Sometimes you just need a STIHL !!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

confused

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Look fellas this is nothing about which saw is better or not, its just a small story.

i had the privilage to do some tree trimming and some felling with three generations of my family (Grandfather, my father, and myself along with an uncle too) The funny thing and this is my point of the four men there, there was four different chainsaws manufacturers represented. Husky (Grandpa) McCulloch (Dad) Homelite (Uncle) and myself (STIHL). We were doing just fine with all the saws running and we all had some fun rubbing it in who had the best saw and how much the others were just junk. Then it was time for the last big trees to come down (oaks 30-36") to finish up the day. First the homelite (super XL) bit in, the first thought that came to mind was of those little annoying dogs that have lots of bark but you would just kick them aside. Yeah well the tree just laughed at the little saw. The Mac(610 Pro ) grabbed ahold and had all it could handle and i still wasnt enough looked like a bar fight with Mike Tyson, more work that its worth. The Husky (55 Rancher) stepped up and lite is fire and well he just didnt have what it really takes. Finally we fired up the 046 and the tree finally conceeded and she fell to earth. Now you might be thinking that it has alot to do with who was running the saw, not so it this case my uncle ran all three alternatives before shamelessly using the enemy (he is homelite till death do they part, i mean he was) So the moral of the story is skip the rest and buy the best. Go STIHL or go home.

O and my uncle has a stihl now. Everyone learns at their own pace.

you see your uncle was just not using the right size homelite. now if he has a sxl-925 it would have chewed circles around that little sthil. but that red power is nothing to be reckoned with. if you have the right homelite it will stand it's ground and cut a sthil in half. :)

Yeah your Stihl did pretty good. Good thing it was about twice the size as every other saw there. It is the size that counts, and that you spent twice as much on your saw. A Husky 372xp would have given you a run for you money. I know for a fact that Homelite and Mac made some serious wood cutting machines in there day. Jonathan

Yeah i know that i had by far the largest saw, and that if the others were of the same size we all would have been fine. It was just the look of disgust after my saw did so well. Finally the anit-stihl family actually respected another saw.

Your Grandpa must have had a dull chain on the Rancher because I have felled many 36" trees with mine. I even took one out with a 14" Poulan woodshark, though it didnt want to start afterwards the poor little guy was so hot:p . Next time pick on someone your own size! Thats like putting my Homelite Zip up against my neighbors electric Remington

Hey guys, take it easy on Confused. He's just ultra-proud of his great new saw, although I'm surprised he can get it started with his big head in the way! :p

Latest posts

Back