Someone started cutting a tree down for us and hasn't finished the job

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I covered that. A homeowner lacks the expertise to know how expert someone is. I was attempting to address the fact that the hack that inspired this thread was proposing to do that tree solo.

While it is possible to find a skilled tree worker that could drop that tree, I wouldn't recommend that they allow it to be done. The best expert in the world will still recommend having some help.

I've had plenty of jobs where one climber could go handle the request, but I always send two. I'm not gonna have anybody get injured by bad luck or stupidity that doesn't at least have an observer to call for help.

Let's go down to the arboricultural injuries forum and see how many dead tree workers we can find that were working by themselves...
So the homeowner now determines how I do the job 😆.
Who are you to say that a homeowner lacks the expertise, so when you're all broke up and can't do tree work and hire someone, you won't have the expertise. I get it now.
So now it's about safety, I get it :laughing: .

Did anybody say "just a sledge hammer?" In light of all the speculation about the rope that doesn't lend much support to the broken rope argument. Given that even rank amateurs know about "notches" there is high probability that "A tree person with 10 years experience" would have made some kind of face cut that is not visible in the photo offered... Given the position of the rope the wedge on the left could be hiding the face cut from view! Take a ride over there and tell us what you see! 😉
Don't worry, the fox will be back to defend his statements, and don't argue or he'll get you banned:lol:.

I laugh when I hear the licensed and bonded term in my area. I have yet to have any person be able to show me what it truly means. Here all the bonded part means is you carry adequate liability insurance to cover your rear end if you make a mistake. The license part is a bit shady. A little over 20 years ago I had a house in a city across in Iowa. It was going to sit vacant for awhile so I could do major repairs. It had a 60amp panel and meter in a closet that needed pulled . Of course 200amp is required by code if changes are made. This would require the power company to run a new service to the new meter base. I knew doing this would trigger a city inspector to poke around. I called the city to inquire about the process. The woman I spoke with said I could not do the work myself as I needed to be licensed. I asked her what the process was to get a "license" and she could not tell me as she had no idea. All she knew was I had to be "licensed". I pursued the issue and finally got to someone who said I needed to take an exam. I said that was fine when and where is it? They could not answer. All they knew was I needed to take an exam. This went on for awhile and I just did the work that was most needed on interior meter base. It passed a yearly inspection for 14 years. In March of 2017 the house was hit by a tornado and took 30% of the upstairs off. At that point the electrical was not much concern.

I am sure some areas do require some sort of a license but here it is shady. As for proper insurance that is a must.
Its big money grab.

Its big money grab.
It definitely is in many areas. I had a house in a small town that never required any type of permit for home renovations. If you wanted to roof your house they would bring you a dump truck to use for the debris. When it was full you called them and they took it to the landfill.

In another city they charged you a permit fee to roof your own damm house.

It definitely is in many areas. I had a house in a small town that never required any type of permit for home renovations. If you wanted to roof your house they would bring you a dump truck to use for the debris. When it was full you called them and they took it to the landfill.

These jerks here chase you around and look for permits and licenses every time they see you working.

https://ifunny.co/picture/3kdQLnBA7?s=clGuess it didn't load the picture automatically...
Screenshot_20230207-134251_Chrome.jpg

These jerks here chase you around and look for permits and licenses every time they see you working.
I got spooked once and pulled a permit AFTER the job was done. A guy called me Saturday night and said he wanted to roof a house Sunday. I had not pulled a permit yet. He did the job Sunday and I went in bright and early Monday and got a permit to cover my rear. About 30 years ago I worked with a guy who was building a garage at his house. He never got a permit and they made him tear it down and restart. About 23 years ago my neighbor (cousin) wanted a large garage built. My brother built it and I did the electrical. (unlicensed and unbonded :dizzy: ). Our county has some flubbered up rule about how large a garage can be without a 48" foundation. The garage had to be built to a certain dimension to avoid being required to put a foundation in. If we would have built it as a pole structure it would have been fine but the man was a doctor and had a beautiful house that he wanted a garage to match. Over on the county line a seed dealer put up a large pole building. It is probably 80 x 200. The county made him put a flipping fireproof wall across it because it was too long. How can a pole building be too long. It is all about money

Here in my small coastal city, the one trade you can not do as owner builder, is Electrical. Reason being, 93% of the FIRE calls responded to by the city Fire Department, are found to be started by some sort of faulty electrical installation work- so its a local ordinance.

Me? I do lots of building trade work myself, and pull permits for certain things as Owner Builder, becasue I can and will be doing the work myself, and I know some things aren't going to to get done in the dark of night or behind closed doors. I permitted my Re-roof. 22 sqaure, Remove concrete tile, bolt down rafter plate, add hurricane strapping to the rafters, changed a flat roof Florida room into a hip and blend it back to a hip in the west side, and add a valley of course, THEN, spend another 6 months setting the new concrete tile. I didn't mind paying the permit fee. It was 9 months well spent- its a 100 year roof and reflects sunlight and heat away from my roof and doesn;t conduct heat into my attic space. As well, I needed to tie down my roof to get a windstorm mitigation credit, which was substantial. When I replaced all the windows, 19 in total, I did not get a permit. I did one to two a weekend, and I saved my radiused plaster finish in my home, which qualifies as an architectural feature for these homes like mine.

Beyond that? I've gutted and remodeled two homes very much like this one, and wound up doubling my money and paid myself and my wife, and various itinerant helpers i had as I did them, before the doubling. I had no intention of flipping them at the time i bought them- One, I just had to buy becasue of the price i could get it for, and knowing it wouldn't qualify for a mortgage for anyone else, I snapped it up and the seller didn't even have to look for a realtor..... My oldest was given an opportunity to buy it once I got it mortgagable, (putting a new roof on it and making a couple of doord an windows actually close and lock,) and we would work on the rest with his cash as we went, but he didn't want to work that hard at it then. He could have gotten a nice house on the beach for a very affordable price even for a single income, basically cost, say $80k to get it mortgaged. (and I was paying cash to get him to that point and giving him the deed- so a cash out refinance). But he just didn;t want it then. Now, he wishes he had, its over $400k now.

The other, kinda the same thing. Actually in the same sons, backyard neighbor died, and it needed alot. I bought it for cash while it was still furnished with some grandmothers stuff still in it, closed in a week. My two youngest were college aged and they roomed totgher for almost three years when the daughter bought a house, the youger son moved with a girlfriend. COMPLETE gut, minus the plaster finish in the main body of the house. Elctrical i got permit for to upgarde to 200 amps and have the weatherhead and panel done. Everything else was nights and weeknds for six month, no permits. WIndows doors appliances cabinets, septic replacement, HVAC.

Similair to the OP's post here. If you SHOULD hire a pro, then its nice the city makes them be licensed and insured, and inspect their work, since the HO doesn;t know how to do the work themselves. If its crappy, you have some recourse against the contractor if it fails. If it passed inspection and it falls apart, you have recourse against the contractor, moresoe the City who inspected it.

(our city took it on the chin for ten three story apartments (out of 14 built eventually) that their inspector inspected formed and rodded slabs, that had NO plastic wrap below the rods and mesh. Got poured and framed on, stucco exterior, and the concrete slabs just sucked up the moisture through the slab on a sandy island and rotted out the framing in just three years, while they were still building the total number of 14 buildings....)

This thread is worthless without pics. I've been saying this for years maybe almost 50? My youngest boy had a part time screenprinting thing he was doing and made made me a dozen shirt to give to friends.

1675798630360.png1675798652721.png

Get LOTS of photos! Do it now! Photos of the tree from multiple directions; of the tree and your house, from multiple directions; close-up pics of the various cuts; photos of where the rope is attached, both on the tree and at the other end. Take more photos than you think you might ever need (the film is cheap :)).

Call in an insured arborist and get the tree down ASAP.

Hold onto the equipment he left behind. It may help to cover some of the costs of the insured arborist. If you can't get money back from him, you can either sue him, which would probably not be worth the time and effort or, as my father used to say, "Book it down to experience" and move on.

Stop worrying about him losing his job. He's not too concerned about you possibly losing your house, so why are you concerned about his job?

Lots of opinions here, but from my experience living with FIVE, 90% dead ash trees with bases that big, and bigger, swaying in howling winds during every storm (we're at 1k feet in central MA - we get STRONG winds often), just across a narrow, old street width from my barn and house, I wouldn't worry about it.

Mine are so dead bark is falling off. When I first moved here I figured one of them would crush my barn within the next 5 years. Well, here we are 2 decades later, they're deader than ever, and yet they still stand. They'll shed branches here and there during storms, but nothing big. Ash is very strong and flexible - that's why it's used for tool handles and baseball bats. To me it doesn't look like he cut far enough through to be a danger, and the wedges are in the correct direction. From what I've seen over the past 20 years, it's a non-issue.

If that were pine, this would be a completely different story.

Lots of opinions here, but from my experience living with FIVE, 90% dead ash trees with bases that big, and bigger, swaying in howling winds during every storm (we're at 1k feet in central MA - we get STRONG winds often), just across a narrow, old street width from my barn and house, I wouldn't worry about it.

Mine are so dead bark is falling off. When I first moved here I figured one of them would crush my barn within the next 5 years. Well, here we are 2 decades later, they're deader than ever, and yet they still stand. They'll shed branches here and there during storms, but nothing big. Ash is very strong and flexible - that's why it's used for tool handles and baseball bats. To me it doesn't look like he cut far enough through to be a danger, and the wedges are in the correct direction. From what I've seen over the past 20 years, it's a non-issue.

So you are giving advice on what to do about a tree that was.abandoned halfway through the felling process based on your experience watching 5 half dead trees out of your kitchen window?

Are you sure they are ash? I've been felling and cleaning up dead ash for 6+ years since the EAB hit this area. In the past six months the volume of dead ash breaking off mid-stem or at the roots has increased at an increasing rate as they have deteriorated so badly... They are beyond use for firewood and are being composted in place.

I cleaned up three just yesterday that fell from the neighbor's property onto my family's property. One of them barely missing a storage building that my neighbor's insurance company replaced a few years ago. This because one of their ash trees fell and crushed it after they were notified via certified mail that they had hazard trees. I'm gathering up a bunch of photos of the trees falling from that property that destroyed two large pines, caused significant damage to a maple and two other pines, smashed the building, and otherwise fell on our property... also photos of the myriad standing dead ash still threatening the building and our property. Being a lawyer and bank VP they don't give two sheetz about anyone but themselves... Being notified by their insurance company that they are loosing their homeowner's insurance may wake them up to the fact that others matter!

I would not be surprised to learn that I've had my saws in 1,000 or more ash... I took over 50 off my family's property mentioned above and many many 100s off two rail trails. About two weeks ago I took down and/or cleaned up 18 ash in about a 75 yard stretch of the trail. This after responding to a report that one fell and smashed a fence... Other local rail trails are experiencing similar issues and DPWs, highway departments, and volunteers are out frequently... so much so that the county now has a budgeted full time position dedicated to tree work on a 10.5 mile trail (it's for accounting purposes... normally 2-3 guys respond but they aren't there full time!).

1,000% sure. All ash, all 5. Actually more than 5, but the 5 are the ones that would affect me.

The bald one on the right is a maple.IMG_7761.jpeg

You're pretty sharp, Jollylogger - that's EXACTLY what I'm doing. The OP can take it or leave it. Much like the rest of the comments in here, it don't mean **** - up to the OP if he wants to sit and bite his nails for 2 weeks ... or not.

You're pretty sharp, Jollylogger - that's EXACTLY what I'm doing. The OP can take it or leave it. Much like the rest of the comments in here, it don't mean **** - up to the OP if he wants to sit and bite his nails for 2 weeks ... or not.

From your first post, you sounded.like a fool, just wanted.to give you a chance to confirm it. If you will look at the header of the Homeowner Helper forum, this is a chance.for homeowners.to ask pros questions. Your trees have not been compromised at the base, and the OP's original question was what her options were when dealing with a contractor who left a job half finished.

AND ... the tree is still standing. So what's your point? Know-it-alls like you are endlessly entertaining ... 🤣

Don't have to be a pro to use a little common sense. Do you REALLY think someone would've walked away for that long in today's litigious society if the tree was going to come crashing down on the guy's house??

Back