay with her. That old French woman spent almost 5 years in home hospice before she was ready to begin the next chapter. God she was one tough woman! She passed November 15th, so my duties are done. Time to get back to being a master of destruction via 2 stroke power. Thanks for the uplifting words, & may I extend the same to you. I wasn't counting on anyone being terribly excited to see me back, which I guess I wouldn't be surprised about. Grandma definitely passed those "trou du cul" genes on to me. I'll grow up one day. Be safe Jamie!
You are a good man.
Sorry to here about your Mother and your Grandma.
That must be tough.
My parents just sent me 2000 Canadian to do work on my new place. You can't say no, that's an insult but I don't need the money either. ,We are 6,000 miles apart and myself or Dad don't want to get on a plane that far. (Maybe they will allow me in Mexico..lolz) So that's the end. As his Father said to him in 1971 when he left for Canada was go have you life son, I already had mine. That is what he said back to me too...

You are a brother and a fine gentlemen. Get back to the woods brother and do what you do best. 5 yrs you say? You haven't missed a best. I can tell.
Physically it will take you a few hours to dial it back in.
You could do worse on a sh

ît day

I don't know what the deal is in Forestry& logging..
They seem to love, buddy
maybe I am starting to find out why.

AND ... the tree is still standing. So what's your point? Know-it-alls like you are endlessly entertaining ... 🤣

Don't have to be a pro to use a little common sense. Do you REALLY think someone would've walked away for that long in today's litigious society if the tree was going to come crashing down on the guy's house??

Yes

People, as a whole, are idiots. Those who don't even have two-***** to give in regards to personal responsibility/obligation and others' safety are a degree beyond idiot....and RAMPANT.

Latest posts

Back