Sparkless Homelite Super XL

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macmiss

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Homelite Super XL with electronic ignition that will not make a spark – bought it on EBay. I replaced the coil with a blue aftermarket coil and reset the gap but still no spark. I disconnected the kill switch, but still no spark. I took the saw to a very reputable saw mechanic with over 50 years experience and who also is a Homelite collector. He replaced the coil with a coil from a working saw, but still no spark. There is electrical continuity between the engine head and the coil ground wire. I don’t know how that would not be the case, but I checked anyway. The magnets on the flywheel seem to be strong, and they are not rubbing or tipping the coil poles as might happen with a bent crank. Anyone have an idea as to what to look for? This saw has good compression and I hate to give up on it. Any ideas would be appreciated.

If you are useing a spark plug to check, you need to clamp the body of it to the engine cylinder or the carb. box or etc.

Electronic (solid state), especially the early ones, make poor voltage at hand cranking speed. Judging by my experience.

Turn out the room lights and give it a good rip. Also, spark may be jumping thru the plug wire insulation somewhere.

If it has the blue Prestolite coil on it...

Those ignition coils can and will fail at the drop of a hat. It was the same coil used on a Pioneer Farmsaw. I have seen numerous Prestolite coils fail. I have had saws that were runners, set em on the shelf one day and come back the next to no spark whatsoever.

That coil is notoriously one of the weakest electronic ignition coils ever used. Some guys will convert their saws over to a points ignition which would require the points/box, flywheel and coil to make it happen. You can buy NOS blue coils for around $75, but you may be ahead to make the conversion, it's less expensive and more reliable, and really not a whole lot of work. Moreover, you just don't know how long that $75 blue coil will last.

With the failure rate on those coils so steep I pretty much choose not to sell them.

I can hook you up with a good points rig, if you're interested.

Feel free to drop me a PM

Chris

No telling what parts have been swapped out on a fleabay saw. Make sure you have the Wico/Prestolite flywheel, not the Phelon/Repco, as the magnet polarities are opposite. Should have a FWM-1068 number cast into the back side of the FW to work with the blue coil.

The early series crankshafts came with a points lobe, so your crank may not have one on yours. However, you can always run a Nova II instead of points if you do convert back to the points type coil.

Chris brings up a good point. Better to fit it with the points box/coil bracket and coil, add an Atom module (points eliminator if your crank don't have a breaker cam) and points flywheel.

Another possible solution is the coil bracket and coil from an electronic ignition Lombard AP-42 type (Comango) as it will bolt on. I never actually tried it but had both in front of me on the workbench and they look identical except for the coil color (black). I can find no difference in the flywheels also.

Edit: I see hotshot and I think alike.

All the above that has been said + 1 other point. Have you pulled over the saw with 1, plug lead disconnected from plug, kill switch in run position. 2 plug removed but connected to HT lead ,kill switch as in 1.but plug not grounded to saw body, if you have done this the blue coil could have been damaged as with them it is a big NO No to pull over with nowhere for the spark to go either plug gap or ground They are well known for failing miserably the most fool proof way is Points coil & Nova chip.

Start simple, get a new spark plug...

You just put a big smile on my face, reminiscing! About 40 years ago while working in my father's business, I can't tell you how many guys came in to buy CD boxes, coils, everything BUT a sparkplug, because none of them thought that dumbassed kid could have any idea what he was talking about, and they were too smart (read that c-h-e-a-p) to pay one of us to do their repairs! I ALWAYS made sure to caution them (as the dumbassed kid) that electric components were not refundable. With that attitude, it was very hard not to smirk when they finally brought the mower/snowblower/chainsaw/snowmobile in only to have one of us put a new sparkplug in and have it fire right up!

Again, thanks to everyone for your advice. I solved this problem by converting the saw to a points/condenser setup that I took off an older XL-12. It started right up with the same old spark plug. The crankshaft had a cam lobe that made the switch easy. Anyone need a blue coil to get their blood pressure up? If not I may throw it back in Randy's direction.

If it has the blue Prestolite coil on it...

Those ignition coils can and will fail at the drop of a hat. It was the same coil used on a Pioneer Farmsaw. I have seen numerous Prestolite coils fail. I have had saws that were runners, set em on the shelf one day and come back the next to no spark whatsoever.

That coil is notoriously one of the weakest electronic ignition coils ever used. Some guys will convert their saws over to a points ignition which would require the points/box, flywheel and coil to make it happen. You can buy NOS blue coils for around $75, but you may be ahead to make the conversion, it's less expensive and more reliable, and really not a whole lot of work. Moreover, you just don't know how long that $75 blue coil will last.

With the failure rate on those coils so steep I pretty much choose not to sell them.

I can hook you up with a good points rig, if you're interested Feel free to drop me a PM

Now that man has some coil knowledge. Of all the things that me jump up and down throwing stuff Electricity is usually the worst, always baffled me voodoo I tell ya. Listen to Chris I think he has been down this road a time or three.

Chris

Hi All
I bought a reproduction "blue coil" off ebay that was made in south america for $50............
I put it on and the damn thing ran for only a little over an hour and lost spark!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think i am going to switch flywheels and the coil that goes with that flywheel and hope it runs!!!!!!!

Hi
I have another SXLAO that won't oil.............
I tried all the obvious things to check......like saw bar slot,filter in oil tank,and even changed the worm gear pump..........
still won't oil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back