Sorry, but I got to RANT!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stu in Tokyo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I truly love this place, Japan, but some days I want to just start kicking some butts and taking names :bang:

I went to 3 different bikes shops, 4 car shops, and 5 DIY centers, I could not find any thin spark plug wire. No one sells it.

The DIY/Home centers SELL Chainsaws, SELL weed whackers, SELL generators, SELL lawn mowers......but they do NOT sell anything to do with them.

Two of the home-center places SELL chainsaws, but they DO NOT sell chain oil, or carry chain files.....?

So I came back to the Dungeon and bodged a spark plug wire from some motorcycle stuff I had laying around. It works, but it is not a long term solution, IMHO.

OK, that was bad enough, but now I have to really rant....

We called the Husqvarna guys again....

Me: look we know you cannot get parts for this particular chain saw (Husky 185 CD) as it is too old, fine, I understand, no big deal. What about a spark plug wire from a different Husky saw?

Them: Nope sorry can't help you...

Me: But, there must be saws that have a similar length spark plug wire?

Them: Nope, sorry, can't help you.

Me: OK don't you sell it by the foot, or meter or something?

Them: No, we don't.......

Me: Well they do at most dealers in the US/Canada.

Them: Fine, buy it there.... (hangs up...!)

We called back the next day to ask about spark plugs, as I've not been able to find them here (go figure) and they said....

Them: Sorry, you saw is too old, we don't stock parts for it.

Me: ...come on, you don't have spark plug...?

Them: No, sorry, your saw is too old....

Me: OK, fine, how about you recommend to me a small engine repair shop? You guys must know of some.

Them: Sorry, we are not a referral agency, goodbye.....(hangs up again).

Now I have to tell you, I'm steamed, this is piss poor beyond description.

I'll tell you what, I will NEVER spend one thin dime on anything to do with Husqvarna in Japan again.

I'm not slamming the main company, but I am POed a the local guys. One of the reasons I bought this old saw was because it WAS a Husky....

I was going to buy the helmet, ear muffs, shield set up, but now I won't. I was going to buy the very neat oil and gas can they sell, but now I won't.

I'll get this saw running and then I'll sell it, and get a Sthil or something, ANYTHING else, even it if costs me more money.

Now I have to ask you guys, am I out of line?

The guy was bordering on telling me to f_ck off, over the phone, I was not being rude in any way, and neither was my wife, who was also talking to him.

He would also not give his name.

So, if any one from the Husqvarna head office wonders why they don't sell many saws in Japan, I might have a reason for you, your service, in Japan, sucks.

BTW, a 385 XP lists for $2,800 US, and I've seen them sell for $2,100 US...

Rant over....

Now I have to get the saw running....

From what I know of the Japanese mentality I have to say I am NOT surprised. Shredding the saw and making a new one out of the raw materials is more attractive to them than fixing an old one. Any material possession is subject to this thinking. Places, practices, and traditions are held in centuries old reverence. Cars, motorcycles, electronics, and it seems chainsaws are disposable. Here's one time I would suggest going far away from your "local dealer" and give Baileys a call.

I'd send a letter of complaint to Husqvarna corporate. Letters are harder to ignore than phone calls. Outline exactly what you did in your post. You are completely justified in being pissed. Cultural differences asside, that kind of behavior is terrible, and the Mother Ship should know about it.

I'm a very happy Husky owner here in the US, but I'd be buying Stihl too if I were treated that way. I've got a few companies on my sh$%t list for things like this, and I'll never spend a dime with them again either. John Deere comes to mind for me.

twistedtree said:
I'd send a letter of complaint to Husqvarna corporate. Letters are harder to ignore than phone calls.

Exactly right. Letters speak 1000 times louder than phone calls.

High Voltage Wire

Stu , has the conductor in the high voltage wire corroded to dust ? I'm assuming that it is wire and not carbon impregnated suppressor nylon . Maybe you can clean the corrosion off the wire and pug connector and put it back together .

scottr said:
Stu , has the conductor in the high voltage wire corroded to dust ? I'm assuming that it is wire and not carbon impregnated suppressor nylon . Maybe you can clean the corrosion off the wire and pug connector and put it back together .

Hi Scott.

The wire is toast, it is a wire, or was.

old_saw_problems2.jpg

The other problem is the coil clip that goes around the top of the sparkplug, it is BADLY corroded, and it is no longer snug on the top of the sparkplug.

Cheers!

Send someone asking for a lead wire and a spark plug for a 346,353 or whatever they keep in stock.Im not sure that a 185 got a 5mm wire tho,but if yes you are in business.The 353 or else should be enough long to fit on your 185.

I had the coil clip break in half on one saw. I went to the local mower shop and bought a generic one, came home and stuck it in, making a new hole in the ignition wire. It worked perfectly.

Barb on connector

Stu , I see that the barb that probes the ignition wire is corroded away . Brian is correct , probably a new connector will fix your problem .This does not necessarily mean that the whole wire is corroded to dust . It's very possible to find usable wire near the end of that ignition wire if you make the effort . Strip back 1/4" of insulation and look at the wire .

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not giving Husky Japan nothing, even if I have to import it from the US and pay the shipping, I don't give a rat's you know what!!

The wire was toast a good inch from the end, I need a new wire, I put one on from a motorcycle, works fine, a bit thick.

The problem I'm having now is the saw is flooding, the muffler if half full of gas!

I'll post that on the related thread.....

Cheers!

I mentioned this in my other thread, but I thought I should tell the tale here as well.

Husky Japan lists some "Independent" service centers that do Husky work, we contacted one today, and the guy was as helpful as could be.

I've got a new plug wire coming and a couple of spark-plugs as well. The guy could not find the carb kit in his book, but he did some digging and found the same numbers for a carb kit, with the exception of the first three numbers, instead of "501" it is "503".

Anyone know if this would work?

He also told me that if the parts are available at the Husky HQ, in Sweden, then he could get them for me, but it might take a while, like early next year.

Quite the different attitude from the independent service shop (Husky certified) from the "Official" Husky reps.

I got the saw running today and slabbed up that last BIG piece I had in the Dungeon. I'd be out at the woodlot tomorrow, Dec 23rd, but it is a national holiday here and the Demo crew guys are off, so I'll have to wait until Saturday!!

Cheers!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back