Somethings gotta give

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...that wouldn't explain the sound it made.

Check the inside teeth of your sprocket.
I just changed one that had 1/2 the inside teeth broken.
I can't see them well enough in your pic.
If they are shot, check that the shaft it sits on isn't buggered too.
attachment.php

Last edited:
Mine doesn't look like that. It doesn't have those little teeth. It's the same front and back just one side is stamped with stihl and some part # or whatever. How did you bust yours off?

Mine doesn't look like that. It doesn't have those little teeth. It's the same front and back just one side is stamped with stihl and some part # or whatever. How did you bust yours off?

I didn't know if you'd have the same style sprocket, but I thought of this thread and your "buzz" when I saw this one. It's off an 024 Super I just picked up. I don't know how he broke them and I doubt he knew they were broken. No biggie. $5 to replace.

Well it would make perfect sense if it was that for me. Good thinkin for sure. I cleaned the saw back to brand new basically, when I point the saw at the snow to check oiling should I get a nice distinctive line or a random droplets that kind of look like sand or dirt. I'm pretty well touching the snow when I do this.

I would hold it to the end of a log, or the pavement/sidewalk, or something like that to check the oiling. Tough to tell in the snow IMO. You should get a line and not just drops here and there. Cut some with it and pull the chain out of the bar to see if the drivers are wet.

If I did it on the end of a log I know I wouldn't be able to see anything. I ran the saw without the bar and it seems to be oiling well. I cleaned both port holes on the bar and the guide on the bar that the chain follows. Also I've turned the oiler right up. And still just random splatter, just doesn't seem like enough.

If it has you drivers wet with oil after some cutting it is good. They don't throw a ton of oil.

Latest posts

Back