Sound off! What's your 2016 Wood Cutting Resolution?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
while talking to the tech at the repair shop, he was telling me (hear say) from the rep from huski their making all their saws auto tune starting this year! the exception was the proffesional saws from the 372 on up in the XP SERIES......all other saws will be AUTO TUNE. so for the price i will be gathering a few of the 460 series/carbed/ manual setting able for futher uses!

15 cords CSS and under roof before November 1. I have about 6-7 cords of this already bucked, and my new Brave splitter should be here Monday or Tuesday, so this should be an achievable goal.

I burned 10 cords last winter and I am on pace for about 8 this winter, so 15 would put me just about a year ahead.

At least 26 more truckloads from the woods I bought tops in before the middle of next Dec when my contract runs out. That'll put my cost at $5 per truckload of hard maple, oak, ash, and a lot of hickory. That will also put more than three year's worth on site with a little to sell to 're-coup my initial expense. After that I'll be able to go back to scrounging the 4-6 cord I need per year.

I would also like to repair a couple more blown up saws to play with and then sell, and help my son and his buddy get their fledgling firewood business going.

Ok I would like to get my 350 and 2-10 running also. I've got the 350 parts sitting in the mailbox at my house. 2-10 needs pull rope replaced and some carb problems sorted out.

My 576AT has been reliable and tough so far. I wouldn't shy away from another AT saw. Add that to the fact you can pick them up new for about 750, and thats a win in my book. Especially when you consider the ms460s are going for that used, aren't as smooth, and are old technology in comparison.

My 576AT has been reliable and tough so far. I wouldn't shy away from another AT saw. Add that to the fact you can pick them up new for about 750, and thats a win in my book. Especially when you consider the ms460s are going for that used, aren't as smooth, and are old technology in comparison.
Just out of curiosity where might one come accross one at 750?

I would like to be able to make some more outside storage areas. My wood shed will fill up fast considering how little I may burn this winter. I need new places to stack wood that is already down before it starts to rot.
I have to clear land before I can build anything to stack wood.

Well, in about a week my brother will join the wood burning fraternity for the first time. Getting an insert for his never used fireplace. So, my resolution is to get him up to speed on the whole thing. Mostly that means getting him on my "stay ahead" timetable rather than his typical "last minute" frame of mind by which he does everything. I mean how many guys have a stove installed in the middle on January, right? :)

I get more wood than I need, and I'm happy to share. Already got him set up with cord number one and a bunch of kindling. And I've been setting aside some more. If I didn't say anything, he'd have waited til the stove was in and we'd be digging it out of the snow.

This year is only my second year heating with wood. Last year, I scrambled for wood all winter long just to keep feeding the stove. This year, I had 5.5 cords split and stacked by October for this winter- a huge relief, however the Oak has only been seasoning since the Spring so while the MC is low, it isn't as dry as it could be. I already have about 2.5 cords split and stacked for next year- so my 2016 goal is to have 6 cords of dry, seasoned firewood ready to go by September, so that I can then start into the following years' supply :havingarest:

Latest posts

Back