Someone started cutting a tree down for us and hasn't finished the job

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He owes them money take the ropes and sell them its stupid to give the crook anything at this point. Why would you give a crook anything after they stole from you? I know one thing for sure he aint going to give anything back to the homeowner!
Well I realize giving him anything seems bad but I will post a different view. If he was not smart enough to use his ropes correctly on the job what are the chances they have been previously compromised? If they have been mistreated in the past would you really be comfortable selling them to someone else. I look at them like a used 5 point racing harness. You never sell or buy one.

You were cutting 10 sketchy leaners per hour in an urban environment?
If your experience is in the forest you have a great advantage of 'like' holding properties of the timber. That's just a fact. Utility arborist & residential arbs that deal and have always delt with targets that use ropes have no way of knowing the holding capabilities as I would. It"s just an unfairness. Every tree situation is different. I have a tree company in London now but it's not to often you can fall a tree. Urban? What doses a leaner have to do with it? Talking wedge & axe. You can do it in a timely fashion or you recognize right away it can't be wedged. I fell a lot more than 10 leaning trees per hour on utility lines that were sucked down a hill to the lines. More at risk than breaking property.

I agree that he should refund the money.

But it's not going to happen.
there's a lot to catch up on in this thread - so maybe I missed it, but it's unusual to me that he requested 1/2 the money down before completing the job as well. I thought most companies send an invoice only after the work is complete and usually on a Net 30 basis. That's just how we've always operated, so maybe I'm just in a bubble.

They were careful to never have the bucket between the tree and the house, because they knew that was the direction it would fall if it did decide to fall. They seemed to be very careful and calculated in their approach to removing the branches.
glad you got it down safe, and sound and Ya'll didn't have it fall on your house. between what you paid these Pros and the half price harry, still cheaper than if it fell on your house and had to fight the insurance, because you wouldn't be able to get anything from half price Harry.

Jamie, you:drinking: again :laughing:.
You still beating on huskys, or stihls now.
Brett, buddy.
Long time Mr B'
How's things? How's family and how's the Lord treating you? Er..um..Maybe it's said the other way around? haha.
Yeah, by the count of the cans, I had what looks to be 6 cider at 6%. All through my life I have either been on it, or completely cut it out of my life for a lengthy time. Never drank in work camp either so I always had a 'health balance'. I never posted on here or anywhere on line with a beer on my breath for the first 5 yrs I joined.
Now you guys are thinking, "really , he wrote all that crap sober" *smiles*
It was an interest to be on here and helped me live a sober life. For a while, I believe I spent more Friday & Saturday nights than anyone on here.

I know, 'I was PLAYING the cringe' last night. Turns out I am pretty good at it..lolz.. Come on, the jokes were good. I have better self awareness than one may think. I certainly don't mind to be self-depriving either.

Did you mention chainsaws, buddy?

Not to much beating on saws nowadays. Me and 25 year old climber/arborist just bought an established tree company as the boss left London. Took over phone number # email & web sight + a few tools.
£6,000 ea. Got an American Dosco chipper with deal too. Tim had a 550 mark 2
and a 261 Stihl . I do like the 261 ground saw. He had/has a 661. Yeah nice saw. he had an old 460 also. Handle bars were off.
I would never run that hard mount **** box or any tweaked handlebar all day
I've ran brand new 461 with tree company in Canada and three hour my hands are stinging.
For the amount of time I used the 460, it's a great saw mechanical. I actually found some love for the old girl but I would never had to see her for very long..if you know what I mean? More of a wham bam, thank you mam. So there is big differences.

We only have a new Echo topper & we have Tim's 151 Stihl topper for back up + his 261. We haven't taken on any big work in our first month. Rented his Ford Transit tipper for 3 weeks but bought a 2012 for £2,999. with 221 days left on annual inspector. Good price.
It's good because plate number stays with truck for life so you can get on line and view the history of all the annual inspections.

Certainly in the market for some saws in the near future. What you got buddy? Looking at a 60cc and a 90cc or something bad as in the middle for now to start. @lone wolf
Not to far down the road, we would like to do business with one 200/201 to start.
Preferably 'worked', somewhat.

Cheers guys

Brett, buddy.
Long time Mr B'
How's things? How's family and how's the Lord treating you? Er..um..Maybe it's said the other way around? haha.
Yeah, by the count of the cans, I had what looks to be 6 cider at 6%. All through my life I have either been on it, or completely cut it out of my life for a lengthy time. Never drank in work camp either so I always had a 'health balance'. I never posted on here or anywhere on line with a beer on my breath for the first 5 yrs I joined.
It was an interest to be on here and helped me live a sober life. For a while, I believe I spent more Friday & Saturday nights than anyone on here.

I know, 'I was PLAYING the cringe' last night. Turns out I am pretty good at it..lolz.. Come on, the jokes were good. I have better self awareness than one may think. I certainly don't mind to be self-depriving either.

Not to much beating on saws nowadays. Me and 25 year old climber/arborist just bought an established tree company as the boss left London. Took over phone number # email & web sight + a few tools.
and a 261 Stihl . I do like the 261 ground saw. He had/has a 661. Yeah nice saw. he had an old 460 also. Handle bars were off.
I've ran brand new 461 with tree company in Canada and three hour my hands are stinging.
For the amount of time I used the 460, it's a great saw mechanical. I actually found some love for the old girl but I would never had to see her for very long..if you know what I mean? More of a wham bam, thank you mam. So there is big differences.

We only have a new Echo topper & we have Tim's 151 Stihl topper for back up + his 261. We haven't taken on any big work in our first month. Rented his Ford Transit tipper for 3 weeks but bought a 2012 for £2,999. with 221 days left on annual inspector. Good price.
It's good because plate number stays with truck for life so you can get on line and view the history of all the annual inspections.

Certainly in the market for some saws in the near future. What you got buddy? Looking at a 60cc and a 90cc or something bad as in the middle for now to start. @lone wolf
Not to far down the road, we would like to do business with one 200/201 to start.

Cheers guys
Just 200Ts is all I have for sale.

Brett, buddy.
Long time Mr B'

Cheers guys
Wish you were near me I'd give you some work!

Brett, buddy.
Long time Mr B'

Cheers guys
Doing great here. Sounds like things are going great for you too.
Back driving truck again, been 10yrs since I've done it, and I'm in the biggest rig since I first started, gotta do what you gotta do.
Good to hear you got something going there, sounds like a good gig.
The 200s are the standard, hopefully when you're ready @lone wolf will have one ready for you. Let me know when you're ready for a 60 and we can see what I have. Last fall I sold a bunch of saws(especially 70cc saw), so my "inventory" is a bit smaller.
Stay safe sir.

Wow KitKat1, Someone should do something. Ropes should not snap, especially twice! If anyone gets hit by the snapping rope, they are INJURED. Wind can finish that tree off now. I will go any way it wants. The ropes may not hold. This looks like a 4000 pound thing.

Get someone who knows what they are doing to help you.

Wow KitKat1, Someone should do something. Ropes should not snap, especially twice! If anyone gets hit by the snapping rope, they are INJURED. Wind can finish that tree off now. I will go any way it wants. The ropes may not hold. This looks like a 4000 pound thing.

Get someone who knows what they are doing to help you.

Uhm, it has already been done, and the tree is now SAFELY on the ground 😉

Doug

there's a lot to catch up on in this thread - so maybe I missed it, but it's unusual to me that he requested 1/2 the money down before completing the job as well. I thought most companies send an invoice only after the work is complete and usually on a Net 30 basis. That's just how we've always operated, so maybe I'm just in a bubble.

This wasn't a company. This was a guy who supposedly worked for a tree service doing work on the side.

How many times have you heard a story start out "The guy asked for half up front," and the job turned out well? Nobody, and I mean NOBODY legitimate will ask for half up front, even if their kids are starving.

This wasn't a company. This was a guy who supposedly worked for a tree service doing work on the side.

How many times have you heard a story start out "The guy asked for half up front," and the job turned out well? Nobody, and I mean NOBODY legitimate will ask for half up front, even if their kids are starving.
Quite a few times, and it was me asking.
That being said, it was for roofs ;).
Just because you can put a lein on someone's home doesn't mean they will pay in a timely manner, even if you were to sue.
My kids have always had food too.

Latest posts

Back