Spark plugs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any Chi-Com, I heard Bosch is chi-com now? I''ve still a stash of geman made.

NGKs are good but some are brazilian.
NGK also China, Brazil, Malaysia, Thailand, Russia.

I have had the most troubles with NGK. Had some misfiring in twin at NGK Thailand 75hrs and a set of Champion made in Mexico in another twin had over 400hrs and no issues.

I also run all plugs anymore as I gave up on it being they come from everywhere anymore.

Going to grab some Denso next order in bulk. But see they make them everywhere now too.

My favorite was the Bosch German made.

ngkchina.jpg

Avoid "Torch" Spark plugs like the plague!!
DO NOT USE the Bosch WS7F in any Stihl gas powered equipment.
Stihl chainsaws, trimmers, and blowers run best with a Bosch WSR6F, even the plugs made in Mexico.
(Aside from the 500i Chainsaw and the 4mix engines that use a completely different form factor spark plug.)
The NGK BPMR7A is useable but it makes the saws difficult to tune. It also seems to me that the exhaust has a more pungent odor.

Very ironic timing... I have a Polaris Ranger 570 UTV that I could not get to run right after replacing the fuel pump and checking everything I could think of. I had checked the plug and visually it looked fine, not wet or black. Finally broke down and took to the dealer to plug into their computer: bad NGK plug.
Less than 50 miles on this UTV, they said they are known to foul plugs if they are ever driven for short runs before the engine can get up to temp, or if they run marginal gas. Both of which happened to this UTV before it was gifted to us by my wife's parents.
Growing up we had Yamaha ATVs, Big Bear, Warriors, when I say those ATVs never fouled plugs I mean never.
I don't know if I'm more embarrassed or more pi$$ed-off that it was a bad plug. The damn thing would start and run perfect until it built up some heat, not like any bad plug I had ever experienced. I think the POS plug was defective internally.

Very ironic timing... I have a Polaris Ranger 570 UTV that I could not get to run right after replacing the fuel pump and checking everything I could think of. I had checked the plug and visually it looked fine, not wet or black. Finally broke down and took to the dealer to plug into their computer: bad NGK plug.
Less than 50 miles on this UTV, they said they are known to foul plugs if they are ever driven for short runs before the engine can get up to temp, or if they run marginal gas. Both of which happened to this UTV before it was gifted to us by my wife's parents.
Growing up we had Yamaha ATVs, Big Bear, Warriors, when I say those ATVs never fouled plugs I mean never.
I don't know if I'm more embarrassed or more pi$$ed-off that it was a bad plug. The damn thing would start and run perfect until it built up some heat, not like any bad plug I had ever experienced. I think the POS plug was defective internally.
Awhile back, my car got a misfire and had all kinds of blinking lights on the dash. Went over all the basics, wtf could it be? Was embarrassed to find the plugs had worn to nearly 1/4" gap, a plug wire had split and was grounding against the head randomly, and all this took out the ignition coil too. All the maintenance I'd done, and I never even thought to look at the plugs. New plugs, wires, and ignition coil, and good to go. About time to do plugs again.

I can tell you from first hand experience, I have had MORE problems and sudden-death with supposed "high performance" plugs than standard ones. I have a 1996 KTM 300 2-stroke dirt bike that I fixed up a while back. The manual called for some kind of high-performance, Iridium, high-tech expensive or whatever BS plug with a tiny little electrode. That plug didn't last for s--t and when it died it DIED. I had to get towed home. Replaced it with a regular old NGK B9ES and it lasted for a few years.

I second the NGK bandwagon and the avoidance advice of buying them from ebay/amazon as the majority are counterfeit! This bit me in the azz on my wifes car and a 4 pack of BPRM7A plugs. The ebay ngk laser iridiums I used In my wifes car only lasted 30k miles then started breaking down under high load at low rpm aka lugging the engine. It was the weirdest random misfire diag I have had to figure out yet. The small engine plugs box and plug packaging quality was off pudding compared to the real thing. The only time ngk plugs have given me issues is when they get flooded bad otherwise they just run until the copper core or resister fails internally often where they start and run then shut off or run bad once fully warmed up. As far as I know NGK manufactures the current plugs for gm and have done so since at least 98-99.

So why do cars have so many different types of plugs (copper, iridium, platinum, split fire, quad fire, etc) but 2 cycle plugs seem to be the same basic plug as always?
Plain jane copper core plugs provide a stronger/hotter spark than the rare metal tipped versions where as the rare metal tipped versions are far more resistant to wearing away thus increasing the milage/time between replacement intervals.

The bad wire through me for a loop.
It was a pretty new set and I started getting a random misfire. Changed the coil and the plug before I swapped the wire with an old one and that fixed it.
Visually there was nothing wrong with it.

So why do cars have so many different types of plugs (copper, iridium, platinum, split fire, quad fire, etc) but 2 cycle plugs seem to be the same basic plug as always?

To sell more plugs. How else do you convince someone to spend $8/ea on a spark plug, outside of a motorcycle dealer?

Latest posts

Back