something went wrong

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ouch! :msp_ohmy:

was ready to give this saw back, when i started it one last time and heard a bad noise... took of the cover to reveal this carnage.
241255d1339376423-img290fly-jpg

the broken fins
241256d1339376430-img290fin-jpg

this is the culprit i believe
241257d1339376433-img290pin-jpg

Last edited:
If it had a threaded hole in it I would say it was a bar tensioner pin. Gotta watch the flywheel magnets. Their good for grabbing small bits of metal from the work bench.

.... Gotta watch the flywheel magnets. Their good for grabbing small bits of metal from the work bench.

That never occurred to me, but it sure sounds plausible.:msp_huh: I'll be watching for that myself, from now on.

justchecknjr:

I'm really sorry about what happened to your saw. :(

Many thanks for sharing those pictures, and giving the us the opportunity to learn from your unfortunate experience.:bowdown:

ms290

its a ms290, i got the saw, it was hard to pull, p&c looked great, started it up, seamed to free everything up made some test cuts with, trimmed some trees, put it away. got it out a few days later blew it off and started it one last time and it made a bad noise. tensioner looks good, every thing looked intact. mabee something was hanging inside till i blew it loose. i'm stumped!!!! thanks for all the replies!

its a ms290, i got the saw, it was hard to pull, p&c looked great, started it up, seamed to free everything up made some test cuts with, trimmed some trees, put it away. got it out a few days later blew it off and started it one last time and it made a bad noise. tensioner looks good, every thing looked intact. mabee something was hanging inside till i blew it loose. i'm stumped!!!! thanks for all the replies!

Did you find the reason it was hard to pull? Perhaps this object was in there all of the time and the reason why it was hard to turn.

If we could have a pic or two of the ends...??

i'm out of town, won't be home till the weekend. working in southern Illinois. i looked at the ipl, and its kinda the shape of the end of the pull cord. does any one know of this? # 15 on page 20. the smaller end has a clean break

i ran the saw for about 20-30 mins trimming trees at all different angles, i would have thought that would have knocked it loose then, the clutch side did make a little noise, like the washer holding the drum on was a little loose. when i relieved the saw, the muffler was loose from someone looking at it. there was looked to be melted plastic on the screen, ran it for a little bit, smelled of melted plastic for a minute. ran fine, four stoked out of the cut and cleaned up under load.

i got a fly wheel from a 029, but don't want to ruin that.

If it was the end of the pull cord, it probably would have been threaded on the cord. It looks like a socket. Probably left there by the last guy and stuck inside the fins near the magnet, you blew it out and bingo!!! It doesn't even have to fit the saw, just set a flywheel down near it and BAM, instant attraction!

kind of like me to 100+cc saws!

some more pics

been hectic lately, hope these pictures help some more

View attachment 243255

stuck to the fly wheel, was the only way
View attachment 243256
it had saw dust caked on like it has been in there, or a part from inside. but i have not seen where it could have came from. i'm not real familiar with the oil wire that rides with the clutch drum, i didn't get into that yet, any ideas????:bang:

View attachment 243257
i glued the hole in the oil tank with some expensive "super glue" that i had. it fixed the plastic on my boat carb with out a problem so far. :clap:
i can't figure out this imbeding thing, it never shows the screens that are on all the threads. :dizzy:

I fixed some broken fins on a flywheel once...however it was a lawmower that my neighbor grenaded. I found aluminum brazing rod seemed to work pretty good. (During this time I also learned that if you use a torch to try and braze a magnesium piece it is likely to disintegrate and catch fire.) I don't know if the fact it'll be spinning at 4x the RPM would be a problem, that and balance. Unless you just needed to run it soon I'd probably get another one. My neighbor's lawn mower that I pieced back together, as far as I know, ran at least a couple more years after all that. (Honestly it was fine, but their mechanical abilities were at the point of dangerous. The wife replaced a socket in her kitchen, don't remember why she did it, but anyway she said it would make a weird noise occasionally and trip the breaker. I went over and had a look...almost electrocuted myself pulling the socket out of the box. I bet she had stripped 4 inches of wire...:msp_scared: Needless to say I patched that up, and got their 3 way switch setup working correctly as well. What they didn't have in mechanical skills they certainly had it in friendliness.)

been hectic lately, hope these pictures help some more
243255d1340850219-290pin-jpg

stuck to the fly wheel, was the only way

243256d1340850255-290pinbreak-jpg

it had saw dust caked on like it has been in there, or a part from inside. but i have not seen where it could have came from. i'm not real familiar with the oil wire that rides with the clutch drum, i didn't get into that yet, any ideas????:bang:

243257d1340850293-290pintop-jpg

i glued the hole in the oil tank with some expensive "super glue" that i had. it fixed the plastic on my boat carb with out a problem so far. :clap:
i can't figure out this imbeding thing, it never shows the screens that are on all the threads. :dizzy:

Latest posts

Back